Tarot in Movies

Bhavana

In the US there was a TV show in the 1980s called Tales from the Darkside (it still shows up endlessly in reruns). One of the episodes featured a tarot card reader, and the whole show was about tarot. It's about a cursed and evil tarot deck that readers keep trying to get rid of on each other. I wish I could remember the name of the episode, but I can't.

ETA: I just looked it up. It's called "In the Cards." I shoulda known, lol.

I'll have to look on youtube for it, you can find a lot of those old episodes downloaded on there.

WolfyJames

In the US there was a TV show in the 1980s called Tales from the Darkside (it still shows up endlessly in reruns). One of the episodes featured a tarot card reader, and the whole show was about tarot. It's about a cursed and evil tarot deck that readers keep trying to get rid of on each other. I wish I could remember the name of the episode, but I can't.

ETA: I just looked it up. It's called "In the Cards." I shoulda known, lol.

Yeah, I remember that serie that was showing short scary stories. If my memory serves me right though, because I remember that episode, it wasn't a cursed tarot deck but a plain deck of playing cards. The last reader who was trying to get rid of the deck made the mistake to switch the deck with another reader right before the other reader read her, and she ended up being killed in an alley while she had gotten the deck back and was trying to burn it.

tarotbear

I can't believe there are posts in this thread that I wrote in 2004 and 2005! :)

Metafizzypop

Yeah, I remember that serie that was showing short scary stories. If my memory serves me right though, because I remember that episode, it wasn't a cursed tarot deck but a plain deck of playing cards. The last reader who was trying to get rid of the deck made the mistake to switch the deck with another reader right before the other reader read her, and she ended up being killed in an alley while she had gotten the deck back and was trying to burn it.

Yes, that's the episode. But the deck was definitely tarot. In fact, it's the RWS. The camera zooms in on cards here and there, and we see the Knight of Swords a few times. Death and the Tower are seen as well.

Le Fanu

Flicking through Empire magazine today I noticed that there is going to be another Jude Law Sherlock Holmes film released in January 2012. The still showed a woman - gypsy style - fanning open a deck of tarot cards (an antique Oswald Wirth deck...mmmm.. not 19th Century hence not Sherlock Holmes' time period)...

Of course, Death was uppermost.

Tomsde

I think the first Sherlock Holmes movie I this series was somewhat anachronistic, a splash of steam punk, I suppose the movie director does think the audience would know that that Tarot deck was unavailable in the 19th century.

Middy1452

The Duellists, with Harvey Keitel and Keith Carradine, features a scene where Liz Smith reads the cards to the female lead played by Diana Quick. I can only remember The Moon card and Liz Smith's character talks about a path that must be walked alone. I would have to check out the scene again to see what deck is used. The film is set during the Napoleonic Wars.

Ross G Caldwell

Flicking through Empire magazine today I noticed that there is going to be another Jude Law Sherlock Holmes film released in January 2012. The still showed a woman - gypsy style - fanning open a deck of tarot cards (an antique Oswald Wirth deck...mmmm.. not 19th Century hence not Sherlock Holmes' time period)...

Of course, Death was uppermost.

Actually the deck used is the 1889 Wirth (a real one at that!), of which only 200 were printed (IIRC).

K. Frank Jensen corresponded with Mary Greer about it:
http://marygreer.wordpress.com/2011/07/15/oswald-wirth-meets-sherlock-holmes/

Middy1452

The Duellists, with Harvey Keitel and Keith Carradine, features a scene where Liz Smith reads the cards to the female lead played by Diana Quick. I can only remember The Moon card and Liz Smith's character talks about a path that must be walked alone. I would have to check out the scene again to see what deck is used. The film is set during the Napoleonic Wars.

The deck is a TdM. She draws the Two of Swords Rx and says this is an argument being fought for it's own sake. Then the 7 of Cups as a difficult choice to be made and finally the Moon as a path only she can walk.