.traveller.'s tarot

Bat Chicken

.traveller. said:
It's important to me to maintain the traditional symbolism because of the spiritual significance. The creation of the images and the execution of those images becomes a meditative process for me.
It just seems to me that there must be some higher reason for these symbols to have survived, more or less intact, to the present day. It is also a technical/artistic challenge to work within the constraints of a predetermined system and yet create something uniquely my own. ...

Sorry - I was a little too flippant - what I meant was - why use traditional means to express those symbols... I am not suggesting you completely 'reinvent' the system.

.traveller.

Don't worry about it :), it was a legitimate question and one that I felt deserved a well thought out response.
For the XX card, I don't plan to change the overall composition but rather, add elements (such as the horn) and clarify some of the background features. Right now, the card still has a very "Tobias and the Angel" feel that I am unsure about.

.traveller.

update

Another concept sketch, this time of the Ace of Swords. I am both happy and unhappy with this image. I guess that's the way it goes :p

Milfoil

I love it, both the image and the concept.

You've got some wonderful ideas for this deck Traveller.

.traveller.

Thank you. I really want to start on carving the blocks, but I may be moving soon and that much wood would be expensive to ship.

webmuse

.traveller. said:
Thank you. I really want to start on carving the blocks, but I may be moving soon and that much wood would be expensive to ship.

Love XX! All are amazing and fluid though.

Moving?? From Colorado???

This can't be . . . but, but, but . . . the mountains??? What will you do without them?

.traveller.

I wish I could stay, but I need to go where the work is. My field is very competitive and the best jobs/best pay is back on the East Coast. I have some applications in with the Smithsonian <fingers crossed>, hopefully I will hear something.

Thank you for the comments on my work. I am working on the 3 of swords next. The 2 of swords isn't speaking to me right now, so I can't come up with an image that feels right.

Bat Chicken

I really like the ace! Wonderful atmosphere....
.traveler - are you an illustrator - or what's you day job, if I may ask....?

.traveller.

Bat Chicken said:
I really like the ace! Wonderful atmosphere....
.traveler - are you an illustrator - or what's you day job, if I may ask....?

Thanks! I am really happy with the atmosphere as well, I am glad that came across. The part I am unhappy with is the transition between the hilt and the pommel (sp?). It's a very important transition in regards to the meaning of the card and I am just not convinced that it is working.

I just graduated with a BFA in Studio Art and I am looking for work. My prime interest is in Art History, so I am trying to find work in a museum; my goal is to become a curator someday. My drawing skills just aren't good enough to be an illustrator and the field is glutted with graphic artists, I wouldn't have a chance. Someday, I hope to take some classes in graphics to be more competitive but right now, I just can't afford it.

Bat Chicken

After 8 years as a graphic designer, it's no better there..... The museum job would be considerably more interesting and a better choice if you have it! It's pretty cut-throat anywhere near the printing industry...

As for the pommel transition issue you are troubled by - I may have a suggestion for you to try - the contrast may be too strong at that point - overemphasizing the form, in essence, challenging the reflective effect (reflections are flat, right?). Maybe try to make the hilt the darker value and, where it joins the pommel, the light would be striking (logically), make it very 'hot'. Another option would be to just flatten the sphere a little so it is less abrupt and use the form of the water to create hot spots.

Does that make any sense? Probably not - I am too visual...! :D Just a suggestion... it's an amazing concept, very well executed. You really don't need my help!:)