Was this famous Tarot reader right or wrong?

Ruby Jewel

Well, I feel that I am into court and that I will need my lawyer soon Ruby...

I went back to the original reading (I received her response via email)

After describing my background bla bla, I asked ''Am I on the right path by leaving my previous background behind me to look for jobs in this new field? (In other words, do I have a chance to get a job in the field of X and feel quite happy with this new choice?)

Her reply was yes. That I should keep applying and that something would come soon. I did applied a lot and still today, no answers. She KNEW that I did not have the required background for this new field.

Again, I would not have been happy with this new field.

Since you have cast this in terms of a trial, I will play along.

The Defendants in this court are the tarot card reader, and also the tarot cards. You, Tarot Quest are the Plaintiff.....and yes, we are in court. I mean, why not? Here we are a bunch of tarot readers who believe in the authenticity of the tarot and you have cast doubt on the whole tamale. Just look at all the responses you are getting here. We are all very concerned to put this entire issue to rest with a proper verdict. (laugh).

So, NOW...that you have changed your question to a "yes or no" question, let us take an altogether new look at this situation. The question is now, "Am I on the right path?" And you say the tarot reader knew your history, implying she should have used her personal knowledge in her answer to you. Now, my dear TQ, there's the rub. Her personal opinion is not allowed here...so she cannot be found guilty on the assumption she should have imposed her personal opinion in order to guide you in the proper direction. And, also, the legitimacy of "Yes or No" questions are a matter of much debate. So, in light of this, let me ask, what if she had said 'no' to your question? How would that have affected you? Stopped you dead in your tracks, no doubt. Would you have felt better about the issue then? ..

My concern is that you wanted a "black and white" answer to a question about your future.....and in my own experience, the tarot responds best if you allow it to reveal the energies around you. IMO, that is all it does. I think the fault is in the question as well as the expectations involved. When you ask for help from the spiritual world, you might consider approaching them with a sense of humility and let go of all expectations. If they deem you worthy, they will simply use the tarot reader to send a message to you.....it is pointless to shoot the piano player just because you don't like the song.

Nor am I able to see the relevance as to whether you would have been happy in the new position or not. That is a decision you make. The tarot does not make decisions for you, which is why I do not accept "yes or no" questions. IMO, you do not have a case here...lo siento TQ.

tarot_quest

Since you have cast this in terms of a trial, I will play along.

The Defendants in this court are the tarot card reader, and also the tarot cards. You, Tarot Quest are the Plaintiff.....and yes, we are in court. I mean, why not? Here we are a bunch of tarot readers who believe in the authenticity of the tarot and you have cast doubt on the whole tamale. Just look at all the responses you are getting here. We are all very concerned to put this entire issue to rest with a proper verdict. (laugh).

So, NOW...that you have changed your question to a "yes or no" question, let us take an altogether new look at this situation. The question is now, "Am I on the right path?" And you say the tarot reader knew your history, implying she should have used her personal knowledge in her answer to you. Now, my dear TQ, there's the rub. Her personal opinion is not allowed here...so she cannot be found guilty on the assumption she should have imposed her personal opinion in order to guide you in the proper direction. I do not accept questions from my clients for that reason....to keep my assumptions from interfering in the reading. The legitimacy of "Yes or No" questions are a matter of much debate. So, in light of this, let me ask, what if she had said 'no' to your question? How would that have affected you? Stopped you dead in your tracks, no doubt. Would you have felt better about the issue then? ..

My concern is that you wanted a "black and white" answer to a question about your future.....and in my own experience, the tarot responds best if you allow it to reveal the energies around you. I think the fault is in the question as well as the expectations involved. When you ask for help from the spiritual world, you might consider approaching them with a sense of humility and let go of all expectations. If they deem you worthy, they will simply use the tarot reader to send a message to you.....it is pointless to shoot the piano player just because you don't like the song.

Nor am I able to see the relevance as to whether you would have been happy in the new position or not. That is a decision you make. The tarot does not make decisions for you. IMO, you do not have a case here...lo siento TQ.

I honestly think that if there was a problem with my question, the reader would have let me know. She has been a tarot reader for a very long time, so she has her own personal set of rules and we should respect that. Thanks for your input :)

Ruby Jewel

I honestly think that if there was a problem with my question, the reader would have let me know. She has been a tarot reader for a very long time, so she has her own personal set of rules and we should respect that. Thanks for your input :)

I'm glad to see that you have more faith in her now. Hopefully, that translates into your respecting her understanding of the cards. I realize you may not like my answer, but I honestly feel that in the long run, you will come to understand what I'm saying.

Anyway, TQ, when I consider all the facts of the situation, and without seeing the whole reading I feel it is unfair to judge her negatively, I can find no fault in the tarot reader, and that is my vote to your original post: "Was this famous Tarot reader right or wrong?" Take care.

