Help with Neptune in composite

Minderwiz

Sorry if I was a bit up front but the way you phrased that previous post and asked how you would know if one was a liar and if they could be trusted. I was thrown by the move from the general issue of Neptune in a composite to a very specific question about lying and trustworthiness.

My answer stands though. If you want to assess capacity to lie you look at Mercury, not Neptune.

In general:

Planets act to their nature - Venus, Jupiter, Moon and usually Sun are 'good' and Mars and Saturn are bad. Good and bad here are not moral judgements, they're statements about how well they help you achieve your potential.

However in specific situations planets even 'good planets' can act in a dysfunctional way and 'bad' planets can act in a very functional way. You can identify these situations in four broad ways

Firstly look at the essential dignity or lack of it which the planets have. Saturn in Libra, Capricorn or Aquarius can behave very well and be 'good' in providing support to realising your potential. Venus in Scorpio, Aries, or Virgo can be a pain.

Secondly you look at their placement in the chart, relation to the Sun and aspects. Placements in angular houses accentuates their influence whereas being in cadent Houses, reduces their dynamism, placements in 2nd, 6th, 8th and 12th which are not advantageous to the person whose chart it is (native). Relationship to the Sun includes being retrograde or direct, being combust, being oriental or occidental and being fast or slow.

Thirdly you look at which houses they rule in the chart, Venus retrograde, and combust in Scorpio, ruling the eighth might not be the sort of Lady you'd like to meet. Ruling any of the 4 inconjunct houses makes a planet accidentally 'bad', be it Venus, the Moon or Jupiter or Saturn or Mars. Though the extent to which the act against achieving your potential depends on their essential dignity and intrinsic nature.

Finally you look at the aspects to a planet, in particular do they come from planets in bad condition or ruling inconjunct houses. Aspects depend on the planets that make them, rather than the type of aspect but squares and oppositions from planets in 'bad' condition will weaken more than sextiles or trines from the same planets in the same condition. Aspects from dignified planets tend to support, though if they are squares or opposition that support may not come easily.

The outers can be incorporated into this system, with not much difficulty for 2 and 4. Essential dignity (1) is a problem because of their very slow movement. House rulership is more contentious but you could still do that using the modern rulerships Most modern writers seem to treat them more as intrinisically 'bad', despite the 'good' side that they are supposed to have. More often than not Neptune is delusion, deception, drugs and dissolution compared to spiritual elevation. All you need to do is look at the references to these planets to see this is the effective approach.

Ronia

No problem at all! I fail to phrase correctly because I don't know much yet. Just learning. :) I'll follow your advices and we'll see what I'll come up with. :)

Minderwiz

For a table of essential and accidental dignities and debilities follow the sticky

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=138202

The scoring system is really guidance only for beginners but it's a useful rule of thumb.

Any essential dignity is better than no essential dignity so a score of more than 1 suggests some 'good' when it comes to functioning well.

Being fast and direct and free from the Sun's beams suggests quick acting, and angularity or one of the other good houses (good as in advantageous to the native) suggests action can be well directed.

So planet with reasonable essential dignity that's direct, fast and free from the Sun placed in a good house suggests that it will function well according to it's nature and role in the chart (house placement and house rulership), assuming there's no bad aspects involved.

Planets with debility (Detriment, Fall, Peregrine) and impeded - slow, or retrograde or combust and badly placed will tend to act either poorly or at the extremes of their natures - for example Mars can be violent, bullying, arrogant, restless, etc. Venus can be riotous, pleasure seeking, spendthrift, spending time in the bars, and bawdy, or just plain lazy and dissolute. Remember Venus rules gambling, pleasure, and sex!

The skill or art comes in learning to blend the characteristics you identify because most planets will have a mix, they might be in their own sign but retrograde, or in detriment but angular - so how near or far they are from their 'proper' role is a judgement.

Ronia

Yes, it's an art. I'm afraid I got a bit scared already since I have so much to learn but I'll take it one step at a time, starting from your first post and will go slowly. It's a bit overwhelming but I'm willing to learn. :)

I didn't know planets in 2 and 8 houses are not at their best. I've always felt sorry I had no planets at all in my 2nd just like I rarely have money. And I'm a Scorpio with quite a full 8th house which I somehow felt was right to me...

Minderwiz

Yes, it's an art. I'm afraid I got a bit scared already since I have so much to learn but I'll take it one step at a time, starting from your first post and will go slowly. It's a bit overwhelming but I'm willing to learn. :)

It's a bit like learning Tarot - 78 cards to learn individually and then possibly reversed meanings and then their interelationship in any number of spreads LOL Actually it's a bit more difficult still because the possible variations are greater and there's disagreement about rules and methods between Astrologers.

It's one reason for keeping things as reasonably simple at the start. Use only major aspects and keep the number of planets and points to the basics. Only begin to extend that, once you are confident you have the basics and even then only if you feel that there's something still to be added to your approach.

Ronia said:
I didn't know planets in 2 and 8 houses are not at their best. I've always felt sorry I had no planets at all in my 2nd just like I rarely have money. And I'm a Scorpio with quite a full 8th house which I somehow felt was right to me...

