The Faeries' Oracle (Froud) - Least Favorite Card

floracove

Jewel said:
he is a very gentle soul, and a very good friend.
He is the embodiment of the saying "never judge a book by its cover."
Exactly.
I think that's what I sense in him.
He's just sad right now...

cSpaceDiva

The Soul Shrinker 55

1. Emotional Atmosphere: Sad, hurt, defensive

2. Physical Manifestation: Disease, rotting teeth, blindness, injury. He looks like he's been beat up.

3. Mental Characteristics: Reactionary, simple, sensitive.

4. Spiritual Characteristics: Undeveloped

5. Uncomfortable/Unappealing: The name "Soul Shrinker" scares me as much as the way he looks. His eyes, his teeth. I also find the lack of detail a little disturbing. It's almost as if it is too horrible to depict.

6. Appealing: It took me a long time to find something, but I finally decided I like the purple color in the corner of his eye, and the light in his eye. It's not empty in there.

7. Impressions: At first I thought he was scary, but now I think he is scared. Also, it's kind of weird that as I study this card and journal, I keep getting ink spots everywhere. That didn't happen with the other.

FaeryGodmother

The Soul Shrinker

So least favourite.

1. Grey. Gloomy. Nasty. Can almost hear the sound of those teeth grinding.

2. Fears. Focusing on nastiness and negativity and bringing into your life.

3. Negativity. Always seeing/ believing the worst.

4. Spiritually I thought the Soul Shrinker represented the dark side. Like how there can be no light without shadow, I saw the Soul Shrinker as one of those shadows that tries to swallow the light.

5. That eye is the most uncomfortable thing! Its like he's seeing every nasty thought I ever had and turning them over like jewels. (I don't even want to admit I have nasty thoughts let alone have this being enjoy them!)

6. Sorry, nope.

7. The only other impression I had was that I bet his breath stank.

Of course after reading the book and learning about who the Soul Shrinker really is I hung my head in prejudiced shame. I think I felt put in my place because gossip and bitchiness has always been an issue in my life. I have of course been on both ends of it.
FGM

tzuki

Well, hear I am just butting in with no formal introduction!

My least favorite is the Green Woman, & I was sorry for that when I read the remarks about her in the book.

I've had the Faerie Oracle for a couple of years now, & never used it! It was just sitting in my bookcase...but I thought it would be nice to look at over the Christmas holidays, so, I began the introductory exercises, & chose the Green Woman.
Actually it seemed like an easy choice! She seemed so unpleasant, so rude. she reminded me of people I do not care for, & her mask (or is it her pet?) reminded me of a Muppet!
I knew she & I would not share the same sense of humour, & as I was writing all this down, I realised what a dreadful snob I was!!!

The twist in the tale is this....showing my partner the cards ( he bought them for me two Christmases ago ) he said she was me!! I was mortified! Yet at the same time, saw the magic working.
& reading about her later, in the book, I thought that she would have been who I'd have liked to be....a valuable lesson here about appearances (but I still like this card least!)

Chubby Mummy

The Soul Shrinker...

Oh wow Ive just noticed this cards "popularity"
The first impression I got from this card that this person was..

1. Evil
2. Got what he wanted without pity or consideration of others
3. Critical
4. Angry

Well, I never thought I embodied any of the above traits, but when I read in the book that this person was a person who hurt others by words, especially gossip and sarcasm, well, I was shocked as it has always been my downfall. Im very small built, so Ive never been one to be able to lash out physically when I was younger, so I hurt people with my words, and as I got older, I got better and better at it, and now people tell me that my worst trait is sarcasm, and well when I gossip, its normally done intentionally to hurt someone...and it works very well. This is not good though, and I need to get this out my system...surprisingly the "reconciling" card I got was the faery who was kissed by pixies (i think thats it!) That means to open up my heart to love...which of course I find very hard to do.

One day with my Faeries Oracle and Im smitten

Anyone else get so quickly obsessed with this???

xx
cm

mnemosyne7

I love them all!

