Ludy Lescot -The Chariot VII

Hemera

So..maybe she was disappointed in the Lovers and her feelings have been hurt. I see the rose petals as drops of blood and she is still symbolically bleeding as the petals are dropping on the road. It looks like they are dropping from what was a bridal bouquet and she is wearing a white dress and white satin shoes. If we are thinking there is a story hidden in these cards then I would guess that the Charioteer could be the White Knight who came to her rescue in the Lovers card. His white horse is now pulling the chariot together with the black one.
To me this card is about uniting opposite forces and understanding that life and love is not all about the white and romantic. One also has to include the darker shades to form a whole picture...

Attachments

• Chariot.jpg
    Chariot.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 876

Quester

Finally got my deck!!! She seems very sad, but resigned to going away. Could she be dropping the roses like bread crumbs so that the white knight will be able find her??

Elendil

... If we are thinking there is a story hidden in these cards then I would guess that the Charioteer could be the White Knight who came to her rescue in the Lovers card. His white horse is now pulling the chariot together with the black one.

And if he is the 'monochrome saviour' from the previous card taking his rescued bride (his female counterpart) to his ordered world where darkness and light are equally balanced and controlled in black and white (like his horses)that may explain why it is only when the roses fall from the 'chariot' that they regain their blood red colouring...

Once passion is restrained and mastered, is there not a lingering regret for the creativity and exhiliration that comes with those wild and tempestuous outbursts that seem to lack any control?

...this card is about ... understanding that life and love is not all about the white and romantic. One also has to include the darker shades ...for a whole picture...

Aerin

My first thought was that she is leaving life and passion behind (the red roses) and going towards death. Like becoming the High Priestess.

RunningWild

And if he is the 'monochrome saviour' from the previous card taking his rescued bride (his female counterpart) to his ordered world where darkness and light are equally balanced and controlled in black and white (like his horses)that may explain why it is only when the roses fall from the 'chariot' that they regain their blood red colouring...

Excellent observation! I hadn't noticed the roses going from monochrome to red before.

This is another one of those cards that bothered me and I couldn't quite put my finger on the reason until now.

Why is the focus on the girl? It's The Chariot, the charioteer, and the horses that are the normal things we observe. The will or will power of the individual is often indicated. Here we see the result of someone else's will over another being! The charioteer has taken a captive! She may not be tied up, but clearly she isn't happy about the situation.

What other people want often influences us, and yes, sometimes it feels as if our own personal power has been stolen by them. Our dreams blown away because another person's personality is stronger than our own.

And don't most people retain a sense of their own dreams that they tuck away, out of sight, where they will be safe until an opportunity presents itself to be realized?

What happens when a person puts his or her dreams on the back burner indefinitely? A sense of failure, a sense of defeat, frustration, depression, melancholy.

RunningWild

Something about my last post seemed incomplete and I think I've figured it out.

The girl in the back of the "chariot" is collateral damage from the will of the charioteer. I wonder if, in this card, we're being asked to consider how our will affects others. It could be for the good, or the bad. We're seeing the consequences and being asked to examine them closely.

Hemera

The girl in the back of the "chariot" is collateral damage from the will of the charioteer. I wonder if, in this card, we're being asked to consider how our will affects others. It could be for the good, or the bad. We're seeing the consequences and being asked to examine them closely.
I still see this as the Charioteer doing what the girl wants. She wants to leave the castle/wedding/whatever and the Charioteer is there for her. But which ever way we are looking at this, it´s still someone´s will having an effect on another person. Good point that, RunningWild. I love your insights, keep them coming. I´ll be here with my pen and notebook :)

kaushalyaandfrank

As per the LWB, the meaning may be similar to the Deviant Moon deck (from its own LWB) -

The charioteer prepares to venture out of the city. Overcoming past adversities has made him strong; now he takes his experience to new lands.

Upright meanings: A journey to new places. Boldly venturing into the unknown.

The LL take on this is that wherever you go, you leave behind a trail of impressions and memories, it is not so that leaving a place means you may as well never have been there. In this sense, it may be time to move on now, recognizing the lasting impact you have already had here.

Pam O

I still see this as the Charioteer doing what the girl wants. She wants to leave the castle/wedding/whatever and the Charioteer is there for her. But which ever way we are looking at this, it´s still someone´s will having an effect on another person. Good point that, RunningWild. I love your insights, keep them coming. I´ll be here with my pen and notebook :)

NICE angles!!!

I do notice that a red rose is under the Chariot, so the Charioteer might be following a path of roses!?

Excellent observation! I hadn't noticed the roses going from monochrome to red before.

This is another one of those cards that bothered me and I couldn't quite put my finger on the reason until now.

Why is the focus on the girl? It's The Chariot, the charioteer, and the horses that are the normal things we observe. The will or will power of the individual is often indicated. Here we see the result of someone else's will over another being! The charioteer has taken a captive! She may not be tied up, but clearly she isn't happy about the situation.

What other people want often influences us, and yes, sometimes it feels as if our own personal power has been stolen by them.

I too was caught up in focusing on the girl, not the Charioteer in this "Chariot" card. I am so glad you posted this! Thank you for expanding the focus to include both angles of this incredibly unique and fascinating card!

So, the Charioteer could be following his will:
- to help a damsel in distress
- to exercise his control over his passenger

OR
Could the Charioteer be under control of his passenger?

Pam O

I just noticed this is one of the only Chariot cards where both horses are looking one way, instead of the typical image where the different colored horses look in 2 opposite directions.

Maybe the horses want to go the same direction and desire the same result? However, it does seem that the Charioteer is looking a different direction than the horses. He looks ahead while the horses look left.

There is still the passenger, though she does not look physically restrained, maybe she is restrained in a more subtle way? Maybe that monochrome is the visible effects of her restraint?