Of the 4 the second is the best position by far. Most of these houses deal with what we can't control or what is less important or what is undesirable (such as sickness or death or being institutionalised or having enemies). Money is usually a consequence of employment or social standing, so the tenth gives you some indication of your earning potential and the second some indication of the material possessions and income you'll accumulate. Clearly the fit is not necessarily perfect, you might have a great career and become famous and earn a lot but spend it, gamble it, or dissipate it in various ways and end up struggling. Alternatively you might have low employment prosepcts (in terms of job status) but conserve what you do earn and live reasonably comfortably. On balance though job status and earning potential tends to reflect what material possessions and money savings you acquire.

The eighth has nothing to do with Scorpio, except that both share the eighth position in an ordinal system, unless we are considering medical matters and parts of the body Getting your eighth house planets to function well depends on their essential dignity and other accidental dignities besides house placement. It's perfectly possible that those other factors will be good and therefore they work reasonably though not as well as if they were in more advantageous houses. It's not a disaster though if it were coupled with several other debilities, then that planet may well end up as something that rarely functions as it should (according to its nature). Indeed for some things placements in these houses might well be desirable because they help keep a bad influence out of the way. Generally speaking though, you want your strongest planets by essential dignity in good positions and with good accidental dignity to score high success but remember for most of us, we're going to live average lives. so it's only to be expected that some planets will be in 'bad' houses or in poor essential dignity. And some people make more of a few good planets, whist others squander a surfeit of planetary 'riches', i.e, the planets incline, they do not compel.

Ronia

It's one reason for keeping things as reasonably simple at the start. Use only major aspects and keep the number of planets and points to the basics. Only begin to extend that, once you are confident you have the basics and even then only if you feel that there's something still to be added to your approach.

That's what I've been doing these days. I'm trying different things and trying to see what I understand about them and their possible relationship. I'm staying close to the main planets now and I reduced the orbit, so I don't see anything from trine on.

Thanks for the clarification about the houses. I thought the 8th was Scorpio because it's Pluto home, right? But then I know you don't work with Pluto. Mine is there though. LOL Also Mercury and Venus. I don't mind my Venus there at all. I'm not into gambling or one-night-stands, on the contrary. I've always felt she gave me much needed depth but she is also quite serious when it comes to relationships. :) Mercury too is something I like. I love mysteries, I'm quick in catching a secret... Not much but I've never felt negatively about those guys in the 8th. :)

Isn't it true that each planet will also play a different role in different people's lives? I mean, for example Saturn - often presented as bad. Yes, but he is my Ascendant ruler and most of the beautiful things in my life happened when Saturn was transiting the particular house. Like both professional and personal relattionships boomed while he was transiting my 7th. Now he is almost out of my 8th and I feel I learned a lot. Yes, there were endings but they brought a relief which otherwise I may not have had the boldness to achieve. Overall, I'm very fond of the old guy. :)

My Saturn and Moon are close (I think), she's end Cancer, he's beginning Leo, 5 degrees apart.

Ronia

One thing I noticed yesterday in their synastry is his Venus is conjunct her South Node but her Venus is conjunct his North Node. I'd never seen such "misplaced" double whammy. I'm not into the karma thing as I'm a Christian but this combo puzzles me. It looks like he and his affection/love, etc. are not as good for her as her love/affection, etc. are for him... Am I thinking in the right direction here?

It's also inteersting for me that her Venus conjunct his North Node right on the cusp of 2/3 houses which makes me think of friendship with benefits... or for benefits. But I fail to see on which part. Will the Node exeprience Venus's intentions or the other way around?

His Venus conjuncts her South Node in the 4th and this Venus has a back from Mars. I said before, I feel he is pushing inside, intruding into her inner life... May be that's why I feel his affection may not be so good for her. She may feel like "forced" in her privacy or in her beliefs, there where she thought she was secure.

Minderwiz

That's what I've been doing these days. I'm trying different things and trying to see what I understand about them and their possible relationship. I'm staying close to the main planets now and I reduced the orbit, so I don't see anything from trine on.

Good move, Keep to the essentials and add the bells and whistles later on when you have mastered the basics.

Ronia said:
Thanks for the clarification about the houses. I thought the 8th was Scorpio because it's Pluto home, right? But then I know you don't work with Pluto. Mine is there though. LOL

Your Pluto might be there and there are lots of people who have Scorpio on the cusp of the eighth but that is accidentail i.e. it's not a feature of every chart, it's a specific, unpredictable event, peculiar to some charts. There's no necessary link between the eighth house and Scorpio and most people don't have Scorpio on the eighth cusp.

So in general, Scorpio has no connection to the eighth but in specific charts we might well find Scorpio on the eighth cusp. So long as you recognise this difference it makes interpretation easier because you can address the specific circumstances of a particular chart without being distracted by preconceived views.

