rules and regulations

Richard

Moderation is getting better. A few years ago I was improperly modded several times, and on one occasion I may have contributed to the removal of the offending moderators. However, things have improved a lot. No complaints.

LadyMedusa

I don't see any problem with the Mods enforcing the feedback concept in Readings or UTC posts about interpretation. Those areas are for exchanging ideas and learning from others, activities that require both parties to participate.

People put time and energy into the responses they give. What's stifling about asking for someone to follow the posted rules and/or expecting someone to reciprocate in a discussion they start?

Thoughtful

l have no complaints about the rules etc. it makes for a safer place to explore and give one's opinions. The mods do a good job in keeping order especially when weeding out the trolls and mischief makers, and those who selfishly gain readings without leaving feedback.

earthair

In the past I have suggested that we compromise by having a special readings section where 'the brave' and 'people who don't need to have point by point analysis' can post readings for general chat and no-one is under obligation to give feedback or bite their tongue when someone asks a badly worded, or let's face it, ridiculous question.
I would call it 'The Deep End' for competent swimmers only :joke: A place where anything goes except abuse and 4 letter words. A place where by posting your reading or cards, you agree that the conversation can go off in any tangent, as conversation naturally goes. Maybe a subscribers only forum section? So it would pay for itself and newbees wouldn't get to post and run?

Alta

earthair, we have discussed this with you via PM and you are well aware of our position. This is meant to be a learning forum, there are 'free reading' sites on the internet elsewhere. If the person posting has no obligation to contribute other than throwing down some cards, that is a 'free reading' and we are not about that.

About conversations in reading threads being allowed to go anywhere. In my lengthy experience (I have co-moderated in Your Readings since 2001) where they 'go' is straight into comments and judgemental assessments of the situation described and the people involved without actually knowing much about it. Pain follows. The rules of Your Readings did not magically appear they developed with experience.

That said, we have changed the rules over the years, the latest being that members can ask for reading threads to be closed when they have had all the answers they want and responding is becoming a chore.

This discussion thread is okay, in fact previous such discussions have triggered changes in moderating policy. For example publishing the Banned Members list started because of members asking for more transparency in what was happening. I just wanted to address that one point.

Alta

headincloud

This is not a personal attack at the mods, they are just given the rules and they follow, neither am I trying to say we don't need mods, neither is there a specific rule or rules I'm not happy with, neither have they offended me in any way, I feel the rules are confusing but that's probably personal because of Aspergers but more so I find myself wanting to chime in but not allowed to comment for one of the rules will block me.

Even trying to stay within the the rules it's 'please don't speak of this card or that card', 'please edit you post as you mentioned a card she didn't, don't pull another card, don't do follow on readings, don't discuss professional readings don't don't don't.....bother to chime in is the feeling I'm left with. As quickly as I can learn the rules more are added and they seem to be getting pettier and pettier, from my perspective that is, I think it used to be bang on but as alter said the more time goes on the more rules will be added with experience and obviously rules are a fundamental part of the forum but at what point does too much organisation turn to chaos because of confusion from the sheer amount of rules.

earthair

earthair, we have discussed this with you via PM and you are well aware of our position. This is meant to be a learning forum, there are 'free reading' sites on the internet elsewhere. If the person posting has no obligation to contribute other than throwing down some cards, that is a 'free reading' and we are not about that.

Alta
I'm afraid your position is based on you misinterpreting what I said, and thinking I want a free reading thread.
But....
I never said that! I do not want a free reading thread, I said I want an area where people can just talk about readings and cards freely. This would especially suit experienced readers who just want to chat, not necessarily to analyse readings!

earthair

This is how the conversation might go....

Poster 1.

Wow I asked what sort of day I'm gonna have and I got the Tower for the 3rd day running.

Poster 2.

Oh dear, so what's happening in your life?

Poster 1.

Bit of a disaster really- my car keeps breaking down and I've lost my job...

Poster 3

I don't agree the tower is such a bad card for you, try asking when things will pick up?

Poster 2
Try using a different deck lol?

Poster 1

haha just tried that and drew Tower again!!!! help!

Poster 5

My car broke down yesterday too- I drew prince of pents- turned out the mechanic looks just like him

etc.

See? It's not a reading thread, it's a conversation!

Grizabella

This is how the conversation might go....

Poster 1.

Wow I asked what sort of day I'm gonna have and I got the Tower for the 3rd day running.

Poster 2.

Oh dear, so what's happening in your life?

Poster 1.

Bit of a disaster really- my car keeps breaking down and I've lost my job...

Poster 3

I don't agree the tower is such a bad card for you, try asking when things will pick up?

Poster 2
Try using a different deck lol?

Poster 1

haha just tried that and drew Tower again!!!! help!

Poster 5

My car broke down yesterday too- I drew prince of pents- turned out the mechanic looks just like him

etc.

See? It's not a reading thread, it's a conversation!

We have Chat and Talking Tarot for that purpose, though. Also, the Competition and "last person to post" are for such things, too, where you can just post whatever you want to. Those last two are for subscribers, I think.

Beancrew49

I've had a recent experience that really made me question the rules here. I performed a lengthy reading in the Exchanges forum and at the end provided a link to my Youtube channel so they could see more readings done by me.

I was moderated, my post was edited to remove my link, and I was threatened with being banned if I did it again. I could not believe it. I was told that there is no, "Self Promotion".

The only reason I felt like I could post a link to my channel (one intended to help readers grow as readers) was because on almost a daily basis I see threads on this forum created by deck creators advertising and SELF PROMOTING their decks. I see them link to their websites where people can purchase their decks. I see links to kickstarters, people asking for money. These are perfectly legal links on this site, yet I can't put a link to a channel that enriches this community rather than asks for money.

Apparently, if I want to sell something here for personal financial gain, that is okay. If I want to share Tarot knowledge in video form, that is grounds for banishment. It's so hypocritical. I questioned this moderation and there has been no response. I getting a bit angry at the moment so I'll stop typing. Hypocrisy is one of my triggers. I'm not sure how much longer I'll be on this site.