doubt

hermit-IX

it's so easy to doubt in tarot.
was i focused enough, was now the right time to ask, was my gut really telling me to pick the other card.

how do you get assurance that the card you picked was the right one.

i want to re do the reading and see if i get similar results, but i've been on here long enough to know that's a big no no.

RiverRunsDeep

I agree, it is not always easy to read for yourself!

Some suggestions:

Journal it and sleep on it. Sometimes you just need a little more
time before the meaning becomes clear.

Do you have more than one deck? Rather than doing another reading,
you can pull the same cards from a different deck and compare them.
Different decks "speak" in different ways, and some are clearer than
others.

You can always post a question in the "Using Tarot Cards" or "Your
Readings" forums. Sometimes it takes someone else's fresh perspective
to get you headed in the right direction.

HTH :)

Farzon

it's so easy to doubt in tarot.
was i focused enough, was now the right time to ask, was my gut really telling me to pick the other card.

i want to re do the reading and see if i get similar results, but i've been on here long enough to know that's a big no no.
Every belief can be doubted. For me, Tarot was what reinforced my belief in higher powers.

Of course there won't be dramatic events everyday, and sometimes it's simply unnecessary to do a big reading for a week - simply because it's going to be business as usual. But WHEN something big is going to happen, be sure, you'll realize it. The Tarot will throw the same cards at you seemingly for ages, no matter what deck you use. Or imagine, after the reading you think: "that was surely irrelevant.... no idea why I pulled that card" and the next day, it's happening! I had plenty of these experiences myself.

Don't try to stop doubting, I'd say. It's part of the game. And it's going to go away anyway.

nisaba

I have an agreement with my decks that while I'm shuffling and cutting, all the cards that I will be needing are arranging themselves in order on the top of the deck after the final cut. I just peel off the cards I need from the top of the deck. What could be easier?

Although I will never do it, I accept comfortably that other people pick randomly from all over their decks after they have shuffled. The question I keep asking (and no one has answered yet) is that, if you are picking intuitively from all over the deck, why oh why do you waste time shuffling and cutting? Surely you would be guided to the right cards whether or not the deck is shuffled?

madhatter00o

Although I will never do it, I accept comfortably that other people pick randomly from all over their decks after they have shuffled. The question I keep asking (and no one has answered yet) is that, if you are picking intuitively from all over the deck, why oh why do you waste time shuffling and cutting? Surely you would be guided to the right cards whether or not the deck is shuffled?

I suppose I'll answer, then. I don't pick "intuitively." I view the cards as inanimate objects that really can't "project" (or whatever term you prefer) their energy into the universe. It's also why I don't see decks as having personalities.

Anyways, to get back to the matter of picking from within the deck, what I do is fan out the cards. The ones that are fanned unevenly (for whatever reason) are the ones I usually end up choosing. I don't see this as the cards leading me to them, but rather the other way around: unconsciously, I'm bringing the right cards to my attention. My arm/hand muscles are choosing the cards for me by making some of the cards more and less visible.

Because which card is in which spot when I fan the cards matters to some extent, shuffling and cutting still remains important.

Anyways! To address the issue of doubt about the Tarot...

Doubt is a natural part of life, so why shouldn't it extend to the Tarot? Especially because we are usually inquiring about things which cannot otherwise be known (other people's thoughts, the future, etc.); we have no certainties or guarantees about our interpretations. It all relies on your intuition about how "right" you are.

And the times when things don't go as you predicted? I see those times as learning experiences, primarily because, for whatever reason, we didn't think a particular card or set of cards could mean what they turned out to mean. Maybe we were inquiring about our career and didn't think emotional decisions would be associated with it. Now, we do, and we can look for those associations next time.

To get assurance that the card I chose is "right," I just try to think about how I conceptualize the Tarot. Any card can be relevant at any moment; the ones that appear are the ideas and aspects of life that I should pay some attention to. If you see the Tarot shuffling and cutting process as an exercise of randomness, then you can begin to stop feeling accountable for each card that's drawn. I'll admit, it's a total cop-out, but it works for me.

My suggestion for "re-doing" a reading is, instead of completely re-drawing cards for the same question with the same or another deck, hold the same question in mind and look for the same cards from another deck. Lay them out in the same pattern as the original (which you haven't put away, right? ^^), and compare them. Or, just look at the second deck. Sometimes, we can get different insights into a matter just by changing up the images on the cards.

Farzon

The question I keep asking (and no one has answered yet) is that, if you are picking intuitively from all over the deck, why oh why do you waste time shuffling and cutting? Surely you would be guided to the right cards whether or not the deck is shuffled?
To connect with the deck and get it ready for the topic. At least that's my approach.

But I used your approach successfully as well. I will just use more time on shuffling.

Krakken

Trust on your tarot not matter what.

but remember... with a book ,everybody can read tarot. To do an oracle (past, present, future) sorry... that´s not for everybody.

1. work with your favorite deck
2. take a picture of every ready for studying carefully and compare it with others.
3. stick to your deck till you know it so well, that you dont need even open it for a reading.

then the assurance comes by itself..." "i say it ´cause it´s here", other way i wouldnt say it.

Good luck. :)

From-Ashes

Like others said, there will always be doubt. The thing I try to keep in mind is this: The future is a complex thing, and every choice we make has an effect. I feel like the cards point us to possibilities, but our choices mean so very much that it's almost impossible to be certain.

I do find that journaling helps me improve and understand things better, though. I try to revisit the entries every so often, to see if perhaps there was something that I missed or misunderstood.

gregory

You picked the card - that is the one you were meant to pick.

End of. :)

GotH

I agree with gregory on this one so shuffling and cutting and picking cards from a fan or from the top doesn't really matter at all. The magic of tarot is, no matter which cards you pick, they are going to be the right ones. You can trust in that. :)