My Major Arcana

le.jour.obscurcit

Wow!

Those are beautiful. :)
Were they done on like a sewing machine, like patchworks (if that's what its called lol)?

Well done, you've done a really great job. They're so interesting to look at and to pick out the different bits and pieces. They would be very helpful to a beginner who's trying to learn the meanings of the tarot, in reagrds to the words and the symbols of the planets and zodiac signs, and the various pictures, such as the lady breat-feeding on the Empress.

Congratulations! They look awesome! :)

Hannafate

How cool! I would love to see a deck published of these. I don't think there is a quilt/embroidery/fabric art version out there!

Chronata

There IS already a quilted deck, Hannafate...called the Enchanted/Zerner Farber...

But these are much much better! :D

I love the style, and the colors...really beautifully done! And the tarot images are perfect.

I wonder... how big are your originals, Hetty?

Antoinette

Thank you all for your wonderful reactions!
The originals are A4, approx. like the US Letter size.
A lot of research went into them before I knew exactly how I wanted to interpret each card.
Working in fabric is very exciting now, because you can print from your jet printer on fabric and choose between: cotton, silk, organza and I think Satin, although I haven't tried the satin.
It wasn't quite like patchwork, where pieces fit together like a jigsaw puzzle, but there was a lot of applique, where pieces are stitched on top of a background.
There is also a lot of freemotion stitching, a technique where you use the needle like a stationary pencil and move the fabric as if it was the paper you are drawing on. It takes a fair bit of exprience to be able to do that well, but it is great fun when you can do it comforably.
I used beads, glitzy fabrics, ribbons, bit of jewellery, lots of printing on fabric and then stitching that. I stitched a lot by hand, using thicker threads and I also used fabric pens to add more colour here and there.
I also used some Dover designs: for example the lovers in The Lovers was a Dover design printed on organza, fused to the background and then stitched to define.
Re fusing: best thing since sliced bread for textile artists!
Fusible web comes on a roll, attached a backing paper. You can draw on the paper, cut it out roughly, fuse (glue) that to your fabric with an iron.
Next: cut out exactly, peel off the paper and you know have an iron-on patch you can fuse to your background.
You probably didn't want to know quite so much!

Re making a full set: I felt I got the Tarot out of my system when I completed the Major Arcana. But...never say never...I do have the Zerner/Farber deck. Textile Tarots have also been done as group projects, but I don't think they were published.
Hetty

Hannafate

So, just publish the majors. Maybe a picture book, or meditation cards.

gregory

I've PMd you about a publication possibility..... I have also made contact elsewhere....

Antoinette

I'm overwhelmed by the positive reactions and I think a picture book or meditation cards are something to think about. Before I had these pieces framed, I got high resolution scans done of each one. They looked great printed full size and I am sure they will look even better reduced to card size.
Of course, once I do, I then have to market them. I thought I was retired....<big smile>

You know I don't have a name for them, I thought about it a few times, but I didn't get anything I liked.
The first time I exhibited the full set I called the exhibition "The Fool's Journey". Then I sold some, so the time after, when I no longer had the full set, I called it "Tarot Interpretations".
Any suggestions?

gregory

Hetty's Tarot ? })

truelighth

Hannafate said:
How cool! I would love to see a deck published of these. I don't think there is a quilt/embroidery/fabric art version out there!

There is also the Embroidery Tarot, although that one is very hard to find.

But this deck IS gorgeous. Wonderful work. I would also like to see it in print! Very interesting take on some of the cards too.