Warning: EBAY SCAM

G6

Nothing about my email looked off. They didn't ask me for account information etc., The email wasn't clearly written by someone with non-native English language skills and this was the sender email address: ebay@ebay.com. The email even had pictures of other auctions from eBay, logos, the whole nine. Looked totally legit and just had a link to click to repurchase, which went through Paypal.

gregory

Well to be fair, most websites are subject to phishing and scamming. I had a BEAUT claiming to be from amazon last week (which I forwarded to them - I always do that), and in my time I've had loads from ebay, paypal, play.com (who have sadly shut down and been taken over by the evil rakuten !) And I can't count the number of times my bank accounts with Barclays, Lloyds and HSBC have been hacked. I am never sure how that's supposed to happen, given that I have never had accounts with any of them....

We should simply all be aware that there are scammers out there, and take sensible precautions. I think it's rather unfair to pick on ebay as a prime sinner. They do warn everyone to be careful - but so few people bother to READ security pages. The bad guys are the scammers.

gregory

Nothing about my email looked off. They didn't ask me for account information etc., The email wasn't clearly written by someone with non-native English language skills and this was the sender email address: ebay@ebay.com. The email even had pictures of other auctions from eBay, logos, the whole nine. Looked totally legit and just had a link to click to repurchase, which went through Paypal.
I don't know how to do this on the email webpage, but in MS Office's Outlook, if you open the message and go for "options" you will usually see it didn't come from that address at all. It usually shows that's not actually where it was sent from, and more to the point, not where any answer will go.

Have you never received spam supposed to have been sent by you to you ? which "clearly" came from your address ? Try it on that and you'll find an Outer Mongolia address or something.

G6

I don't know how to do this on the email webpage, but in MS Office's Outlook, if you open the message and go for "options" you will usually see it didn't come from that address at all. It usually shows that's not actually where it was sent from, and more to the point, not where any answer will go.

Have you never received spam supposed to have been sent by you to you ? which "clearly" came from your address ? Try it on that and you'll find an Outer Mongolia address or something.

Nope, I don't think I've received an email from me to me. They used ebays outbound email addy. Gmail says hackers can fake the sent from email address, so they have the power to use ebays outgoing email address with no problem even though the message was not sent from ebay. Not sure how to lookup where the email originally came from on Safari.

gregory

Nope, I don't think I've received an email from me to me. They used ebays outbound email addy. Gmail says hackers can fake the sent from email address, so they have the power to use ebays outgoing email address with no problem even though the message was not sent from ebay. Not sure how to lookup where the email originally came from on Safari.
Exactly. And I have had several from me to me, during the Yahoo hack attack :) I was giving that as an example of how people can - as you say - fake things to make even the address look genuine.

I've no idea how to do it on any website; one reason I like Office Outlook is that I CAN look at that stuff. (Also I like to hold my OWN emails where I can get at them, rather than trusting the ether !)

G6

This is what Google offered to look up an email header:

https://support.google.com/mail/answer/29436?hl=en

This didn't help with my bogus email from what I could tell. Don't know if anyone knows what to look for in the coded print out of the email data to identify sender.

G6

We should simply all be aware that there are scammers out there, and take sensible precautions. I think it's rather unfair to pick on ebay as a prime sinner. They do warn everyone to be careful - but so few people bother to READ security pages. The bad guys are the scammers.

Yes, this game is played with PayPal, Amazon, etc., but I brought it up in the context of my recent experience with eBay.

What I know now is to never click through emails from any of these places. I have also been contemplating switching email to ProtonMail over Gmail, which I will likely do sooner rather than later.

DownUnderNZer

A few months back I filled out this survey sent by a place I shop at frequently - not uncommon to get one from them either. Fortunately, I did not fill out my full name and a few other details ONLY as it crossed my mind: "They have those details already! And...why would they want my birth date?".

To be on the safe side though I contacted my bank, insurance, phone company, and a few other places like credit agencies in case any criminal activity etc.

I do not usually fill out anything, so from now on will continue that trend.

With Ebay I am sure they send out ALERTS and within EBAY itself as well. I would never respond to an Ebay message via email nor my bank etc. Either it is direct with them on phone (bank) or Ebay itself.

Scammers will try almost anything and phishers etc etc etc.

DND :)

Yes, this game is played with PayPal, Amazon, etc., but I brought it up in the context of my recent experience with eBay.

What I know now is to never click through emails from any of these places. I have also been contemplating switching email to ProtonMail over Gmail, which I will likely do sooner rather than later.