Greenwood in the Wild

ldiddy

I'm not sure how exactly to write this post, but I know people here will appreciate my discovery/reckless impulse/excitement at finding a copy of the Greenwood Tarot in the wild.

I was on my way to a retreat this weekend and after lunch with a friend decided to stop at the nearby new age/pagan store since I was "in town." I knew I would buy a deck a deck to sate myself and support the independent store, etc. etc. Anyhow, I walked into the store and found a lovely wall filled with decks. Not only did they have tons of decks, but the front copies were open so shoppers could actually look at all the cards, feel out cardstock and really get a great idea of what the decks were like. I found this to be fantastic because some decks I thought I might want, I was able to pass on and others which I wasn't expecting to appreciate (like the Impressionist Tarot) I discovered I really liked... Well, that was all well and good until I walked back up to the display case on the walk in... I'd glanced a copy of Navigators Tarot of the Mystic Sea and book on the way in and thought to take another look.

I guess long-ish story (perhaps teasing you a bit by not mentioning all the other decks in the display case) shorter, I spied a Greenwood Tarot box. I asked the sales lady what they wanted for it and she named a price, more than $500 but less than $1000. I had her take it out of the case. (You all know that I was doomed already, right?) The box was in good condition, the book was inside and flawless and the cards were still in the shrinkwrap with The Fool on top. There is/was no paper insert. I bought it. Maybe I paid too much, but supply and demand, right? I was willing to part with the money. Besides, I was supporting the local store!! :/

My understanding is most of the decks they had in the display case were from the collection of a local college professor who recently passed away. His brother brought the decks in to this shop and they are/were selling them off one at a time. I need to call the store and speak with the owner because I would like the gentleman's name. He clearly had a wonderful collection and also many papers by his students (what on exactly, I don't know). I want to look him up. I wish I had taken one of his classes!

I was so paranoid all weekend until I brought it home. It stayed with me in my cabin and rode shotgun in the front seat of my car. If I slammed on the brakes, I shielded the deck. If

I've taken the ultimate Tarot collector plunge now and am glad to have this rare deck and book in my possession. All the decks I have, I read with, but this one I think will stay wrapped up...

P.S. I also bought an older copy of the Golden Dawn Tarot. It's great too :)

nisaba

I knew there was a Greenwood, and a Wildwood (I have them both), but I haven't heard of this one.

JylliM

Nisaba, it's the Greenwood, which ldiddy found 'in the wild'. :)

willowy

I'm not sure how exactly to write this post, but I know people here will appreciate my discovery/reckless impulse/excitement at finding a copy of the Greenwood Tarot in the wild.

I was on my way to a retreat this weekend and after lunch with a friend decided to stop at the nearby new age/pagan store since I was "in town." I knew I would buy a deck a deck to sate myself and support the independent store, etc. etc. Anyhow, I walked into the store and found a lovely wall filled with decks. Not only did they have tons of decks, but the front copies were open so shoppers could actually look at all the cards, feel out cardstock and really get a great idea of what the decks were like. I found this to be fantastic because some decks I thought I might want, I was able to pass on and others which I wasn't expecting to appreciate (like the Impressionist Tarot) I discovered I really liked... Well, that was all well and good until I walked back up to the display case on the walk in... I'd glanced a copy of Navigators Tarot of the Mystic Sea and book on the way in and thought to take another look.

I guess long-ish story (perhaps teasing you a bit by not mentioning all the other decks in the display case) shorter, I spied a Greenwood Tarot box. I asked the sales lady what they wanted for it and she named a price, more than $500 but less than $1000. I had her take it out of the case. (You all know that I was doomed already, right?) The box was in good condition, the book was inside and flawless and the cards were still in the shrinkwrap with The Fool on top. There is/was no paper insert. I bought it. Maybe I paid too much, but supply and demand, right? I was willing to part with the money. Besides, I was supporting the local store!! :/

My understanding is most of the decks they had in the display case were from the collection of a local college professor who recently passed away. His brother brought the decks in to this shop and they are/were selling them off one at a time. I need to call the store and speak with the owner because I would like the gentleman's name. He clearly had a wonderful collection and also many papers by his students (what on exactly, I don't know). I want to look him up. I wish I had taken one of his classes!

I was so paranoid all weekend until I brought it home. It stayed with me in my cabin and rode shotgun in the front seat of my car. If I slammed on the brakes, I shielded the deck. If

I've taken the ultimate Tarot collector plunge now and am glad to have this rare deck and book in my possession. All the decks I have, I read with, but this one I think will stay wrapped up...

P.S. I also bought an older copy of the Golden Dawn Tarot. It's great too :)

Awesome find-guess you were meant to have that deck so it found its way to you: :) Please take it out play with it though :)

Alta

haha... great story! I would have been doomed financially in that shop. :)

Gwynydd

What a great find!

ldiddy

Awesome find-guess you were meant to have that deck so it found its way to you: :) Please take it out play with it though :)

I'm sure I will, but just enjoying the nearness for now.

G6

WoW, $500! From the title I somehow thought you were going to find it at a thrift shop or something. I'm sure it's a worthwhile investment. Maybe I should get in the mindset of having mad money to spend on decks! šŸ˜Š

banbha

Haha...wonderful story! When you're ready, enjoy your journey into the Greenwood!