Help plz identifying quartz point and also shape/features

Ayram

I got a cool natural quartz point recently at an estate sale my mom and I happened upon the other day. It was day two of sale so was 50% off of $80.00. So it seems to have been a good deal, though it's not without some imperfections. There's a small rough-ish area at or near one point and a possible tiny chip at the other. Mostly in tact though! I wish I knew more about it but the two ladies who owned the home recently passed away and no info was offered. They had a few other nice pieces too but this one seemed more interesting.

https://flickr.com/photos/49559819@N00/sets/72157676397239295

It's just shy of 9.5" long from point to point and at its widest point is about 3" wide I think (kinda hard to measure). It seems to be smoky quartz but I could easily be wrong...it certainly is very pale for being "smoky." At times it seems to have a super small amount of yellow too. And when just sitting around indoors it also sometimes just looks clear. In some light there's a hint of sparkle or glitter on the surface though barely, and there's a fine coat of a permanent looking, tan colored sort of "dust" on parts of it which you can see in some of the pics. I haven't tried cleaning it yet nor cleansing it yet. My mom held onto it after paying for it then gave it to me yesterday on my birthday as a birthday present. ☺️

It also appears to my inexperienced eyes to be double terminated. Although one point doesn't exactly follow a direct line to the opposite point, if that matters, so I don't know. And, one end has more than one point...and there's also a sort of shelf of small clustered points, and the list goes on.

Can anyone tell me if it's indeed double terminated and any other qualities/features/meanings it has? I wonder what it would be worth in a shop?! Not that I want to sell it. I like it! Also wondering how such a large point would be used?

Thank you!

Ayram

Omg I feel so impatient! Does anyone know of a crystal themed forum out there somewhere? I keep thinkimg I've found one but then it's really about something else. I should find a local place to get more info on the crystal - but then I don't k ow if I'd have any better luck going that route, either. 😩😂

Padma

Here is another helpful site for identifying crystals:

https://www.crystalvaults.com/guides-crystals

It sounds like you have a double terminated. Some of them are terminated at the bottom end manually, which may explain why it doesn't all line up perfectly. From your photos, the crystal looks like it might be what is called a "growth interference" crystal (from the odd rough patches you describe). (look it up on the site I gave you - there is a catalog of quartz crystal identifiers.)

You can use your quartz as a healing wand, or for meditation, and self-growth :) it will also be useful for charging other stones or stones set in jewelry on it. It's like a big battery. It will replenish the energy of tired gemstones. It will do the same for you, too! ;)

The pale yellow colouring makes me think it may well contain some trace elements of citrine, though smokeys can also be that pale (I have one that holds the palest shade of brown). Natural, unheated citrine looks an awful lot like a pale, yellow-brown smokey quartz.

Lucky find! Enjoy your crystal :)

linnie

It sounds like you have a double terminated. Some of them are terminated at the bottom end manually, which may explain why it doesn't all line up perfectly. From your photos, the crystal looks like it might be what is called a "growth interference" crystal (from the odd rough patches you describe). (look it up on the site I gave you - there is a catalog of quartz crystal identifiers.)

You can use your quartz as a healing wand, or for meditation, and self-growth :) it will also be useful for charging other stones or stones set in jewelry on it. It's like a big battery. It will replenish the energy of tired gemstones. It will do the same for you, too! ;)

The pale yellow colouring makes me think it may well contain some trace elements of citrine, though smokeys can also be that pale (I have one that holds the palest shade of brown). Natural, unheated citrine looks an awful lot like a pale, yellow-brown smokey quartz.

Much more immediately useful info from the wonderful Padma :D Yes, definitely a double-terminated... Thanks for finding the crystal vault site... I'd meant to aim at that one, but ended up elsewhere...

Healing.... please aim it at me!

Ayram

Thank you both very much! I'd found that site actually (great minds think alike?? Or did I find the link at the top of the forum!) and have been slowly reading it all and my GOODNESS there's a lot to take in - and a lot of possibilities!

- it seems double terminated at first but if you look closely, both ends are actual multi-terminated (ugh!) yet not divided enough to be twins or triplets. So I can't determine whether it would be called double terminated or not!
- both ends also possibly appear to be somewhat cathedral with their numerous smaller spires climbing up toward the larger points.
- I wonder if it's a lemurian quartz because I read just now they are commonly known to have the trait of "ladder line" etching, like mine has - like this one:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/264755...query=large lemurian quartz&ref=sr_gallery_38
...and also similar to this one:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/466726...query=large lemurian quartz&ref=sr_gallery_10
- it seems it might be also known as a large laser wand crystal but I have to look further into that
- it definitely seems to be elestial or have elestial growth, with its tabular, rectangular shapes attached to the surface (a couple with their own points) and with their rounded corners as described in the link you provided - and it says they often have a smoky look. Another Etsy example, for elestial this time:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/489564...query=large lemurian quartz&ref=sr_gallery_14

Padma

I feel for you, they are often hard to identify. I just recently purchased one I felt in love with, a large, 6 sided (uneven and raw looking) clouded quartz, but after trawling all the sites, the fact that one of the windows on the top point was far larger than the others made me see it was an Isis quartz :) (very healing!)

ETA your personal link to the stone lets me see that it chose *you* :love: so it knew it had what you needed!

Ayram

Padma, I keep looking at the link pictures with descriptions and yes I think growth interference might be part of this. I am so absolutely intrigued by this crystal! I just love it! And yes I also womder whether there might be citrine here. However it has several features that now have me wondering if it isn't a lemurian seed quartz, and they (I read) often are tinted in color, either a very pale smoky, pink, yellow or peach. I also wonder if the bit of sparkle it has could be mica. Darn I just have no idea! But thank you.