Housewives tarot - the love is not there folks

shadowdancer

Well, to start with I have the Zombies. Love them to bits. You would have to tie me up to get them out of my clutches.

So, having seen the enthusiasm for the Housewives I decided to purchase it. Good old BD and their free postage world wide. It was not an expensive purchase.

So, they arrived today. I loved the box and the cardstock thickness and card dimensions.
The majors looked fun and the book certainly shed light on them. Yep, I could see myself getting some good readings with them.
Then I saw the minor arcana pips. Well, I have to say - I felt totally deflated. They didn't scream at me with personality or quirkiness. My instinct was telling me they were just slightly above being semi-illustrated in comparison to the Majors, and did not have depth to them. For sure one or two seemed to have something you could enjoy running with, but in the main they appeared very one dimensional. The courts picked up the baton again and looked good (Loved the BBQ guy on King of Swords), but I feel so darned let down by the numbered suits.

Has anyone else have this happen? Did you manage to work through it, or did the deck end up unused or traded? Am I the only person in the world who doesn't feel enthused by it?

I guess I have been spoilt by the fact the zombies were very well illustrated throughout, and that the deck had consistant strength in each area.

I know the Housewives has many fans. I know many will say to me to stick with it. I just feel a little deflated and out of love with it. Which is a shame, as I really did have high hopes of working with it.

Padma

you just got it, right...? :) Give it a minute...

This deck is not done in my favourite art style...but much like you, I love the box and the deck stock and the majors are amazing!

I use this deck when I want a one-two punch, "truthy", unvarnished answer, and it is brilliant for that. It's like consulting a sharp-tongued, acerbic Auntie for advice. She won't mince her words and she gets *right* to the point. It's not a deck for dwelling on.

I would never use this deck for more than that, though I understand some pro readers here use it for "girls night out" parties and that it is very well received :)

I still think it is good to have cynical and hard-bitten "Auntie" in the arsenal, however :) and the deck in it's box suits my kitchen to a T. I don't love or dote on this deck, but I like it and it has a practical use.

I think this is a deck that asks you to adapt to IT rather than the other way round :)

PS I have seen other people say they didn't like it - you wouldn't be the first!

SwampLady

i have never felt drawn to that deck, But I know many are. I think If you aren't feeling the deck, you shouldn't have to force yourself to use it simply because others like it. If you want to spend time with, I think that is a good idea, you do like a lot of the cards, and after a bit the others might grow on you, but dont do it, just because it has a fan base.

shadowdancer

I think I should have remembered my golden rule - if you are seeing mainly Majors online and not many from the other sections, it is for a reason.

I had looked up images and was surprised I didn't find as many as I thought I would, but the ones I saw were okay in the main. And now, with hindsight, and another online search I realise most had been of Majors.

I have just had another look through, to make sure I was not doing the deck a dissservice, and didn't get further than the cups. They just left me feeling empty :(

I guess my expectations are too high. This may not be intended as a deck for regular readings, and only one for those short, fun, 'don't expect in-depth' type of reading.

FallynRaiyn

i thought the swords were pretty well done and pentacles too, i get a lot of meaning from them, but i agree about cups. .....some of them the nicest thing i can say about them is "confusing" And for me the wands are a mix leaning towards the bland with some good ones thrown in.

I also agree with what someone else said....about straight to the point.

this is a practical deck, it doesn't read well for spiritual answers or even in depth relationship stuff. But so far it's the best one I have for questions regarding household stuff, everyday life questions, questions regarding children and pets and the mundane crap that all of us deal with everyday. I haven't found a better one yet.

i've started posting in the housewives study group, hoping to make a little more sense of these...maybe joining it might help you connect with it.

magpie9

I think the best advice with this deck is to give it a week or 2 of reading with it. either it will reveal it's charm or not. It's not in the least intellectual or spiritual, and has a sharp funny tongue, which you can't possibly experience or get until you read with it a few times. Really, please test drive it.

shadowdancer

I will give it a chance. But the fact the majors are quirky but have some amazing takes, whereas the majority of the pips are bland really does niggle me at the moment. I just feel I am looking at a deck of two distinct parts. I accept it is not a deck for those spiritual or intellectual readings, but nor is the zombie deck - yet that one is far from bland and is consistant throughout.

And yes, I will take a look at the study group to see if I am missing anything. I take on board those who already work with it may see something in those pips that could perhaps lead to a change of heart.

Le Fanu

I've had it for quite a few years and I don't find it as wonderful as many do.

I do actually think it is very one-dimensional. That's not to say that it isn't used by some to read well. I also find the Morgan Greer quite one dimensional and lacking in things to get my teeth into but I like it. I reach for it in certain moments when I don't want clutter and esotericism.

But if you don't find the whole 1950s houswife/gingham tablecloth kitsch endlessly funny it's a bit of a one gag wonder. It's amusing for a while but for me it's a curio and nothing more. Excellently produced and conceived etc etc.

I struggle to see it as a deck that has hidden depths. And I wonder how many times you can rake over a card in the study group and come up with lots and lots of takes.

FallynRaiyn

I struggle to see it as a deck that has hidden depths. And I wonder how many times you can rake over a card in the study group and come up with lots and lots of takes.

as i'm studying it more and more, i'm finding that it does seem a little one dimensional. It only answers certain questions really well. Any other questions, especially deep or intellectual or any questions trying to find insight and it just laughs at you.

krystalkitty

I like to use it for the relationship questions and i enjoy the minors too.. I like the court cards especially the knight of swords perhaps as it was my first deck i feel most connected to than i would have i learnt with a different deck..