Vedic Astrology

Kibeth

I see. I thought aspect lines were a purely Western astrology thing. The diamond-within-a-square Vedic chart provided by the site looked nothing like the circular planetarium thingy drawn by Western sites.

Both systems must intermingle after a fashion.

Minderwiz

Kibeth said:
I see. I thought aspect lines were a purely Western astrology thing. The diamond-within-a-square Vedic chart provided by the site looked nothing like the circular planetarium thingy drawn by Western sites.

Both systems must intermingle after a fashion.

The square chart is a format that was used in the West till certainly the seventeenth century and beyond and it is part of the common Vedic/Western tradition.

'Evil planets' are either natural malefics, such - Saturn and Mars (Dave's description to a T); or accidental malefics, such as Lords 6, 8 and 12. ANY planet though can be accidentally malefic, inclusing Jupiter (I've seen Jupiter as a significator of cancer in a number of charts). Alternatively Mars and Saturn can actually be the good guys, if essentially dignified and well placed in the chart. That holds for both Western and Vedic Astrology.

Incidentally there ARE some Vedic Astrologers who do use the outers but it's difficult to fit them into a Vedic framework without having to seriously tinker with it. The same of course applied in the West but here the framework was largely lost when the tinkering occured.

jfiallo0982

Minderwiz said:
The square chart is a format that was used in the West till certainly the seventeenth century and beyond and it is part of the common Vedic/Western tradition.

'Evil planets' are either natural malefics, such - Saturn and Mars (Dave's description to a T); or accidental malefics, such as Lords 6, 8 and 12. ANY planet though can be accidentally malefic, inclusing Jupiter (I've seen Jupiter as a significator of cancer in a number of charts). Alternatively Mars and Saturn can actually be the good guys, if essentially dignified and well placed in the chart. That holds for both Western and Vedic Astrology.

Incidentally there ARE some Vedic Astrologers who do use the outers but it's difficult to fit them into a Vedic framework without having to seriously tinker with it. The same of course applied in the West but here the framework was largely lost when the tinkering occured.
How would you know when Jupiter is related to cancer? Thats interesting.

dadsnook2000

Offering some basic "KNOWLEDGE" for what it is worth.

Jupiter rules expansion, enlargement, along with other attributes. The growth of Cancer cells is unbridled and "runaway" in nature, growing without limitations.

Many Cancers are the end result of the body not being able to consistently rid itself of wastes --- often wastes associated with eating and digestion, but this can also be wastes in the blood, lymphatic and breathing systems. Bad eating habits, working conditions, sleep patterns, and weight management issues can all affect the body's processes in a regular manner. Therefore it is necessary to both review each planet in your chart relative to what it rules or symbolizes as well as to objectively look at anything in your life that contributes to you looking and acting different from the "average" person you see around you and on TV.

One place to start understanding effects that can affect the physical body is to look at the planets 1) in terms of their medical associations, and 2) when they are in conjunction, and 3) when in square or opposition. The signs ruled by those planets in harsh aspect to each other will often point to the site of a Cancer or other physical problem.
** Each planet has specific body functions that it relates to.
** Conjunctions amplify and focus the planet's symbolic associations, hence they can promote excessive actions or practices in your life.
** Squares and oppositions can point to various stresses. The associated planets will indicate what these stresses might express themselves like.
** Signs ruled by stressed planets can indicate the symptom ares of any "dis-ease" to show up at.

Sun and Moon patterns give an overall picture of health. Stress is often seen with Moon-Pluto-and (Mercury or Saturn) combinations, but any afflicted Moon can produce stress. Mercury (since it rules two common signs) can create or instigate problems with other hard-aspected planets. When the common signs (Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius, Pisces) are on the angles they suggest a more inactive or less focused person (other indicators not being noted) which can contribute to less exercise, focus and activity as well as a lack of self-control and a purposeful life.

You can find sources that will tell you that certain sign-degree positions mean a proclivity to one thing or another. I can't comment on those. But the above simple guidelines should get you started. Dave

Some sources

Kibeth

I took a long time to decide if the descriptions were accurate. It is hard to be objective. So I can't comment much about most, but when contrasting and comparing Moon Libra's description to Gemini Moon's, these points stood out to me as wrong.

Libra: The complexion of persons born in Libra or Tula sign will be fair, their stature middle-sized,

Gemini: Persons when born in Gemini or Mithuna is rising have a wavering mind, often tall and straight in nature and active in motion, forehead broad, eyes clear and nose, a bit snub.

