Elemental Dignities Study Group Discussion & Index Thread

ravynangel

SO it doesn't actually matter if the majority is Earth, the cards are read two by two, or does this depends from the way the reader wants to read it? and how do you decide that? :D

ALso why is Judgement connected with fire? I thought it was connected with Pluto = Water

deleted :)

firecatpickles

Fiery Scorpio, ruled by Mars, was "given" a water sign in order to temper it (Pliny, I think). Now I am wondering if the same idea with Judgement can be found here.. that its energy is too fiery and has to be tempered by water?

Winterchild

New on board...

I am new to this thread but thanks Rodney for the invite...

I hope to join in and will play catch up on the exercises... good to be here.

rwcarter

Welcome Winterchild! I hope to post the next exercise (8 and I see I didn't update the index in post 1) next weekend as this one is almost over and I doubt I'll have time during the week.

Xrysalida

clarifiers

So I am here with one question :)

When you have card lets say water and you ask for a clarifier and you fire then do interpret this card individually as a meaning, or do you interpret the fire card in it’s weakened form, or do you interpret the water card in it’s weakened form?

rwcarter

So I am here with one question :)

When you have card lets say water and you ask for a clarifier and you fire then do interpret this card individually as a meaning, or do you interpret the fire card in it’s weakened form, or do you interpret the water card in it’s weakened form?

When using EDs, you already have two or three cards AB or ABC. With 2 cards AB, B is the clarifier of A. A doesn't need a second clarifier and B is a clarifier, so why would you clarify a clarifier? With 3 cards ABC, B is clarified by A and C so doesn't need a third clarifier, and A and C are clarifiers so why would you clarify a clarifier?

If you're only talking about a single card, then you're not using EDs. In that case I would look at the similarities between the original card and the clarifier as I agree with Thirteen that the clarifier gives you the same answer but in a different way instead of giving you additional info. So I wouldn't look at either card as being weakened. But if you want to use EDs in that instance, the original Water card would be weakened by the Fire card because the Fire card is clarifying the original card and therefore doesn't have a separate meaning of its own.

Rodney

Xrysalida

When using EDs, you already have two or three cards AB or ABC. With 2 cards AB, B is the clarifier of A. A doesn't need a second clarifier and B is a clarifier, so why would you clarify a clarifier? With 3 cards ABC, B is clarified by A and C so doesn't need a third clarifier, and A and C are clarifiers so why would you clarify a clarifier?
Yes you are right, I haven't connected the the A&C card as the clarifiers for B, I saw them as supporters or manipulators so maybe sometimes an additional meaning might be needed

If you're only talking about a single card, then you're not using EDs. In that case I would look at the similarities between the original card and the clarifier as I agree with Thirteen that the clarifier gives you the same answer but in a different way instead of giving you additional info. So I wouldn't look at either card as being weakened. But if you want to use EDs in that instance, the original Water card would be weakened by the Fire card because the Fire card is clarifying the original card and therefore doesn't have a separate meaning of its own.

Rodney
I also ask this when it comes to uses like particular spreads, like a C. C. lets say when you want to clarify a position, so here I come to the next question, I was weighing more on what you explain here.

How do you use ED's in a C.C.?
How do they affect each other? and do they affect each other or are just being read individually?
Maybe I should open a thread on this :)

rwcarter

I realized on the way in that I was using the same word (clarifier) to mean two different things. Where I talked about elemental pairs and triads, "modifies"/"modifier" would have been better words as the flanking card(s) do change the meaning of the central card. Clarifiers (the way I see them) provide another way of saying the same thing as the card being clarified.

As for using EDs in a CC, I posted on that somewhere here in UTC sometime in the last 2 or 3 years. Of course that doesn't help find the post! :laugh: Once I get the work day started I'll have to do some searching to see if I can find the post. I'll link to it from here.

Rodney