"I can't heear you. La la la la la"

gregory

This was a woman who had recently been getting Death repeatedly in her self-reading and didn't want corroboration. She didn't get any, although the appearance of Judgement as the outcome did give her pause.
Oh I get that. :D It's just people who say "I don't want to hear I'm going to die" never seem to register that they WILL, so it's a daft thing to say. And there are those insane government pronouncements that show up from time to time - "there were x many "preventable" deaths this year" - well, no; there MAY have been that many deaths that were earlier than they might have been, but no death is PREVENTABLE.

The study is very interesting - it does indeed show that older people would rather experience life without knowing what's coming. I don't think I ever wanted to know ahead of time - but at 72 - I certainly don't want to know now. Except that it would be a great help to me to know when my mother will die, so that I can be sure to be on the right side of the Atlantic - as I am her sole executrix :D

DownUnderNZer

I was actually on my phone, so I forget the "limits" and that is probably why it went through about 6 stories with no end in sight. :bugeyed:

With it being PDF anyhow doubt that would have opened.

I like the "divorce prediction" mention in there. :D:D:D

Most were women, but just a fraction passed men for both countries.
More than half were not married. Like 60% for both countries.
Only 90 for Germany for Uni and 155 for Spain ONLY it seems a few are still "studying".
Close to 50% for old people being interviewed in Germany compared to any other age group, but Spain was close in numbers for each group as in 300+ for each age group.

Wonder what would come up if it was done in Australia or the USA.

I tend to think when younger people go to readers they want to know about careers, travel, marriage, finances, and kids etc.

When old people go it is about travel, lotto, their kids, and grand kids, plus whatever.

No one really wants to know about "death" or "bad things" if it is not happening in their lives nor sometimes about the "gender" of their unborn child, so is it really a fair observation in regards to "ignorance".

DND :)

You mean - they think they won't ? I am pretty sure I will... })

The link is right there in the article - plain to see. But if you REALLY can't see it - here it is for your edification.
http://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/releases/rev-rev0000055.pdf

VERY interesting- thanks Crystalseas.

I wish the article (and many others) would stop referring to people who are "risk-adverse" - it's risk-averse. The STUDY has it right :)

gregory

The link is in the first sentence of the article, not down the side or at the bottom or anything (just for others who may be looking.)

The study does actually cite smaller studies in the USA which had the same kind of results. I think they'd translate the same in most Western countries. I'm not so sure about - say - India or China.

DownUnderNZer

Be interesting to do a cross cultural study of it.

However, I think when it comes to readings most people go to find out "certain things" and not usually about a topic like death or the after life unless they have personally lost someone loved by them.

And what if that 1% mentioned did want to know everything and went to 10 readers and 4 readers out of the 10 gave different answers or no answers to some of those questions at all.

Predictions are just predictions - not 100%.

The link is in the first sentence of the article, not down the side or at the bottom or anything (just for others who may be looking.)

The study does actually cite smaller studies in the USA which had the same kind of results. I think they'd translate the same in most Western countries. I'm not so sure about - say - India or China.

Barleywine

Oh I get that. :D It's just people who say "I don't want to hear I'm going to die" never seem to register that they WILL, so it's a daft thing to say. And there are those insane government pronouncements that show up from time to time - "there were x many "preventable" deaths this year" - well, no; there MAY have been that many deaths that were earlier than they might have been, but no death is PREVENTABLE.

The study is very interesting - it does indeed show that older people would rather experience life without knowing what's coming. I don't think I ever wanted to know ahead of time - but at 72 - I certainly don't want to know now. Except that it would be a great help to me to know when my mother will die, so that I can be sure to be on the right side of the Atlantic - as I am her sole executrix :D

There is usually an unspoken "not anytime soon" post-script to that request. Once, quite a while ago, our daughter bought my wife a birthday card that showed a picture of the scythe-wielding Grim Reaper in a car's side-view mirror, which had the typical warning on it: "Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear." Anxiety-based marketing disguised as black humor. :)

gregory

There is usually an unspoken "not anytime soon" post-script to that request. Once, quite a while ago, our daughter bought my wife a birthday card that showed a picture of the scythe-wielding Grim Reaper in a car's side-view mirror, which had the typical warning on it: "Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear." Anxiety-based marketing disguised as black humor. :)
I need that card. Where did she get it ? })

Tanga

Thanks for that article CrystalSeas.

