Hanged Man Rx as finances

Pique Dame

I got this guy reversed (or in Hanged Man speak, rightside up) when asking how buying a specific home would affect me financially. Upright would mean having to make a lot of sacrifices to make ends meet, which would be true of any home purchase. But if he's in reverse, could that indicate not being able to make enough sacrifices in order to get by, or being able to but resenting the financial commitment and/or additional strain? Other cards in the spread re: how it would affect me emotionally and spiritually were very positive. But this is the one question mark I have and, unfortunately, is the most important aspect of all.

Barleywine

I often think of the Hanged Man reversed as being liberated from previous assumptions that may have been too narrow and subjective, leaving his sacrificial state behind. It's like he's been turned loose to apply what he gained from his "inner work." I sometimes liken the upright HM to a cocoon awaiting metamorphosis and the reversal as showing emergence of the butterfly.

Pique Dame

I often think of the Hanged Man reversed as being liberated from previous assumptions that may have been too narrow and subjective, leaving his sacrificial state behind. It's like he's been turned loose to apply what he gained from his "inner work." I sometimes liken the upright HM to a cocoon awaiting metamorphosis and the reversal as showing emergence of the butterfly.

So, from a financial perspective, would you read this as the financial situation not being as bad as previously thought?

Barleywine

So, from a financial perspective, would you read this as the financial situation not being as bad as previously thought?

It seems to me you would have the inspiration and resourcefulness to make it work. Since the HM is the quintessential Water card, reversal suggests emotional expansiveness rather than claustrophobic self-absorption. One of my general meanings for reversal is "being caught on the horns of a dilemma." but the HM seems to be one of those cards where the burden is eased through redirection. Perhaps it means looking past the presumption of difficulty and over the wall to find greener pastures. It could mean waking up from previous apprehensions and gaining the realization that the assumed difficulty is not a foregone conclusion. I like to think of it as becoming "unstuck."

Since the numerological counterpart of the HM is the Empress (1+2=3), maybe you could tap her calm sense of harmony and fulfillment, or maybe find some other way to bring her creative fruitfulness to bear.

ETA: Just so everyone is aware, I'm looking for the "silver lining" side of the Hanged Man rx here since I want to align it with the reportedly positive cards of the rest of the spread. Simply seeing it as a "wet blanket" outlier doesn't seem quite right since it's "method of delivery" is subtly altered by the reversal, making its essence slightly more accessible for direct application rather than the other way around. Doesn't reversal of a reversed image make an upright? :).

Sharla

With The Hanged Man Rx, this shows your already struggling to remain in control and on top of your finance situations, which aren't even working well anyway......(so why even be wanting to buy another home). Your focus seems to be with finances and also of the "having and getting".......hence quint being empress ruler venus, and previous card justice ruler venus.

I wouldn't say that your finances right now would enable you to do this house purchase.....where yes you may feel restricted and feel like you would like to be free to do this, but with this card being rx you don't seem to be in a good position.

Thirteen

Going down headfirst into deep and crazy waters....

I got this guy reversed (or in Hanged Man speak, rightside up) when asking how buying a specific home would affect me financially. Upright would mean having to make a lot of sacrifices to make ends meet, which would be true of any home purchase. But if he's in reverse, could that indicate not being able to make enough sacrifices in order to get by, or being able to but resenting the financial commitment and/or additional strain?
The Hanged Man, as I see it, is a willing sacrifice and a desire to see things from a different perspective in order to move on, to continue forward. Though paused, the pause is between steps. It is necessary to do this, to sacrifice, and with this sacrifice enter that alternative-perspective-moment, in order to know how to go forward successfully and achieve a goal.

Or, if we go with the "traitor" meaning, it's necessary to be different and even rebellious in order to change the status quo.

I don't think that upright means being unable to make sacrifices or making a lot, so much as not being ready or willing to make those sacrifices. And the reason you might to be ready to make that sacrifice is because you're not ready for how buying this specific home will "turn your world upside down" (sic). Which is the place you'll end up for a while after making that financial sacrifice. Which says to me that you may want to investigate this specific home further. it's not just a financial sacrifice that has to be made; you'll also have to go through the financial hoops, craziness and up-side-down-ness of home buying. Maybe you don't yet know how deep you'll have to go into all that to get this home. Beyond just money, all the red-tape and dickering and taxes and such. Find out more. You may find that you underestimate how much patience and practice you'll need to stay under these particular deep and crazy waters.

starrystarrynight

My feeling is that the Hanged Man, rx, is advising you to look at the potential purchase from many more angles than you are currently considering (i.e. maybe just not the financial aspects of it.) From an intuitive stance, it makes me feel that you should literally look at the construction of the house--the actual angles and how the structure has settled on its foundation. Make sure you get all the building inspections you can to be sure the building is physically secure before investing. If there are problems, you will know not to invest. If not, the extra scrutiny will encourage you that you are going in with eyes wide open and the confidence to do so.

Pique Dame

It seems to me you would have the inspiration and resourcefulness to make it work. Since the HM is the quintessential Water card, reversal suggests emotional expansiveness rather than claustrophobic self-absorption. One of my general meanings for reversal is "being caught on the horns of a dilemma." but the HM seems to be one of those cards where the burden is eased through redirection. Perhaps it means looking past the presumption of difficulty and over the wall to find greener pastures. It could mean waking up from previous apprehensions and gaining the realization that the assumed difficulty is not a foregone conclusion. I like to think of it as becoming "unstuck."

