The Ocean Oracle: Journey to the Shore and Beyond...

tmgrl2

Wonderful thread....and even more amazing the Ocean Oracle!!

I am ordering it!

Recently in a post, one of the cards I drew from the Angel Tarot, The Tower, reminded me of passages from the book Gift from the Sea, Anne Morrow Lindbergh's book of her stroll by the ocean where she picked up shells...and mused on how they applied to her life.

This book was given to me as a gift in 1965 by my mom for my birthday because of my love for the Ocean, water, shells....I still have that copy!!

I have always lived near water....even now we live two blocks from the Bay leading to Long Island Sound and the Ocean.....

The book was small, brief and wonderful and now.....

What an extensive resource to expand upon this love....

I'm anxious to receive the book and deck....

Thank you Shelley...and elf for this introduction....

terri

shell oracle

Lark, Yes, the new book is designed to coordinate with Ocean Oracle. Ocean Oracle covers 200 shells and due to this volume, I could only devote a paragraph to each shell. In Ocean Wisdom (the working title for the next book) I have the luxury to really dive into the layers of meanings for about two dozen shells. I cheated a little in these postings, because part of what I wrote in discussing the sand dollar and the nautilus I copied from the manuscript for Ocean Wisdom. Since I am still waiting to see if the publisher accepts this book, those of you in this forum are among the first to read this information.

When I read the posting from terri I had to smile. I actually wrote about Ann Morrow Lindbergh’s book in Ocean Wisdom. You may be surprised to learn that at one point in my life, I felt stalked by this book. Well meaning family and friends have lovingly placed this book in my hands never suspecting that to me it was a ticking bomb. For some reason, I was terrified to read it. If I may copy once again from the manuscript…

I understood their intention. Part of me delighted in knowing a book describing a woman’s relationship to seashells has endured the test of time remaining popular for decades. However, this innocent tome represented potential disaster to me…a wolf in sheep’s clothing. I was determined to avoid reading it at all costs. This was easy to do when I had received my first and second copies. When the tally reached three, I became very uncomfortable. Then, I was granted a reprieve. A visitor to my home happened to mention that she had never read Gift from The Sea. I gladly raced upstairs to retrieve a copy for her to take with her. With my library depleted to a mere two copies, I felt a physical burden lift. This state was only to last one day, for the next day in my mailbox, yet another friend had mailed me a copy after spotting the book in Cape Cod. I began to think that on some collective level this book was stalking me. After all these years of avoiding its pages while my home library copies multiplied from one copy, to two, to three, it was when I learned a fourth copy was imminent that I finally voiced my fear.

A very dear friend gleefully announced in a telephone conversation that she had found the perfect gift for me. Panic spread through my heart as she filled in the details…she was in a bookstore and bought me a special book about shells. Before she could bestow this fourth copy upon me, I confessed. And a wonderful thing happened. My friend’s compassion enabled me to explore the source of my fear. Early on, I was concerned that once I read Gift from The Sea, I would be influenced by Ann Lindbergh’s thoughts and would respond in one of two ways. I would either alter my interaction with shells to more closely align with hers, or even worse, discover her experiences were so different that I could only conclude my life's work was wrong. This was too awful to contemplate, so I simply never opened the cover. To this admission, my wise friend gently pointed out that for three years I had been writing a Seashell Divination column placing my thoughts on record. Moreover, with Ocean Oracle now on its way to the publisher, I could forget about my concern of being influenced by Ann Lindbergh’s words. Recognizing this truth, I realized that all that remained was to discover if our thoughts bore any similarities. It was finally time to confront my demons and read what she had to say.

As I read her book, my worst nightmare was fulfilled. We did not agree on the meanings associated with some shells. Not only did I have different meanings for the shells she discussed; I had entirely different shells that represented the meanings she wrote about. I did my best to remain calm. I have grown to believe in a loving and magical Universe, so I questioned why the Universe would persist in placing this book in my path. After a little reflection, I realized that Ann Lindbergh only had the shells at one beach to draw upon where I had shells from all over the world. And then it hit me. What mattered was the fact that she believed the shells were teachers and could lend guidance and healing in her life. Since she left her beach vacation with insights to apply to her life, clearly her partnership with the shells accomplished that beautifully.