Hmm... and I don't personally think "a person’s reluctance to accept godlike power and see the future would carry over to - a fear of disease screenings"... :)

I think most people come for readings because they want to know if all that they're hoping and striving to achieve will manifest... not - their "final fate". Lol.

Isn't this how all therapy works, Barleywine? ;)

Yes ofcourse. Lol.

I like this:

It takes so much energy to stream in an interpretation balanced enough to deliver a reading that can be practical for the querent. How I can lend them additional insight to work better? While also making them more aware of other things that may be going on on other levels that they're not considering. We can't reach across the screen/table and smack them upside the head like we'd do ourselves. We can see the problem in full fruition. For our querents, they may need affirmation to see they're on the right track or they may need to be told some smaller home truths in order to show them there is more work to be done relating to the query. (and also all the other nuggets of information to offer)...

:)

Ace

I had a client tell me outright last week "Don't tell me anything really bad, like I'm going to die!"

I have nervous clients say that all the time. "I don't want to hear anything bad." then I give them a cheerful, upbeat reading (since I LOOK for good news for them.) and at the finish they say, "you didn't skip anything bad did you?"

The fact is, bad happens and good happens. I really don't want to know what BAD will happen to me except to make the suggestion I can possibly fix it and make it NOT happen or not be as bad as that. Does anyone REALLY want to believe their life is scripted and out of their control?

So, to give an example: I recently told my brother that unless he does something about it, he was heading for dementia. (I don't want to go into details now, but it was based on things I saw with my own eyes.) this was NOT a prediction saying that he had no control, but a warning, I said, "If you don't change things now......"

That is my 2 cents. I would have said, I DON'T want to know. I noticed that more religious were more excepting of knowing the future than the non-religious. So maybe that that is why I DON'T want to know. But there it is.

barb

empress's dress

In the way that they would rather be in "denial' than to face "anything harsh" or "the truth".

facing something harsh is not always helpful. people who love it harsh are masochists. good for them. truth doesn't have to hurt.

how is not wanting to know the future as it is directed at this moment being in denial. do you think life is fated? that there is no free will? it usually shows an obsessive and/or controlling character, period (i can be obsessive, i know) to want to know the future. almost every single reading of the future i have ever received regarding the future has been wrong. or a few months later there is a different future. did the cards help me? they calmed me down or they devastated me or they helped. more often they devastated me. but that's because of the way the information is relayed i think. this card reading isn't for everyone. it doesn't help everyone. that's life.

some people refuse to want to know the future on principle and some on experience. the ones who refuse on principle too bad for them at least seeing if not not knowing is better for them. but the ones who have based it on experience good for them. they made a choice they believes helps them. just as much as you believe you made a choice that helps you. either which way neither type is harming the other one. and there really are circumstances in people's lives that someone who believes it's better to know the future would be better off and vice versa.

look if i came across a cassandra during the trojan war i hope i wouldn't have been so dumb to not recognize her talents. she's one in a billion there. i know 1 in real life.

funny i was going to take a break from here and then here is this post.

i don't think it is lalalala at all. living life and experiencing its delight is a wonderful gift. the surprise of meeting someone on the street and falling in love (it's happened to me on a few occasions and turned into to many year relationships). the delight of seeing a sunset. the delight of wandering into a bookstore and discovering, well, a book. the delight of just wandering period and seeing the world around without a script. sometimes you really don't want spoilers. i know for my love life i don't want spoilers. heartbreak or success. same with work life etc. anyway i still have to put in the time to make anything happen. there are a few times i do need to know -- when i am in danger. and when that does happen. it is life. we can't protect ourselves from everything. and i am very certain that knowing who i am going to fall in love with next is not something i ever need to know.

and even if i do need some information, it is still hard to find the right person to relay the message though. so many people just don't match. so many people lack sensitivity. i am not a masochist. i love the truth. i love surprise.