Hanged Fey ^_^

RiccardoLS

Moongold said:
I am interested in what you say about "key concept". Could this not change very much according to other cards in a reading?

I don't know really how to answer. ^_^
I was only sure of one thing... that it would have been much much easier to choose many facets and many sentences to express the card, than just one.
The real study was to choose "one" among many. And doing so, to give relevance to all that cames to mind.

I do think the key concept is a root that probably wouldn't change much. But it can express in many different ways, as it doesn't ever cover the card.
Think the other way round... Take the "key concept" you have found and imagine how could you portray it in images (and then again, after "how could", "how would".

Here is a list of Key concepts that just came:
- meeting of two worlds
- exploring another world
- being out of your element
- exploring
- stepping back from the flow of life
- surrender to the flow
- curious wonderment
- being passive, going inward, discovering your inner world, keeping the vision.

All togheter they seem at once different and alike.
Now what do you think it should be the next step in the study of this card? ^_^
(and everyone answer, please.... it's part of the study itlself - I have that feeling ^_^)

ric

Moongold

One of the key things about this Hanged Fey is that he consciously chooses to be in the situation that he is.

He is almost hanging on to that stone dolphin to keep himself submerged so that he can look the aged fish straight in the eye.

In more traditional decks one does not get the impression that Hanged Ones really choose to be where they are. They often look peaceful but that is because they have accepted that odd space for the time being. Mostly they seem to have been placed there by the unexpected consequences of their own actions, by the Fates or by accident.

So this Hanged Fey has assertively put himself in his current position, and this is a very different approach I think. It distinguishes the Fey from mortal man, but does not remove his empathy from us.

Perhaps an interesting exercise might be to think of "Hanged Fey" situation in one's own life that might fit, either from past or current experience.

One from my own involves my health. I've had to take quite a potent drug for a particular physical problem for five years. This drug was not designed for my particular problem but medical science a few short years ago thought it might have some benefit so I was prescribed it. It has significant side effects too but I made a choice and took a risk either way.

Last week, with medical support, I decided not to take the drug and stay under the water a little longer to see what happened. Time moves on and maybe things have changed but, apart from some transitory discomfort, nothing has happened and I feel so much better! I plan to stay underwater for a while to see what happens but feel a quiet kind of elation that maybe the cure is now worse than the illness.

Moongold

lunalafey

Sulis said:
Being 'out of your element'.

Love

Sulis xx
That's what I was going to say!

so I will add;
being in un(?)natural territory that has a familiar feel.

RiccardoLS

I have proposed a way to proceed with the Study in the Queen of Chalices thread.

Here I try to formalize the proposal of Moongold (sorry if I may have changed a bit your idea).
Try to find some real life situation you would express with the Hanged Fey.
Imagine you have a great need to express a situation or feeling and you lost all other way to communicate but the deck... and you could draw a single card.
When would you choose to show the Hanged Fey?

Ric

WhiteRaven

When patience in a situation is required to be able to take the time to see things in a different aspect......

tarobones

surrender

I wrote about surrender to the flow earlier because I have always thought of this card in this way, no matter the deck. For me it is the surrender to the power of Spirit in my life, or looking at life from a completely different perspective. As an addicted person in recovery, this card plus the 4 of pentacles (my favorite, I think) so powerfully describe these situations. Peace and blessings.........Michael

MareSaturni

Lack of action

Self-Sacrificing but never giving up faith

Being 'hanged' against will.

The last one is because i doubt anyone would be willing to stay hanged upside down...and the fey guy really doesn't look like he's enjoying himself. But sometimes we all need to be put in another position, even if we don't want ;)

~Yuko

Moongold

miss_yuko said:
The last one is because i doubt anyone would be willing to stay hanged upside down...and the fey guy really doesn't look like he's enjoying himself. But sometimes we all need to be put in another position, even if we don't want ;)

~Yuko

Interesting! I actually think this Fey "chooses" to confront the unconfrontable. He could let go of that stone dolphin at any time and float to the surface.

This to me is one of the critical differences in the Fey Hanged Man and the RWS and Marseille Hanged men. It would be a little harder for them to free themselves. :).

Moongold

Jewel

Moongold said:
Interesting! I actually think this Fey "chooses" to confront the unconfrontable. He could let go of that stone dolphin at any time and float to the surface.
Moongold

I would agree with Moongold. To me the key concept of the Hanged Man is of "marching to his own drum". This by definition is choice.

As for a situation, it could be an ethical situation, taking a stance on something because of belief, no matter what others think. The card shows the fish staring at the hanged man, he is different from them, but he holds on and remains strong and not intimidated.

geministar

He doesnt really want to let go of the dolphin and is finding it difficult but he knows he has to and the look in the fishes eyes remind him he has to let go.

I drew this card the other day and didnt think about the card until the day was over. I had something in particular that I wanted to keep but as the day wore on I started thinking more and more that I had to let it go. In the end I thought "just stop thinking about it and do it!", so I did. This is how I think of this card now.