The “gift” she offers is the idea that there are teachers on the planet to assist us in navigating through life as a human being. I thought the world would fall apart if we disagreed over what a specific shell said. Now, I see I missed the point. Whether we agree about a specific shell is not as important as the grander concept that the shell kingdom has wisdom to offer. Discovering the message from each shell may be a work in progress. Over the years, I have amended information on the Abalone, Moon Snail, and Razor Clam while writing my column. They say, “By their fruits you will know them.” Ann Lindbergh’s messages from the shells transformed her life for the better, and that is all that matters. My fear of her work turned to appreciation and gratitude. By courageously sharing her encounter with the shells, she paved the way to suggest that shells can offer gifts to us. Simply based upon their structure, she allowed the shells to “speak” to her. I began my divination column rooted in science, and have taken baby steps away from that firm foundation to allow the shells to simply speak to me. I finally understood that my work is just an extension of hers. Upon further inspection, I noticed that her book is organized in chapters focusing upon a particular shell and discussing its lesson for her. This is exactly the format I employed in my Seashell Divination column. I never realized it, but my column has been my Gift from the Sea. Those articles serve as the foundation for Ocean Wisdom.

I had feared Ann Morrow Lindbergh’s book, actually accused it of haunting me, when all along it was simply offering me support to continue this work. In the same way, I want to leave you with the freedom to use my work as a stepping stone and allow the shells to speak to you individually. In fact, whether it be shells, or trees, or crystals, or flowers, or anything at all, it is my hope that this inspires you to look at the world through new eyes. It is also my hope that you share what you discover, so that we continue to grow together.

With that in mind, if anyone has a favorite shell they would like to discuss, I would be happy to share what I can, and just as importantly, I will admit what I don't know. Remember that there are at least 100,000 different species of shells, and I only have 500. Perhaps someone else in this forum can fill in the gaps. So, if you would like to experiment, please ask about a particular shell, or what shell represents a particular lesson, (Ocean Wisdom covers lessons in survival, victimization, perceptions of beauty, compassion, love lessons, judgement, feeling special, feeling flawed, and faith to name a few)and lets see where this journey takes us. And, elf, I promise I will get to the Helmet Conch :)

tmgrl2

OH how I loved your post on AML, and Gift from the Sea, Shelley!!

I can fully understand how you would feel the way you did...as I peruse the book again, now, it holds an entirely different perspective for me.

Now, I see her walks along the beach and the shells she finds and her interpretations, almost like

a single ....reading that she did for herself,

a moment in time...

The book really was about a moment in time, about her need to step back and see where her life was as an individual and as a partner in a relationship.

So...in a way....she did a "reading" for herself....with the shells she picked up....and certainly, people could identify with her words...but she could have found different shells at a different point in life and the "reading" would have suited that moment in time. I wonder, now, if she were to walk the beach and find similar shells and write down her thoughts, how her result would differ.

That's why I can't wait to receive your book and cards....because I feel there will be a larger perspective at play.

I, too, in 1963, found much in her book that I couldn't relate to...partly because I was only 21....some of it that I vigorously underlined, no longer holds whatever meaning I deemed important at that young age.

Some of it, as I reread it, at age 63, still has an impact...the idea of finding
something or noticing something in nature as we go through life and learning to recognize the gift that it offers....I find this applies to many aspects of nature...animals in particular.

Even my lottery wins in the past few years...I have often wondered about the message the Universe was sending to one who has always said...

"I never win anything."

Now, the message to me seems somewhat simple...I don't care about winning any more....yet it seems that the more I give away, of myself, even of money,....the more comes to me...yes, even money.

When I am at peace within, without the battles in my head, when I can find that quiet place, of being in-Spirit, I can be receptive to the messages we encounter every day.

And with my love of the Ocean and the beach and shells (although on our Northern Shore of Long Island, the selection is less rich than that of the Sorthern Shore)....I am so looking forward to having in hand your deck and book.

Thank you!

terri

Satori

Update on my workshop:

Barring any unforseen circumstances like illness, problems around housebreaking the dog or even husbands going missing, it seems that Shelley and I will meet this weekend for our workshop!

Will post and let you all know how it goes.

I'm so glad to see Shelley here and sharing her ideas with all of us.

As for the story of the conch, it is well worth the wait.

gravenimages

I just got my Ocean Oracle in the mail yesterday!

Please keep this thread going--I'm in the midst of catching up this week and want to reread what's up here already and post some new questions. More later!

Natalie :)

Ruby7

I received my Ocean Oracle this morning.

My immediate impression is that this is a well made set and I am extremely happy with the quality of the cards and box. This is important to me since I just cannot connect with poorly made products, everything has to feel "right". All 200 cards were there and now I just have to get to know them :).