Debra

Yes. The reading was wrong. It gave poor advice and did not come true -- it did not predict the outcome. The precise way of asking the question is not the problem. That's a poor excuse to justify a poor reading. You had a good feeling about the reading, so maybe you got your money's worth, but the advice she offered was not sound.

JylliM

Yes. The reading was wrong. It gave poor advice and did not come true -- it did not predict the outcome. The precise way of asking the question is not the problem. That's a poor excuse to justify a poor reading. You had a good feeling about the reading, so maybe you got your money's worth, but the advice she offered was not sound.

Hand up in defense! I was absolutely not trying to justify a poor reading. I was actually being critical of the way the reading was conducted. A good reader should make sure the question is framed properly, so that the cards can then give a clear answer to a clear question, and furthermore a question that is actually the one the sitter wants to ask.

I agree. It was a poor reading.

Debra

Ah Jylli, sorry--I didn't intend to point my finger quite so pointedly, should be more diplomatic. I have had my problems with unclear questions, so that's definitely a concern. In this case, though, it seems the whole point of the reading was career advice and what tarot_quest received wasn't on target. It's great that tarot_quest learned something from the experience anyway.

JylliM

Ah Jylli, sorry--I didn't intend to point my finger quite so pointedly, should be more diplomatic. I have had my problems with unclear questions, so that's definitely a concern. In this case, though, it seems the whole point of the reading was career advice and what tarot_quest received wasn't on target. It's great that tarot_quest learned something from the experience anyway.

I agree with you.

And I don't think there's any point pussyfooting around - a reading can be wrong! The best readers can get it wrong, but I'd also like to stick my neck out and say that there are plenty of people with big internet reputations who I wouldn't dream of spending my money with.

tarot_quest

I'm glad to see that you have more faith in her now. Hopefully, that translates into your respecting her understanding of the cards. I realize you may not like my answer, but I honestly feel that in the long run, you will come to understand what I'm saying.

Anyway, TQ, when I consider all the facts of the situation, and without seeing the whole reading I feel it is unfair to judge her negatively, I can find no fault in the tarot reader, and that is my vote to your original post: "Was this famous Tarot reader right or wrong?" Take care.

Again, I am NOT judging her negatively. Perhaps my title was a bit controversial, but I mentioned several times that she is a lovely reader. Why are you saying that I should respect her understanding of the cards? I already do. Based on what you say, only because she is a famous tarot reader, I should follow her advice blind fully. I don't agree with this advice at all. Just my opinion here.

Hi Debra, I mostly agree with what you said. I think that she picked up my need to do not stick with academia (the research/academic aspect). I told her this when explaining my background, but yep, I don,t feel that the path for which I asked the question was the ''good'' thing for me.

Wow! I like this idea very much! :) Yes, it is so true that I learned something valuable from this experience, hence this thread :love:

I agree with you.

And I don't think there's any point pussyfooting around - a reading can be wrong! The best readers can get it wrong, but I'd also like to stick my neck out and say that there are plenty of people with big internet reputations who I wouldn't dream of spending my money with.

I thought that asking a famous reader would maximize my chance of getting an accurate answer. Honestly, her reading style (writing) is so fluid and compassionate, I enjoyed this aspect very much. But the advice was not on target!

Ruby Jewel

(QUOTE Again, I am NOT judging her negatively. Perhaps my title was a bit controversial, but I mentioned several times that she is a lovely reader. Why are you saying that I should respect her understanding of the cards? I already do. Based on what you say, only because she is a famous tarot reader, I should follow her advice blind fully. I don't agree with this advice at all. Just my opinion here.QUOTE)

I do not say to follow her advice blindly. In fact, as you have already agreed 100%, I am saying your life is in your own hands. I do not give advice regarding the cards. I simply read the energy and you are responsible for choosing your own path. I am just responding to your request regarding what I think of the reader, and my reply is that I see no reason to fault her based on the facts you have given here.

csmith0406

Hi TQ, Interesting thread - so my thoughts, yes you can get a bad reading, a wrong reading, not enough support from the reader, etc. And that could very well be the case here, and I think you are best placed to judge that.

But, from what you have described about where you where emotionally and mentally at the time, and that you began the question with “am I on the right path”, it might be that she wasn’t as far off as you think.

It doesn’t sound as if you were ready to consider a job that you have now at the time, and what you needed most, the best path, was to look at new and different possibilities until you were able to see clearly. And you maybe needed a break, even though you didn’t think you could afford it.

Maybe she should have been able to say that to you, but a blunt real-talk reading like that would have been isn’t what you would expect to get from a gentle and compassionate reader.

So maybe she saw you were on the best path you could be at the time, that would lead to work just not what you expected, and that was the answer you needed at the time.

Of course that might be complete BS and we are trying to rationalize it after the fact, that is up to you to decide.

Thanks for posting a thought provoking subject!