Wildwood Cafe (Study group): 4 The Green Man

Linh

What a beautiful card! Though I don't have the deck, I'm seriously considering adding it to my wishlist now. It's just that I'm a little bit of a sucker for traditional naming just for my poor brain.

I could feel a lot of power in this card, and maybe the greed for power as well. The energy is both grande and overwhelming. I love how his eyes are so expressive; aggressive and direct. A breathtaking card for the Emperor. :)

yirabeth

One thing I find interesting in regards to the Cerne Abbas Giant, though -- one of the legends about it is that it promotes fertility. According to wikipedia (yes, I know it can be wrong -- with at least two Brits here, I'm guessing someone will tell me if this isn't true :D) dancing around a maypole would bring fertility to childless couples. Or even just sleeping on the figure...or having sexual intercourse on the figure!

This brings a bit of a softer side than the standard "stern ruling man" of the Emporer...perhaps the Green Man is more in touch with the natural rhythm of life...

Flaxen

yirabeth said:
One thing I find interesting in regards to the Cerne Abbas Giant, though -- one of the legends about it is that it promotes fertility. According to wikipedia (yes, I know it can be wrong -- with at least two Brits here, I'm guessing someone will tell me if this isn't true :D) dancing around a maypole would bring fertility to childless couples. Or even just sleeping on the figure...or having sexual intercourse on the figure!

This brings a bit of a softer side than the standard "stern ruling man" of the Emporer...perhaps the Green Man is more in touch with the natural rhythm of life...
Yes, that is the legend. :)

He really is the stuff of nature - the very life force of the land.

jcwirish

Linh said:
What a beautiful card! Though I don't have the deck, I'm seriously considering adding it to my wishlist now. It's just that I'm a little bit of a sucker for traditional naming just for my poor brain.

I could feel a lot of power in this card, and maybe the greed for power as well. The energy is both grande and overwhelming. I love how his eyes are so expressive; aggressive and direct. A breathtaking card for the Emperor. :)

I agree Linh. I certainly get the feeling that this leader could become a tyrant if he loses his balance. He has in intensity that I've not felt in many other cards in this position. It reminds me of how beautiful, yet deadly the natural world can be. We need to appreciate and admire it, but never take it's power for granted.

yirabeth

He does have a very aggressive look and stance, that the Green Woman doesn't have....

jcwirish

yirabeth said:

It also seems that this figure shares more in common with his counter part, Th Green Woman, then the traditional Emperor does with his Empress. Usually we se the Emperor in a more stark and cold environment. He needs his Empress to soften him and provide the balance he can lack. This Figure is fully immersed in nature. He is a creator, as well as, a source for destruction. Does that seem accurate?

Frayling0

yirabeth said:

Exactly right ;) It's believed that if a couple sleep together on the giant, they'll conceive. The Green Man is emperor of nature - a much softer side to life than the Kingdom the standard Emperor resides over.

Flaxen

jcwirish said:
It also seems that this figure shares more in common with his counter part, Th Green Woman, then the traditional Emperor does with his Empress. Usually we se the Emperor in a more stark and cold environment. He needs his Empress to soften him and provide the balance he can lack. This Figure is fully immersed in nature. He is a creator, as well as, a source for destruction. Does that seem accurate?
Yes, I think so. Creator/Destroyer both sides of the same coin. He needs to kill sometimes to keep the web of life in balance.

Frayling0

When I look at him from afar, he almost looks like a tree.

Earthy and rooted.

Linh

Agreed, he appears very grounded and realistic.

Makes me wonder, there are elements assigned to specific Major Arcana cards right? At least I feel that way.