The photographs of the shells are amazing. Thanks to Shelley for putting her heart and soul into this wonderful set (lifework).

All the best,
Ruby7

Satori

I was out picking up some sheets and a few things for my girls when I saw wildly colored shells printed on hand towels!

So, don't anyone tell Shelley, but I picked two up for her and will bring them with me tomorrow.

This is just too funny. I'm seeing shells everywhere. I also saw little shell and starfish lanterns...they were metal with a place for a votive candle. And they were bright orange! I was tempted for a second, but the orange looked impossible to match.

Looks like the shells are really calling to me.....

lark

I was walking around outside yesterday our first real spring day here with temps of 60...
And I realised that I have for years been buying bags of shells at the dollar store and using them as decorative linings on the outside of my flower beds.
Just like the childrens rhyme~
Mary, Mary quite contrary how does your garden grow?
With silver bells and cockle shells and pretty maids all in a row.

It looks so pretty and fresh, flowers and shells just seem to go together so well.

Jewel-ry

I keep returning to this thread. It is truly wonderful!

I love the ocean and often walk the beaches with my hubby. Usually our hobbies mean we take completely different paths but the beach is one of the places in the world where we come together. I have a collection of shells from all over the world and often 'play' with them which is very therapeutic. I have to say I never thought of them as a divination tool though and see them in a completely different light now!

I also did a course in oceanography several years ago which taught me a lot about the ocean and the creatures which dwell in it. I feel inspired to re-read some of it as my life has changed so much in recent years and I think re-visiting it will be enlightening.

Thanks for thread everyone...just great!

shell oracle

I was all set to post the story of the Helmet Conch, but now I see mentions of starfish and cockle shells and of course I have a desire to speak about them. I am torn. Elf has been so patient with her request for the story of Helmet Conch, so, I will write about Helmet Conch now, and get back to these other topics next time.

I have grown fond of the people in this forum, and want to serve the shells to the best of my ability. To do the Helmet Conch justice, there are many levels to this lesson. The best place to begin is at the beginning.

20 years ago, when I first began shell reading, it was due to a comment from someone who saw my shell collection. He mentioned he had heard of a shell reader. It was as if fireworks exploded inside me. I had never heard of such a thing …but I felt an immediate desire to go for a reading. I was extremely shy, but I called this person for days trying to obtain the contact information for the reader. When his attempts to get me the information proved futile, in a desire to salvage something from this, he suggested I use my own shells. Having never thought about this, but having studied them all my life, my reply was to say “but everyone will know that Cone shells are deadly, and tusks have no heart, and Tiger Cowries connect with faith, etc. naming about 6 shells and what they meant. I honestly believed that this was common knowledge. He assured me that not everyone would know this. I hung up the phone, and wandered over to my collection wondering how to proceed. It was surprisingly easy. By the end of the week, I knew what every shell in my collection meant. I had over 200 at the time, but all I did was apply what I knew about the animal who created the shell, or its interaction with man throughout history, or its name. Based upon this criteria, you could find a unique meaning to assign to each shell, and that became its contribution to the language of the seashells.

When naming shells, they receive a common name and a scientific name. The scientific name is in Latin based upon genus and species and is identical all over the world. The common name varies with the location. Whoever first finds a shell can give it any common name they want. Often it is based upon their appearance. Helmet shells were so named because their shell’s appearance resembles helmets worn by ancient warriors. For this reason, in divination I always thought Helmet Conchs represented someone willing to fight for you. Years later, I received a book authored by an Australian malacologist named Neville Coleman. A malacologist studies the mollusks, the animals who create and inhabit shells. In his book, Shells Alive! Neville writes about this episode in great detail. I will try to do it justice by summarizing the events for you.

During his normal “recording functions underwater”, he came across three Helmet Conchs in a triangular formation each about “5 metres away” from the other two. Two were positioned properly to get around, but one was buried in the sand on its side. When I read this, I realized that Helmet Conchs have no operculum, or door, covering the opening to their shell, so not only was this conch stuck, it was exposed to any predator in the vicinity. Even if it somehow avoided that fate, being stuck prevents it from obtaining food, and it would waste away from malnutrition. Neville admits that it is only in hindsight that he tells this story because he barely noticed these conchs. It never occurred to him to turn this animal over because his mind was full of the recent observations from his swim, and he had to return to change film. The only thought he gave them when observing their position was to assume (as it turned out, correctly) that other divers gathered them on a boat and tossed them overboard after being informed that they belonged to a protected species. A few hours later, with fresh air tanks and new film he made his way back and he “nearly froze at what the torchlight revealed.” The two conchs who were correctly positioned had made their way closer to the one in trouble. Being a trained malacologist, he sat back and observed the action. The two conchs did approach the one buried in the sand. “They had furrowed out a depression around the immobile shell, having dug away the sand as efficiently as if they were a pair of miniature bulldozers.” He says: “I just didn’t believe what might be happening, but I took the pictures anyway.” As he watched in awe, after loosening the sand around the conch that was stuck, the two mobile conchs came around behind it, climbed up on the shell and toppled it over. Neville was nearly in tears as he witnessed two “dumb, unfeeling invertebrates without vision or any known form of communication, with pea-sized ‘brains’ and no reasoning mechanism that we are aware of combine their actions to assist another of their species in trouble.”

