Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum

Raziel Tarot

> Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot > Tarot Decks

Citizen

tapestry 
Smile

Yes, I'm interested in this one, too....beautiful art work and imagery!
Top   #11
Oraculist

Shade 

Here is a roundup of all the cards thus far: http://robertmplacetarot.com/the-raz...-adam-and-eve/

They are beautiful cards - for some reason I'm not in favor of the way the titles are placed on them but that's a nitpick.
Top   #12
Citizen

FaintlyMacabre 

What was a surprise is that where it seems a little disappointing to me is in some of the art - like the faces of the women. I was, "Yay! Robert Place!" And some of the cards are beautiful but I'm not so keen on some of the others. The women all look like they ate the bitter fruit. (My isp isn't loading things very well.)

Diana
Top   #13
Citizen

Queen of Disks 

The cards look great but they feel like they are missing something.
Top   #14
Citizen

FaintlyMacabre 

Did Rachel draw the card back?

Diana
Top   #15
Citizen

Nemia 

The Moon reminds me of Simeon Salomon's paintings of the moon - I'm sure Robert Place knows the Jewish Pre-Raphaelite.

Another association was Carol Ockman's article about "Two large eyebrows a l'Orientale: ethnic stereotyping in Ingres’ Baronne de Rothschild" - a Jewish topic and such strong eyebrows!!!! :-)

It looks interesting and I'm sure there will be a wonderful book about it. It seems to me that this deck is as far removed from "mainstream" Judaism as his Saints deck from "mainstream" Catholicism; it draws on mystical traditions and esoteric teachings.

But not all the cards reach the artistic heights of some of Place's earlier works, IMO. I find the Sun really disturbing. I hope Place won't turn into a caricature of his own style. I usually love his flatness, rigidity and Classicist imperturbability (is there such a word?), but he takes it really very very far here.

He has lost the heavy cross hatch of his earlier style and replaced it color gradients - that's a pity IMO. Crosshatch is a linear device and suits his style that's based on linear art like Hypnerotomachia wood prints. Color gradients in this precise perfection scream: computer! And they counteract the flatness of his work. No, I find that his earlier work was more stringent visually and to me, more pleasing.
Top   #16
Lunatic

Farzon 

O wow! It's beautiful as are every decks by Robert Place! I think he already did the Burning Serpent Oracle together worn Rachel Pollack and I enjoyed it a lot. I'm surely going for this deck!

I love how they unite the traditions of Toth and RWS in the cards Lovers, Temperance and Devil.
Top   #17
Golden Silvery Dionna

Alta 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemia View Post
I find that his earlier work was more stringent visually and to me, more pleasing.
Once again Nemia you have put beautifully into words what I felt but couldn't express. 'stringent visually', perfect. I have several prints from Sevenfold Mystery (aside he doesn't seem to offer prints anymore) and via Burning Serpent his style has gradually changed.
Top   #18
Crickets and cicadas sing

Terrapin 

Thanks Shade for the roundup. These are beautiful.
Top   #19
Lunatic

Farzon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemia View Post
The Moon reminds me of Simeon Salomon's paintings of the moon - I'm sure Robert Place knows the Jewish Pre-Raphaelite.

Another association was Carol Ockman's article about "Two large eyebrows a l'Orientale: ethnic stereotyping in Ingres’ Baronne de Rothschild" - a Jewish topic and such strong eyebrows!!!! :-)

It looks interesting and I'm sure there will be a wonderful book about it. It seems to me that this deck is as far removed from "mainstream" Judaism as his Saints deck from "mainstream" Catholicism; it draws on mystical traditions and esoteric teachings.

But not all the cards reach the artistic heights of some of Place's earlier works, IMO. I find the Sun really disturbing. I hope Place won't turn into a caricature of his own style. I usually love his flatness, rigidity and Classicist imperturbability (is there such a word?), but he takes it really very very far here.

He has lost the heavy cross hatch of his earlier style and replaced it color gradients - that's a pity IMO. Crosshatch is a linear device and suits his style that's based on linear art like Hypnerotomachia wood prints. Color gradients in this precise perfection scream: computer! And they counteract the flatness of his work. No, I find that his earlier work was more stringent visually and to me, more pleasing.
I agree, the cards were better off without the color gradients. But looking at his work I think he really sons for a style that is only outlines and colors. When I looked at the cards this morning I was very pleased. Nevertheless I liked the Hermit cards from the Sevenfold Mystery and the Alchemical better. (One of the most important cards to me)

Some of the 3D-Effects seem pretty off. Still love most of the cards though... especially Judgement. It's a beautifully different take in the card's meaning, yet still so in line with the Christian undercurrent of the traditional card.
Top   #20

Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

Copyright © 1996 - 2019 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.