Since the numerological counterpart of the HM is the Empress (1+2=3), maybe you could tap her calm sense of harmony and fulfillment, or maybe find some other way to bring her creative fruitfulness to bear.

ETA: Just so everyone is aware, I'm looking for the "silver lining" side of the Hanged Man rx here since I want to align it with the reportedly positive cards of the rest of the spread. Simply seeing it as a "wet blanket" outlier doesn't seem quite right since it's "method of delivery" is subtly altered by the reversal, making its essence slightly more accessible for direct application rather than the other way around. Doesn't reversal of a reversed image make an upright? :).
HM is one of the cards the tarot like to use as my significator (Pisces = Neptune) so the water card aspect is definitely not lost on me. The cards I pulled for how I would feel living there emotionally and spiritually were positive, but what my decision will ultimately come down to is the cost, and that's where this card seemed to fall short. Anthony Louis's interpretations for HM Rx were bad financial decisions, inability to meet financial obligations, bad investment, etc. He and I don't 100% agree on all our interpretations, but it definitely gave me pause. I've run the numbers and it would be very, very tight, but not impossible, for me to swing it. I fear I'd resent the obligation and wish I'd held out for something cheaper or just continued renting. So, I'm not sure if this card is warning me against that or what.

With The Hanged Man Rx, this shows your already struggling to remain in control and on top of your finance situations, which aren't even working well anyway......(so why even be wanting to buy another home). Your focus seems to be with finances and also of the "having and getting".......hence quint being empress ruler venus, and previous card justice ruler venus.

I wouldn't say that your finances right now would enable you to do this house purchase.....where yes you may feel restricted and feel like you would like to be free to do this, but with this card being rx you don't seem to be in a good position.
Actually, right now, I'm doing better financially than I ever have before. I'm just putting everything I can into savings toward a future home purchase, so I've had to make a lot of sacrifices to my social calendar in order to stay on top of things. I'm living well below my means these days, but I'm ready to invest in something that's going to earn me equity rather than just paying rent, which is like throwing my money away every month. To go from renting dirt-cheap with roommates to owning my own place is definitely going to be an adjustment, so I'm fully prepared for the sticker shock. I just feel this place is a bit over-priced and I may want to wait for something else to get listed that fits my budget a bit better.

The Hanged Man, as I see it, is a willing sacrifice and a desire to see things from a different perspective in order to move on, to continue forward. Though paused, the pause is between steps. It is necessary to do this, to sacrifice, and with this sacrifice enter that alternative-perspective-moment, in order to know how to go forward successfully and achieve a goal.

Or, if we go with the "traitor" meaning, it's necessary to be different and even rebellious in order to change the status quo.

I don't think that upright means being unable to make sacrifices or making a lot, so much as not being ready or willing to make those sacrifices. And the reason you might to be ready to make that sacrifice is because you're not ready for how buying this specific home will "turn your world upside down" (sic). Which is the place you'll end up for a while after making that financial sacrifice. Which says to me that you may want to investigate this specific home further. it's not just a financial sacrifice that has to be made; you'll also have to go through the financial hoops, craziness and up-side-down-ness of home buying. Maybe you don't yet know how deep you'll have to go into all that to get this home. Beyond just money, all the red-tape and dickering and taxes and such. Find out more. You may find that you underestimate how much patience and practice you'll need to stay under these particular deep and crazy waters.
I've been going through so many crazy hoops and roadblocks ever since I started looking to buy nearly a year ago. It's extremely exhausting and discouraging and part of me wonders if it's even worth the hassle, but this is something I really, REALLY want. I'm definitely willing to make the sacrifices I need to make it happen (and in fact am already making plenty of sacrifices in order to save up enough for my down payment). I asked how living in this particular unit would affect me emotionally, spiritually, and financially. And this was what I pulled for the latter, which seemed fairly negative. Obviously I am *willing* to make the sacrifices, but is this card saying it's going to be a bigger financial burden on me than I'm able to stand?

My feeling is that the Hanged Man, rx, is advising you to look at the potential purchase from many more angles than you are currently considering (i.e. maybe just not the financial aspects of it.) From an intuitive stance, it makes me feel that you should literally look at the construction of the house--the actual angles and how the structure has settled on its foundation. Make sure you get all the building inspections you can to be sure the building is physically secure before investing. If there are problems, you will know not to invest. If not, the extra scrutiny will encourage you that you are going in with eyes wide open and the confidence to do so.
Funnily enough, the place I'm asking about is another condo is the exact same community I've been renting in for the past 4 years. It's literally the same building, just a couple doors down from me. I'd say I already know everything about its construction and what day-to-day life here is like. There are a couple things about living here I was looking forward to moving away from, but the location is absolutely perfect as it's walking distance to everything (work, shopping, restaurants, etc.).

headincloud

I'd read the end of a period of waiting or suspension, forward movement.

Pique Dame

I'd read the end of a period of waiting or suspension, forward movement.
How would you relate that to one's finances, though? Money that was in savings coming out? (That's pretty much a given when buying a home, though.)
I actually ran the numbers in a little bit more detail the other day and, while it wouldn't be impossible, it would be very, very tight living in that place and I wouldn't have much left over to do anything fun or if an emergency happened. And all this is assuming I could even get the place for the price I've been pre-approved for, which is $20,000 less than the asking price and $50,000 less than what the owner purchased it for. Even placing an offer would be a huge long shot. It definitely feels like home, but I think the place for me is still out there waiting to be listed. :(