First, I know a Libra Moon shares my age/sunsign and she is TALLER than I am. I'm Gemini Moon.

Second, I've been told by the people around me that my nose is huge and long after my dad, not snub as it says here. So genetics must play a role.

Kibeth

@Dave, very informative post. The part connecting Jupiter to cancerous cells is particularly brilliant.

Minderwiz

Kibeth said:
Second, I've been told by the people around me that my nose is huge and long after my dad, not snub as it says here. So genetics must play a role.

Yes genetics DO play a role. I recently read an article in the Tradition Journal by Sue Ward looking at the use of conception charts. In short her argument is that temperament (or rather it's development up to birth) is determined at conception and this in turn is dependent on the temperaments of the biological parents. Temperament isfundamentally passed on through genetics. It will be modified both during gestation and later through learning - but modified, not changed. I've obviously oversimplified a long article,

Thanks also to Dave for picking up the ball on Jupiter, as I've been out for much of the day. I was referring to Jupiter becoming malefic accidentally - becaue of it's position in the chart.

In one horary chart which involved cancer, Saturn ruled the sixth House of the illness, (through Aquarius) Saturn was retrograde in the eleventh in and peregrine in Gemini, - So we have a debilated malefic ruling the disease. Not surprising.

However the accidental malefics are interesting. The Moon was right on the sixth cusp and was Lord 12 (and obviously in opposition to it's own house cusp). Jupiter was Lord 8 and placed in the twelfth House in Leo (where it was very strong in essential dignity - a powerful planet. It was retrograde and sextiled Saturn (Lord 6 and the disease) Here we have an easy aspect, so there is no obstruction of Jupiter's influence on Saturn, but Jupiter is not playing a 'nice guy' He rules the eighth House (death, fear, worry,) and is himself in the twelfth (afflictions and hidden or secret enemies). The cancer had only just been diagnosed, it had been hidden, and the Moon on the sixth cusp is another indicator of the hidden nature of the disease. Note that Lord 6. Lord 12 and Lord 8 all combine here but only one is a natural malefic.

Edited to Add

The cancer was caught in time and the patient survived - the strong and easy flow of 'death' was stopped by medical intervention.

NamasteIndia

Kibeth said:
Interesting find. I got one part this:

If evil planets are found in Gemini, trickery and deceit will characterize their nature.

What are 'evil planets' in astrology supposed to be?
Vedic astrology is based on a mythology story of Samudra Manthan. When lord shiva removed the poison from the sea and made it into Amrit(Eternal Life giving drink) there was a gathering of all devta(Gods) who got a chance to drink this Amrit
But two evil Rakshas(demon) got into this line after changing their looks and took a sip from the Amrit
Moon God found out this two demons and disclosed their true identity to Lord Vishnu who took out his Sudarshanchakra and cut the head of the demon.
The head became Rahu and tail became Ketu. i.e North Node and South Node.
This demon could not be killed since it tasted the Eternal life giving drink.

So the evil demonic planet which harasss mankind his ketu and Rahu and since Moon tried to expose their fraud so Moon becomes very weak when it sits with either of this two planets.

And Saturn is also considered hard task master

NamasteIndia

well i could not get any info from that site...

Minderwiz

NamasteIndia said:
Moon God found out this two demons and disclosed their true identity to Lord Vishnu who took out his Sudarshanchakra and cut the head of the demon.
The head became Rahu and tail became Ketu. i.e North Node and South Node.
This demon could not be killed since it tasted the Eternal life giving drink.

So the evil demonic planet which harasss mankind his ketu and Rahu and since Moon tried to expose their fraud so Moon becomes very weak when it sits with either of this two planets.

And Saturn is also considered hard task master

Thanks for the mythological background, which I found very helpful.

One thing that I'd like to ask you about, is that as I understand it Ketu (South) and Rahu (North) are the Moon's node. In later Hellenistic Astrology these are Cauda Draconis and Caput Draconis respectively - the tail and head of the dragon. So there is clearly a link between both Western and Vedic Astrology here (I'm not going to speculate on which direction the names travelled, that's a question that's beyond me).

My question here, is that these are points rather than planets in Western Astrology (and in fact too). Does Vedic Astrology see them as planets?

I can well understand the weakness of the Moon here. As eclipses occur when the New Moon or Full Moon is near the nodes (and thus very near the ecliptic).