I hunted for a least favorite card months ago ... and decided that I loved them all. In continuing to work with the deck, I still don't see a single card that makes me uncomfortable. (I certainly have "uncomfortable" cards in some of my Tarot decks.) I see how popular the Soul Shrinker and the Dark Lady are as least favorite cards on this list, but even they have a place that is so necessary. Without them, we'd never recognize the differences between light and dark, pain and release. Having been through some tiny discomforts in my life, I recognize my capacity to be my own Soul Shrinker, my own Dark Lady, intent on self-destruction. They are part of me, and I can't dislike them ... though I can put them in a much better mood by feeding them chocolate and brandy (just a little brandy)!

Mnemosyne

lusso

today i did my least favourite and i got pook as he remined me of i woman i once know the card feels evil that it was doing it round of hateful gossips deception and i lot of mistrust

beithe

HI again everyone...

As to the card I am least fond of...that would be Soul Shrinker. This probably because that no matter how you cut it we all have a bit of him/her inside of us. Another great, in this case huge, root system. Responsible for all the negativity in the world. Something we all have to keep working against and striving to weed out of our karmic existences. I think that the picture makes me feel tired, spiritually. There are too many soul shrinkers in this world and I don't think that I really like having an actual picture of one.

The sad thing about this faery is that is looks the way it does because of OUR nastiness toward each other and ourselves. It makes me think of the Picture of Dorian Grey. There doesn't seem to be much hope of this faery looking any different. So mentally it is a little depressing I have found. Luckily I haven't had it show up often and when he/she does I always quietly flog myself for whatever thing I think is connected with the appearance of the poor sad thing.

It is a pale card, the faery is sickly looking, diseased somehow. Well I suppose that is the issue isn't it?

At any rate...I love Froud's artwork and I really enjoy my deck. I will have to pick it up again as I haven't for awhile. I have noticed that it has been on my mind lately and I seem to have a question for it...

beithe (who is now going to talk to the faeries... but not this one )

Sophie

Indi

No it's not because he's not cute (he is). It is probably because he is so endearing that he gets up my nose. The eternal wishy-washy sweetheart. Again, the choice was dictated by my present life situation, when I am having to decide something quite crucial, and it's agony. So looking at that little greeny thing makes me feel like I'm looking at a mirror - at least, emotionally!!!

- emotional atmosphere - oh, I don't know, maybe this, maybe that, I can't decide, what if, and so on and so forth. And let's squash someone's else's head, while we're trying to make up our minds, shall we?

- physical manisfestation: shall I take the carrot my employers have offered me, or shall I strike out on my own and follow my dreams? (and still have to take a part-time job, which might not be as good as this one, but then, this one is driving me nuts and I'm not giving it my best, on the other hand it's intellectually challenging, but also some of the subject-matter I have to deal with has started to bore me, blah blah blah). He slinks about my head that one...

- mental characteristics: indecision. This eventually leads to taking a decision by default, rather than thinking things through and being FOCUSSED.

- spirital characteristics: timorousness. He is there, however, to remind me to make up my mind and be done with it. To dare go after what I truly love. He's also there to make me realise I need balance and sufficient income to cover my basic needs.

- what makes me uncomfortable: what I see of myself in him - this to-ing and froing and not being brave.

- anything appealing or attractive? yes, his big sad eyes. He knows it is difficutl to remian in this no-man's land, he yearns to be bolder...

Any other ideas? I'd like to visualise him juggling those two balls, see where tht leads us.

Ailes Noires

Well, it's been a while since the last post (as usual), but my least favorite was Gloominous Doom. I'm surprised no one else picked it. However, it's not so much Gloominous Doom as the weird figures in the lower right corner. Those things bother me, but he looks so droopy, sad, and it's rather depressing. Still, the other creatures in the card bug me more.

However, he is kind of cute (round eyes, comical frown), and I sort of like the colors. I don't know, it just stood out in a rather negative way to me, and I didn't understand why (because logically I knew that some of the others looked a bit more disturbing). But, in retrospect, it's rather accurate.