Why bother to publish?

cirom

Ankou said:
OKy Doky...I'm curious why deck creators would want to publish, outside of the hope to make big bucks

I found this question to be very strange and thought provoking, as I can't personally imaging someone who has laboured at any creative endevor not wanting to have it published or presented in a public way, irrespective of the size of the bucks. Covering ones costs if any are involved is nice, making a profit is nicer, but thats after the fact.
Would a composer go about creating a piece of music with the intention of only ever playing the piece to himself. A playright only to act the scene alone with no audience. The painter only to hang his work in his own room, The writer only to read his own novel.....you get my drift.
Of course there's the personal pleasure and satisfaction derived from the actual production, and I guess thats often enough. I guess one could also argue that a tarot deck might not completely belong with the examples I used above, as the production could be simply with intention of creating a customized deck that meets ones personal criterea and use.

I'd be interested in hearing answers to the opposite question. Why after putting any significant effort into it (and a tarot deck requires significant effort) would'nt you want it published ?

MareSaturni

cirom said:
I'd be interested in hearing answers to the opposite question. Why after putting any significant effort into it (and a tarot deck requires significant effort) would'nt you want it published ?

Hum...because i'm very possessive towards my own creation and want it to be exclusive? It's a possibility...some people aren't interested in sharing, just showing off - and it's their right, since they created it. Also, a shame, but what can't be done?

If i made a Tarot Deck, i'd like publish it if i had the chance. I think good things should be shared...besides, you can always use an extra cash ;)

Love

Yuko

wizzle

Why not publish?

Heck, that's easy. You don't publish because you don't feel good enough. At least that's my problem.

I'm sure there are manuscripts, paintings, etc. languishing in private all over the place. When I look at the decks that have already been published and the ones in process, I feel stupid, dull, inadequate. And in my case, since I'm thinking about a fairly radical concept, I'm afraid it will be hated and panned.

That's why we keep our art to ourselves. It's a good thing our dogs and children think we're great. <<grin>> And.....we can get sympathy from our loved ones when we have these "creative blocks."

MareSaturni

wizzle said:
Heck, that's easy. You don't publish because you don't feel good enough. At least that's my problem.

I'm sure there are manuscripts, paintings, etc. languishing in private all over the place. When I look at the decks that have already been published and the ones in process, I feel stupid, dull, inadequate. And in my case, since I'm thinking about a fairly radical concept, I'm afraid it will be hated and panned.

That's why we keep our art to ourselves. It's a good thing our dogs and children think we're great. <<grin>> And.....we can get sympathy from our loved ones when we have these "creative blocks."

That too! Hadn't thought about that, but you are so right! It's hard to expose something personal (and that you consider your 'child') to the public opinion ;)

Love

Yuko

augursWell

I've not published a deck although I started the plans for one many moons ago. I think the question comes from the mindset of a working Artist who must decide amongst various projects as that is their livelihood? I think there is something more when it comes to Tarot.

For me it is part of the tradition of Tarot itself. In the process of designing a Tarot deck, either intellectually or artistically, one is also in the process of learning meanings, studying history, relating the work to life and the real world, and a host of other things. Yes, setting yourself the challenge of creating 78 distinct images is a great and difficult project for an Artist. But it is also your chance to make a new melody on the same theme, to look at something in a new light, one that is uniquely your own as an artist. In Rennaissance art Artists would reinterpret many classic scenes, how many "Madonna and Child" do we have?

As cirom says, once you have that done, why would you just put it on a shelf and forget about it? Either you find no worth in it or you just wish to keep it to yourself?

cirom

wizzle said:
."

Yep.... You're right....

As you suggested, just consider how many works of art never saw the light of day due to being percieved by their creators as inadequate, and ultimately how sad. Both for the artist and presumably the world, as surely in many cases the "inadequacy" was only in the eye of the creator.

I think you should cut yourself a break, and while as you suggest there may indeed be people who will hate and pan it (I can persoanlly testify to that), but the vast majority here on these forums will give you a warm reception if you were to share you images.

M-Press

Hm, interesting and thought provoking indeed...
I never considered NOT publishing. As Cirom pointed out, after you put all that work into a deck (it took me over 3 years), why keep it just to your self?
A piece of art, a product is not complete unless seen...Exposure is not just for fame... is for life...because the light, is what makes life-force happen...

Now, in what scale to publish, is another thing. Myself, for teh Sakki-Sakki Tarot I did a run of 3000. Now I know it's a LOT, but I also know that there will be many decks that will be bad, due to damaged cards and stuff like that (you loose/damage one card, you lost a whole deck). So, there won't be 3000 at the end, but there will still be a lot. If I was to decide how much to do today, I might have done 1000. But then again, I wouldn't have learned so much. Oh, boy! How much! So, it's like paying for business school, and you end up with the lesson and the experience.
Do I regret? NO. It has pushed me so much further. I can not imagine where I was a year ago and where I am now, as a person, professional and just someone who knows what's happening, and how things flow... A life changing experience... on all aspects of life, from decision making to finding storage, to learning what it means to have for sale only one product...