Ronia said:
Also Mercury and Venus. I don't mind my Venus there at all. I'm not into gambling or one-night-stands, on the contrary. I've always felt she gave me much needed depth but she is also quite serious when it comes to relationships. :) Mercury too is something I like. I love mysteries, I'm quick in catching a secret... Not much but I've never felt negatively about those guys in the 8th. :)

Just because a planet is in the eighth doesn't mean that you will feel negative about it. It means that the planet is not advantageously placed for you. The two are quite different. You can like or feel comfortable with something which doesn't function as well as it should (and sometimes not like something that functions well). Also as we grow we learn both to live with and get the best out of what we have.

Ronia said:
Isn't it true that each planet will also play a different role in different people's lives? I mean, for example Saturn - often presented as bad. Yes, but he is my Ascendant ruler and most of the beautiful things in my life happened when Saturn was transiting the particular house. Like both professional and personal relattionships boomed while he was transiting my 7th. Now he is almost out of my 8th and I feel I learned a lot. Yes, there were endings but they brought a relief which otherwise I may not have had the boldness to achieve. Overall, I'm very fond of the old guy. :)

There's seveal issues here:

Firstly we need to distinguish between the 'actor' and the 'role'

Saturn is a planet that is associated with structures and thus limits of various kinds. At his best he's able to bring authority, method, consideration, and dimension to his role. At his worst he's more fearful, diffident, unsure that acting is going to produce results and therefore prone to do nothing. Where he lies between these two extremes depends on his sign placement. And remember they are extremes, most people will have a Saturn somewhere in between.

Secondly His role in the chart depends on his house placement and the houses he rules. I haven't got a copy of your chart, but if we take Saturn as your Ascendant ruler, he'll be expressed mainly through you, and he helps determine your approach to the world. How well he performs this role, depends on his sign placement (and position within the sign).

I have Saturn conjunct my Ascendant, I love the guy too but he's a challenge. In my case he's in detriment - so he brings an analytical and structured dimension to my approach to life, indeed I love analysis. However he also is responsible for a certain lack of confidence and pessimism, which has taken me a long time to overcome - and my first reactions tend to be pessimistic rather than optimistic.

Ronia said:
My Saturn and Moon are close (I think), she's end Cancer, he's beginning Leo, 5 degrees apart.

That's definitely an applying conjunction.

Minderwiz

One thing I noticed yesterday in their synastry is his Venus is conjunct her South Node but her Venus is conjunct his North Node. I'd never seen such "misplaced" double whammy. I'm not into the karma thing as I'm a Christian but this combo puzzles me. It looks like he and his affection/love, etc. are not as good for her as her love/affection, etc. are for him... Am I thinking in the right direction here?

The contact is more important than which end of the nodal access is aspected. So to the extent that the Nodes have significance for the soul, then these contacts would stress that these two are soul mates.

However, like you I have doubts about importing Hindu beliefs into a Western Astrological context.

Ronia said:
It's also inteersting for me that her Venus conjunct his North Node right on the cusp of 2/3 houses which makes me think of friendship with benefits... or for benefits. But I fail to see on which part. Will the Node exeprience Venus's intentions or the other way around?

Well the usual view is that Venus will be modified by it's connection within a chart, but clearly we're talking inter chart comparison here, so I don't actually see any modification at all, we simply have contact between two charts . The contact tells us something about the strength of the relationship and how well the two 'fit' together.

Ronia said:
His Venus conjuncts her South Node in the 4th and this Venus has a back from Mars. I said before, I feel he is pushing inside, intruding into her inner life... May be that's why I feel his affection may not be so good for her. She may feel like "forced" in her privacy or in her beliefs, there where she thought she was secure.

Well her beliefs are ninth House. The fourth House is family, family roots, home, real estate and land so I wouldn't particularly see this as intrusive. However as the size of the chart in the link is quite small it's difficult to check the size of aspects or completely disentangle the aspects from this placement.

Minderwiz

Traditional view of the Nodes

I had a search through to see if I could find anything specifically concerning the Nodes and came up with an article by Ben Dykes (see my review of his book Traditional Astrology For Today).

He points out that the Medieval Astrologers made no connection of the Nodes to Karma and tended to see them as I said earlier, North Node benefic and South Node more malefic. He makes another point that the North Node tends to increase (in principle good) and the South Node tends to decrease (in principle bad) but, it's not quite that simple. If the North Node is with benefic planets, such as Venus or Jupiter, it increases Venus' benefic effects. However if it is with a malefic, such as Mars, then it will increase it's undersireable effects.

Similarly whilst the South Node can decrease the benefic effect of Venus, it can also decrease the malefic effects of Mars. Again remember that if either Saturn or Mars is well dignified, they may not act in a malefic way.

Finally he says that the South Node was seen as emptying or destroying the affairs of the House in which it was placed.

Now, the examples he gives are all horary ones, rather than natal ones, so how far he would argue these hold in natal Astrology is open to some question. I'm shortly going to begin reading some medieval texts on natal Astrology so in a month or so I may have a bit more info.

I checked in Lilly's book and he recognises the Medieval interpretation but says that in his (horary) practise he's always found the North Node to be benefic and the South Node to be malefic.

My own feeling is that you're better not placing much emphasis on the synastry involving the Nodes, especially if you are not a believer in Karma.

http://www.bendykes.com/articles/nodes.php