The Monument Tarot

arcanum17

WOW - thank you everyone. I am most gratified. Most espcially to anyone who had to open more than one browser! I thought I'd tested it everywhere but AOL. sigh... One of these days I'm just going to give up on Flash....

I finished two more cards today - I was going to work on the cups, but it seemed more of a wands kinda day. Anyone else feel that way?

Stella, what you said means the world to me. I love graveyards. I live smack in the middle of the city. Where else can I go and be alone with hundreds of angels? Some may call it spooky - I call it sublime. :)

Strange2

These are wonderful cards, arcanum17! They truly radiate a sense of reverance, and the bitter/sweet dichotomy of mortality/immortality. I love your Hermit card (going through a Hermit year myself).

I'm a fellow Illinois resident (southwest suburbs of Chicago), so am glad to see the spirit of Tarot (and Illinois) inspiring your creative works. Looking forward to the completion of your deck, and hopefully being able to order this soon!

Shine On!

graylensman

Okay, I must admit to feeling a bit intimidated! :p I'm learning Flash, and am planning to create a site to show some of my work. Your site is just stunning. And the cards are excellent, too!

rota

I'll second that -- your site is a wonderful use of Flash. And as for the cards, I don't have the least doubt that they'll prove popular. I wish you very good luck with these!

ciliegia

I'm sorry,I didn't intend that your site had problems.
possibly,my server or computer might have any.so don't stop using flash for my words.
your site is beautiful.indeed.

I'm going to go to defrag;)

arcanum17

Laluce - don't feel bad! haha - Trust me, I've been doing Flash for a long time, since it was called FutureSplash or something like that. And the first thing you always hear is that somebody couldn't open it or get it to work. Sigh - I just had an interview with a place that does nothing but webpages, and they abandoned Flash about a year ago. It's too bad, really. But I always need to hear if someone has a problem. Graylensman - if you want any help, or tips, or anything, I'd be happy to help. I guess it's like anything, practice and organization. I have some great resources that I can send to you if you'd be interested.

And Strange2 - a south-sider! My best friend is from that neck of the woods. I'm a north-side girl myself - lovely Roscoe Village. It's like a little town set in the middle of the city, and I love it. I just read this really interesting book about how at the turn of the century, Chicago was considered at the fore-front of "pyschic phenomena" and was a center for mystics, seers and the like. It was really quite interesting. Don't you think we still have a bit of that old "power" or attraction, whatever it was/is? Did that make any sense? :) I think it's the cold - keeps us indoors and thinking a lot! Since I've been working on The Monument Tarot, I've been gifted with a bunch of books about Chicago history, and Chicago hauntings - Resurrection Mary anyone? :) I have to be honest, I never saw any such thing in any of my research. Well, OK, once. And it was with The Hermit card, Strange2! I'll tell the story later, if anyone is interested.

This brings me to a place I'd like some advice about ... that being that while I know the aesthetic of this deck is very dark (that's just were my art goes, I guess), and I haven't shied away from some of the, shall we say, more "negative" aspects of the tarot, I DO NOT want people to think that this deck is all about death, and ghosts and darkness. From your comments, I think you guys "get it" - life IS - or CAN be - a bittersweet experience, and I think that if I claim that the cards in the Tarot represent every aspect of the human experience, I can't shy away from those things. Just the way I am. I know a lot of modern Tarot decks kind of skip over, or soften, the more "negative" cards, the 10 of Swords being a great example. Several people (most unfamilar with the Tarot) have criticized my Tower card - I guess people just don't want to see an exploding Tower, and I can't really blame them.

I guess the point of this ramble is this question - is it too dark? Do you think that publishers - and the public - are looking for something a bit lighter?

Sorry about the length of this post - I'm just really happy to be here. Nice to chat with people that understand what I'm doing, and don't ask that dreaded question - why does the Angel in your first card have a Chihuahua with him? One girl (who may have been slightly tipsy at the time :)) asked me if I put the dog in there on purpose.

My answer - nope, he just showed up one day. :)

Milfoil

Hi Trish - sorry this reply took so long.

I certainly don't feel that the aesthetic is too dark, it is dark, yes but I think the images require it really. The Sun certainly isn't dark at all and the tower is (I have to say) exactly how I see the tower card to be representative.

I DO NOT want people to think that this deck is all about death, and ghosts and darkness. From your comments, I think you guys "get it" - life IS - or CAN be - a bittersweet experience, and I think that if I claim that the cards in the Tarot represent every aspect of the human experience, I can't shy away from those things. Just the way I am. I know a lot of modern Tarot decks kind of skip over, or soften, the more "negative" cards, the 10 of Swords being a great example.

I absolutely agree - life is, as you say, bitter sweet. The idea that a belief system or divination technique can legitimately pass over the uncomfortable aspects of life in favour of only the nice things seems very stilted to me - perhaps why I like this deck so much

I am seriously interested in this deck, I think its beauty and serene quality are wonderful.

Do you have any idea of a publishing date yet?

WolfyJames

A very lovely deck! I love cemeteries as well and the images are great. Keep up the good work! :)

SilverWing

I love your work!! I can't wait to get my own deck. Add me to the waiting list.

muteswan

I love the haunting quality of this deck. Even though it's photographic, it seems timeless.