major arcana and the astrological correspondences

Barleywine

Here's a bit more from Robert Wang's Qabalistic Tarot:

"The Paths involving Planets must be considered transitional, as are those Paths to which Elements are attributed: they always represent the action of one energy on another because they link together two Sephiroth. The same may be said for the Paths of the Zodiac, where the action of one Planet on another occurs through the intermediary of the Sign of the Zodiac. It would be pleasant to be able to suggest that this is not actually as difficult as it appears, but such is not the case. To understand these concepts may require a herculean effort on the part of one who approaches them purely intellectually."

I bet you're sorry you asked! :)

Barleywine

Here's a table I just put together showing the attributions for the Tree of Life, with the Sephiroth, Paths, Hebrew letters, Major Arcana and astrological correspondences on it showing how the arrangement of cards and astrological features play out. It will give you a rough idea of the Golden Dawn's thinking, but as Wang said, it will take some effort to see correlations in everything. It's late here and I haven't proof-read this closely, so it may have typing errors.

Attachments

• Paths on the Tree of Life.pdf
    42.4 KB · Views: 180

Thirteen

Here's a bit more from Robert Wang's Qabalistic Tarot
I do so love that book! One of the best books for understanding *some* of the whys behind how the tarot we typically use came to be and what the Tree of Life has to do with it all. The comparisons of Waite to Crowley are invaluable.

My assumption was that the OP was, yes, trying to understand the system of why these assignments, but also for ways to remember them (an easy mnemonic to teach). To me, the order of the assignments isn't all that confusing when it comes to astrological signs as the GD did try to keep them in order. Thus Gemini is going to be at the "Fool's" end and Aquarius at the "World's" end. Then again, I'm not enough of a tarot scholar to know when the majors were given numbers and put in to the order we now take for granted. They weren't numbered or ordered in early decks. If the order was pretty set by the time the GD made these assignments, then that informed their decisions for Zodiac signs, at least. Low number Majors = low number signs. High number = High number.

If, however, the order was less set and more flexible (if they could have made more drastic switches than just Strength & Justice)...well, then the order of the majors didn't influence the choice of zodiac as much as I'm thinking it did.

Barleywine

If, however, the order was less set and more flexible (if they could have made more drastic switches than just Strength & Justice)...well, then the order of the majors didn't influence the choice of zodiac as much as I'm thinking it did.

I haven't read a scholarly history on the Golden Dawn's contribution other than Regardie's short one, but I know they got some of their ideas from Eliphas Levi. I think the astrological connections along the paths between the planets in the Sephiroth may have as much to do with it as the order of the Major Arcana, as well as the order of the Hebrew letters on the Tree and the grouping of the "simple" letters (signs), "double" letters (planets) and "mother" letters (primary elements). Right now I'm wondering whether the tarot cards were just "along for the ride," since astrology is a much older system.

Regarding flexibility, I did make my own stab at moving things around to make better astrological sense (see above), but it wreaks havoc on the Tree and I haven't reconciled that in my own mind yet.

nicky

thanks but still arghhhhhhhhhhh

I am off the computer weekends so hence this late reply.

As you both acknowledged, I am really looking for a system.
Just like I tell my peeps; Kabbalah, Astrology, Numerology, etc etc are all systems which can add to your knowledge but no one system is going to dovetail. That said, the minors were easy-peasy for them and the elemental nature of the courts was straightforward.

Mnemonic devises are great (wands are wood - wood burns- fire) but I am coming to the conclusion that it is going to be a cheat sheet for them. I was hoping someone here had seen a formula for my students.

For example, look how convoluted this is:

Starting with the vernal equinox we get though the first 6 signs...
4 Emperor – Aries
5 Hierophant – Taurus
6 Lovers – Gemini
7 Chariot – Cancer
8 Strength – Leo
9 Hermit – Virgo
then suddenly we are hit with a planet
10 Wheel of Fortune – Jupiter (ruling Sag and Pisces)
back to the signs with Justice …
11 Justice –Libra
then we have an element
12 Hanged Man – Water
ok three more signs :
13 Death – Scorpio
14 Temperance – Sagittarius
15 Devil – Capricorn
planet again
16 Tower – Mars (rules Aries and Scorpio)
two signs:
17 Star – Aquarius
18 Moon –Pisces
planet :
19 Sun – The Sun (rules Leo)
element:
20 Judgment – Fire
planet:
21 The World – Saturn (rules Cap and Aquarius)
element:
0 The Fool – Air
planets
1 The Magician – Mercury (rules Virgo and Gemini)
2 High Priestess – Moon (rules Cancer)
3 Empress – Venus (rules Libra and Taurus)

Naturally, I am planning to point out symbols on the cards (hey look your Empress card as a Venus glyph) - but grrrr LOL

Thanks for your suggestions...

nicky