Now, if you feel you are not good enough, then that's another story... Then why finish the deck? Maybe do just majors? maybe collaborate with some one that can help you like your creations? Maybe take an art course and incorporate your work on the deck there?
There is a journey here...by all means, and no matter what your goal is or what your starting point is... And WE should know... We have heard of the Fool...

And as a last thought, or maybe advice: If you want to do deck and publish it, do it becasue you are driven towards taht. Not for the money, becasue there are definitely MUCH better ways to invest your money!!! (but then THAt doesn't give you what the creation of a tarot deck can... :)

Astra

Something that may be of help to those who've got completed works and are unhappy, or terrified, about publishing...

I went through something like this about a year into the work on the WorldTree deck - after all, who am I to say what other people would/should like? The answer I got, finally, was this. Even if I am a relatively unique person, say one in a thousand other people has the same tastes in art that I do, then I'm looking at a potential audience of 4 MILLION people, if I can reach them. And I have the internet, and probably a million of them are somehow connected. I don't have to push for people that won't like my work, I can put it out there, do some marketing (oops, haven't gotten that done yet), and let the people who like it, buy it.

Yes, there will be people who totally hate what I'm doing, and people who can't see why I bothered - so what? If I like what I did really well, then that one in a thousand like me will also probably like it. And maybe people who aren't like me will like it for other reasons. I'll never find out unless I put it out for people to look at.

I made that my mantra for the next two years, and by the time I was ready to put the deck up for people to look at, it was only a little scary.

shadowdancer

This is a good question. I have written 3 books and have not yet even got to the stage of approaching publishers. One is a novel the other is a lighthearted look through the eyes of a female on her world travels.

Maybe one day...

However, part of me wants to just keep them as a memory for when I am 30 years older.

The reason my tarot creation has stayed so personal until now, it is because of the hurdle of no artist. I have no where near the artistic talent myself to even begin to them a service.

I have had 3 people look at the scripts, and all were unable to take it forward for varying reasons. (Although I was grateful they had a look at it for me). The feedback had been positive, so I know deep down it is not because the cards themselves are lacking in any great way.

2 others came back and politely said they could not even think of taking on the project. Again, I respected this.

I have asked at College where I work, but alas non of the art students were able to take this on either. An advert in an art suppliers has produced no interest to date.

Part of me is wondering if the project should just remain with me, and never be shown or shared with the outside world. The other part is telling me that it is worthy of sharing, and that the delay is because I have not yet met the right person to create the images.

I am trying to think of other aspects of life I have been proud of, but 'protective' of at the same time. I think most of us have had something we are torn over, where we want to share but also want to covet at the same time. It is certainly a valid enough question to make me look at myself and whether I have perhaps acted with good intentions, or whether I have been a little selfish.

mmmmm......... a nice one to ponder for sure!

Davina

Ankou

Wow this thread has crept right along while I've been at work!

OK, I agree that art should be shared, I show the decks I'm making to anyone and everyone almost manicly...but I think I've had a light bulb,

I have a Fine Art background and am trained to the concept that you make a piece of art and it hangs in a gallery till someone buys it then you make more... (very simplified) I think I feel like making photo reproductions is cheating in a sense, I've never noticed that floating in the back of my head before.

With Corporate clients and architectural stlye specs it only makes sense to have multiple copies ready to go, but with something as personal as a tarot going to someone who is a real person with expectations of enlightenment, I feel they should be given first hand art. I've never really liked making more than one of something, even photos or prints, I feel guilty if I print more than one of as artistic photo...

I think thats the block that I'm trying to identify in my process.

I love the fact that so many here have such different ways of looking at the question,

Cirom, it was fliping the question upsidedown that really helped the most...
also your quote

"I found this question to be very strange and thought provoking, as I can't personally imaging someone who has laboured at any creative endevor not wanting to have it published or presented in a public way,"

It was the last few words that hit me, I do want to present them in a public way, but I've always thought of that in terms of a gallery or museum not in terms of publishing. Thanks so much for throwing me a perspective from the other side.

And everyone here, I am constantly amazed at the work produced by people who don't feel like they are artists or have artistic talent... Art is about putting your soul into something outside of yourself, there is no bad way to do that!!!!
(unless your a demented psyco maniac bent on... sorry...tangent)

Keep it to yourself if it is precious that way, but never be afraid to share with kindred souls, they will understand...

Anyway (blush) thanks to my new village...

Love and Light,

Ankou