I recognized that these conchs had to know a comrade was in trouble, care enough to cooperate in figuring out a plan of action, then carry it out… and they did! This rescue mission demonstrated both intelligence and compassion. My first thought was how remarkably in synch this behavior was with the divination meaning of someone willing to fight for you. In quite dramatic contrast, after I read Neville’s account of the Helmet Conchs, the headline story in my newspaper that night was about a woman in New York who was mugged. Despite her screams for help, everyone ignored her because they didn’t want to get involved. I couldn’t help but think that a Helmet Conch would come to her rescue, so who is the more evolved species?

Neville also wrote of his spiritual challenge with what he witnessed. As he put it,”I hated what my brain would eventually do to that scene. I cursed every bit of cold calculating behavioral biology I’d ever learned…I hated beyond hate, science, myself, and the world in general because I knew in my heart that this, like a thousand other encounters in the animal world must fade into objectiveness.” He explains that science has exacting principles, “of which feelings play no part. One cannot evaluate animal behavior in terms of human experiences and emotions.”

As a scientist, I have faced a similar challenge to Neville’s when learning to translate seashells. I had to leave cold science and venture into the realm of feelings and intuition. I believe that animals are not some lower life forms that only operate upon instinct. Who says that we are ascribing human traits upon these animals? Maybe they so obviously possess traits that we aspire to, that the only way we allow ourselves to be comfortable with their capacity for unconditional love is to label this as instinct. Otherwise, if they possess this spiritual trait we desire, logic dictates that they are the more evolved beings. But, what if a dog does have a choice whether to run into a burning building, or to dive into freezing waters to rescue a family member? These acts of love could be the genuine article, and writing them off as instinct does us all a disservice. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if the animals were mirroring our own default settings…the loving beings we really are.

When I first posed the question, “Who is the more evolved species?” comparing the Helemt Conch to the people who ignored the mugging victim, I was leaning toward the conch. I have since come to believe that energetically we are all light beings. One of us comes to Earth and zips on a “human suit”, another a “dog suit”, another a “tree suit”, but underneath we are all the same light beings. At this energetic level, no being is above or below another on the evolutionary scale…we are all one. Instead of looking upon this demonstration of animal compassion as “less than” because it is only instinct, why not see the gift they offer us, teaching us who we are…even in the behavior of a snail?

I think Neville may share these thoughts because he ends his account with these words: “Regardless of how, or why, I saw two ‘lowly invertebrates’ spend several hours saving the life of another ‘lowly invertebrate’ and nobody on this planet is going to convince me otherwise.”

After such a powerful demonstration of their willingness to fight for their comrade, there is one more lesson Helmet Conch teaches. When I do readings, I always ask people to tell me what shells get their attention. It could be because they find them to be beautiful, or because they are bothered by them. It doesn’t matter…whatever it takes to get their attention counts. I mention this, because very often the Helmet Conch bothers people. When this shell is not liked, it means someone you thought you could count on, someone you thought was willing to fight for you, let you down. The pain of this shatters the capacity to trust.
When you can no longer trust those you love, you don’t trust anyone. This limits your ability to delegate tasks because you don’t want to give anyone the opportunity to let you down. Therefore, you don’t ask for help; you do everything yourself.
In addition, if anyone asks you to do anything, you will make an extra effort to fulfill obligations. You know the pain of being let down by others and you would not want to inflict that pain on anyone else. When Helmet Conch is disliked, it is teaching us about our capacity to trust. It reveals the toll it takes without our awareness when we have lost that precious ability.
I just realized that an important part of the rescue mission is the fact that it took two Helmet Conchs to save their comrade. This could not have been accomplished alone. They had to rely on each other...trust in a literal matter of life and death!