4 of Swords as "Blockage" card

Trogon

In my daily reading about my eating issues, I got the 4 of Swords as the "blockage" (using the Hermetic Tarot). I studied the card a bit and felt that maybe it wasn't exactly something "blocking" me, but advice about overcoming the blockage of being at work (which can be frustrating and/or very stressful at times).

Here are my notes from my journal; "I need to maintain a calmness in order to move ahead spiritually. A troubled mind will hamper my spiritual self and have the effect of weaking my will." As further information; the "Issue" card leading to this card was The High Priestess, which is what lead me to the more spiritual side of things in this reading.

Usually, in these readings, the "blockage" card will be more "oh - this thing is keeping me from ...". But this one seemed to be giving more direct advice. (Oh, other than my new deck reading, this is only the 2nd reading I've done with this deck.)

I was wondering if others have experienced this kind of "shift" in a reading? And whether you noticed it as being with a specific deck, or relating to other things?

BeyondtheVeil

Blockage could be that you are doing too much 'resting" and the eating/weight/stress is adding up. Maybe more exercise for stress relief would be helpful? Walking, swimming, dancing, etc.. whatever is fun for you and helps you relax. When you are having fun and laughing.. you are relaxed and happier. Less eating/etc.

That is just my take. I also like your version as it honestly could be multiple messages for you.

Brightest Blessings!
BeyondtheVeil

Barleywine

I've broadened my perspective somewhat on "blockage" or "obstacle" cards to include aspects of both challenge and opportunity. I've taken to calling them "major motivators." So the 4 of Swords could indicate mental inertia or sluggishness, but it could also show a state of peaceful, centered equanimity, a supportive platform from which to rebound, with the proper attitude (not one of benign detachment but of active anticipation).

The main thing I see with all of the Fours is that they're fundamentally stable with the potential to become stagnant if allowed to linger. Four isn't very far into the number sequence, and is considered the "first completion" because the dynamic series has gone as far as it can with the energy initially available to it, and needs a re-energizing "kick in the pants" (courtesy of the Five) to continue its progress. So the Four represents a momentary stop on the road to take stock and regroup (it reminds me of the old Coca-Cola slogan, "The Pause That Refreshes") before embracing the transformative and re-invigorating thrust of the Five, which I think of as the "breaking eggs to make omelets" card (the Four is the egg and the harmonious Six is the omelet). I also see the Five as a figurative nutcracker and the Four - because of its solidity - as the tough nut that needs cracking: it can become a kind of "shell" that we're reluctant to leave, and embodies the idea of "comfort zone" almost as powerfully as the Six.

EmpyreanKnight

It may also mean that you are not making the requisite efforts or you're not being proactive enough in dealing with your eating issues. If you've reached a plateau in your dietary goals or you feel like whatever course you embarked on is not really working for you or if you've not really expended as much effort as is needed for this initiative to be a success, then it might be time to take things seriously. Go through as many relevant and credible resources as you can so that you have as much information as you need to make the correct decisions. If necessary, consult a professional. Just make sure that this time you would give it as much thought and action as you can and you will be rewarded. You get what you give.

Trogon

Thanks all very much! All of the insights are helpful. I suspect that the idea of lingering, not moving forward are probably about right. You know ... call me Sandstone ... I lead sedimentary life. I recon it's time to start getting out for daily walks again.

ihcoyc

All of the Fours have a strong 'establishment' and 'stuck in a rut' vibe, with the Four of Swords indicating stale and safe ideas that have been tried before. RWS expresses this as the quiet of a tomb.

headincloud

High priestess and 4S both advise you to withdraw and be still, the HP will sit in meditation for hrs to get to the bottom of something and you might need to do the same. You may be craving seclusion. Much is shifting from the inner realm under the priestess and we can be unsociable and indifferent to new experiences and people and even within a relationship the need for privacy and space needs to be respected. Add the weight of the 4S and the need for retreat and regrouping becomes a very strong influence.

You might need to come to terms with something in the 4S and you may be looking back over the past searching for clues into how past conditioning is affecting current behaviour.

Is it that you want to retreat and time and pressures won't allow, or are you refusing to go there perhaps? Are you studying the hidden aspects and your own psychology?

Trogon

All of the Fours have a strong 'establishment' and 'stuck in a rut' vibe, with the Four of Swords indicating stale and safe ideas that have been tried before. RWS expresses this as the quiet of a tomb.

Hmm. Yes, I can definitely see this with the 4 of Swords. I wonder if the "safe ideas" are those that have worked before though?

High priestess and 4S both advise you to withdraw and be still, the HP will sit in meditation for hrs to get to the bottom of something and you might need to do the same. You may be craving seclusion. Much is shifting from the inner realm under the priestess and we can be unsociable and indifferent to new experiences and people and even within a relationship the need for privacy and space needs to be respected. Add the weight of the 4S and the need for retreat and regrouping becomes a very strong influence.

You might need to come to terms with something in the 4S and you may be looking back over the past searching for clues into how past conditioning is affecting current behaviour.

Is it that you want to retreat and time and pressures won't allow, or are you refusing to go there perhaps? Are you studying the hidden aspects and your own psychology?

This does make good sense, as when I have done larger readings on the issue, it definitely stems from things in the past. There are definite psychological issues. :| And in fact, these are not only issues that need to be studied and worked on over the long-haul, but need to be dealt with on a daily basis (hence the daily readings).

Thanks!

ihcoyc

Hmm. Yes, I can definitely see this with the 4 of Swords. I wonder if the "safe ideas" are those that have worked before though?

Yes, that exactly. Four is solidity, stability, structure. Four of Swords applies this to the world of ideas, and the world of conflict. Ideas that have worked before, but in the context of your reading are now in the way. Or, a long standing but uneasy truce that settles nothing.

Grizabella

It may be saying just what you mentioned---your life is too sedentary. You asked what your blockage was in your eating problem. You didn't mention whether it's anorexia or bulimia or whatever (and there's no need to tell us what it is :) ) but the blockage may be that you just don't seem able to overcome whatever it is and it's like you're just frozen in place.