FAQ - Tarot reading rituals - info please!

Wingéd Mermaid

I do my readings on my coffee table. Setting the mood: I clear the center of the table, get everything I need, play some calming music on my computer, and turn down the lights, light an illuminating candle, and a candle to light my sage with. Preparation: I light some sage and smudge the immediate area, myself, the sack with my cards in it, and ask for the environment, all objects, and myself to be cleansed. I say a prayer for guidance and sight. Reading: I take my cards out of their bag, unwrap them from their cloth and lay it down, then lay the stack down. I light a special yellow candle I have charged for divination purposes. I do some deep breathing to ground/center. I pick up the deck and state my question and what spread I'll be using. I shuffle while thinking about the question (there are a few things I do in the shuffling that I always do) and then lay down the cards when it feels right.

I take a look at the reading, journal the spread then my interpretation. I then say a prayer of thanks and also thank the cards for their guidance. I put everything away.

I also wash my hands before all of this. I feel better if I'm not getting dirt on my cards.

I just realized that I have a lot more ritual than I realized, haha. Then again I'm very new and it helps me get in the right mood and makes me feel secure. I have a feeling that I will simplify and cut things out as I become more experienced and confident.

nisaba

tarotbear said:
What do you do to get yourself 'in the mood' to conduct a reading? Describe the atmosphere you try to create - music, incense, candles, crystals, skyclad, what have you. Why do you do this? Do you do this every single time you read, or only for yourself?

If you read for others, what do you do before their reading? Does this help? What happens of you do not do this?
For myself, I just shuffle briefly.

For others, it's a bit more elaborate. Depends if I'm doing one reading or I'm out for multiples, reading at a venue or a party. If the former, I'll have a nice tablecloth and a couple of decks, and I'll show the same Major Arcana card on both the decks, and ask the person to pick the one that appeals to them.

If I'm reading at a venue or a party, I'll have a pretty table-cover (actually two overlaid), an oracle deck and pendulum off to one side, a 30-minute hourglass (yellow sand and red cedar wood, a lovely ornamental piece), and between four and six decks laid out, again with the same Major Arcana card showing.

When the person has chosen the deck for their reading, I'll give it to them to shuffle, and put the others out of the way so that they don't form an energetic barrier between us. As they shuffle I'll ask if there is a specific issue they want to look at, or are they interested in seeing whatever comes up. I decide on the spread at that point. When they are happy with how they've shuffled, I'll get them to cut the deck into four piles, then put them back together in a different order (getting them to cut into three or five piles means the centre pile is always on top, this way it is more truly random). As they put the deck into one pile I'll put out a hand, and they'll automatically put the deck into my hand which is a physical gesture of giving me consent - consent is very important to me. I'll bring the deck together tightly and hold onto it with both hands for a moment - always less than two seconds, while I ask that I read well for this person.

Then away we go.

nisaba

tarotbear said:
confusing an old man here ...

I saw this thread and saw that I started it ... and had no recollection of doing so ... and saw the date said 2001 !!! Thought I had had an Alzheimer's moment ....
<evil grin> We've moved on from 2005, too.

nisaba

MCsea said:
I just wondered if it was appropriate to add/ask here what do you do to conclude a reading?

I say goodbye, repeat the one thing I want them to remember most out of the reading, and after they're gone, I shuffle the deck they used, put the Major Arcana card back on top, line up the decks again, and I'm ready for the next one or to read my book.

nisaba

starrystarrynight said:
Geeze, am I the only one who asks for positive protection (through brief meditation) before asking the cards to read for me or my querent well? Doing a small ritual like that tends to ground me--I hope (think) it makes me do a better job.

And then I thank the cards when I'm done...if I remember. At least I try to at the end of the day.
I ask for help. I don't think I need protection, so I don't ask for it, and I've never come to grief. Shuffling the deck afterwards is my thanks - they all love being shuffled - it's like a massage to us.

Astraea Aurora

To get into the mood I clear the table and put off any sound (TV, phones, music). I shuffle a few times to warm up my deck, then proceed shuffling while I mentally state the question and I stop when it feels right.
After the reading, when everything is said and done, I put the cards back into the deck one by one with some in-between cards I didn't use at the reading (I'm a pain in the ass when it comes to stacking the reading cards back into the deck as one big chunk) and shuffle thoroughly. If it's a deck where I'm especially fond of one or two cards I pick the card(s) out from the deck and use them as closure card(s) at the front and back of the deck. Then I put the deck into its bag and to where I store it.

Astraea Aurora :grin:

Pandora MoonRaven

I have to admit I always go through a process when I read.

For myself I have a card table set up with chairs in my room. When I want to read I spread a purple satin cloth over the table. I light a purple candle I use for Tarot and incense. I prefer Lavendar because it relaxes me and purifies me. I keep a large quartz point that has points on both ends on the table. Prior to reading I hold the quartz in my hands and do a few deep breaths and relax. I then ask my spirit guide to watch over and offer guidance during the reading. I pick the deck I feel will be best for the reading. I always shuffle 6 times and cut 3 times. I am not sure why that is just what I do. When I am done I envision a white light coming through me and into the deck cleansing us both then going into the earth. When I feel its enough I thank my spirit guide and am done. I also lay out all the decks I have read with under the full moon once a month with a piece of lapis over them for true cleansing.

When I have a client I have an office with a desk I read on. I ask in advance if the client is comfortable with incense and candles. About 10 minutes before they arrive I lay out my cloth, light my candle and incense and sit back and do the same breathing and connection with my guide. When they arrive I offer them tea or water. I shuffle 6 times and then have them cut. I have them leave the cut and I restack them. To me it feels I am mixing our energies at that point. I lay out the cards and perform the reading. To close I give them a wrap up summary of what the reading means and ask if they need any clarification. I then lead them out with a business card. When I return I go through the same process of thanking my guide (if I have no other clients) and using my white light visualization (Done after EVERY reading).

Katherynne

You know, I used to have this elaborate setup I did with a friend when she began reading the tarot -- it made her feel better, I think, to cast a circle and all this? -- but myself, I don't do anything but shuffle. If I'm reading for someone else, I have them shuffle, but that's about it.

The few times I've read for a paying client, I always do things like serve them tea, but I don't know if that counts, haha.

SunChariot

The only thing I consistently do that helps me get in the mood is to light a scented candle.(the one I have now smells like chocolate:heart:)

I like to light a scented candle anytime I do anything spiritual, meditations as well as readings...Actaully I often do do a meditation right before a reading. Not always but often ....if I feel I need it to relax fully and be at my best.

When I read for others, I only do so online, so it doesn't change anything in the way I read.

Babs

Luinbariel

I usually don't do anything at all. I always feel "ready" in a sense, though on occasion I've lit candles for atmosphere. I can't say it really helps me much to do so, though, as I like to burn candles just for fun anyway.