Universal Tarot - Maxwell Miller

G6

I love this deck. Oh the relief of one less court card in each suit! It reads fine, honestly it does.

We always think we need ALL the cards in line with the rules and if tarot decks had 87 cards we would NEED 87 cards and if they had 259 cards we would NEED 259 cards. Really - this deck works fine.

Thanks, LF. Would you be able to tell me the size of the cards in the English version?

rwcarter

Thanks, LF. Would you be able to tell me the size of the cards in the English version?
I do all my card size in metric, so 85mm x 119mm. Generally, wider than Lo Scarabeo decks but about the same height.

Rodney

G6

I do all my card size in metric, so 85mm x 119mm. Generally, wider than Lo Scarabeo decks but about the same height.

Rodney

3.5 x 4.5. That'll work, thanks!

I read this on Tarot Passages about why there are less court cards in this deck:

"Maxwell gives the following reasons for his change: "This reflects the tradition which has prevailed in playing cards, and also allows each one to clearly represent one zodiac sign." He further buttresses this argument by saying: "It is worth remembering that some early Tarot decks numbered 62 cards and the Florentine Tarot contained ninety-seven." It also allows him to make his numerological system fit. Numerically speaking, the key numbers for Maxwell's system are 3 and 7. 52 Minor Arcana reduce to 7, whereas 56 reduce to a messy 11 or 2. Maxwell was wise enough to recognize that some would find this change "unacceptable". I leave this for you to decide on your own, just be aware that there are no Pages in this deck. The remaining court cards are King, Queen and Knave."

Patrick Booker

3.5 x 4.5. That'll work, thanks!

I read this on Tarot Passages about why there are less court cards in this deck:

"Maxwell gives the following reasons for his change: "This reflects the tradition which has prevailed in playing cards, and also allows each one to clearly represent one zodiac sign." He further buttresses this argument by saying: "It is worth remembering that some early Tarot decks numbered 62 cards and the Florentine Tarot contained ninety-seven." It also allows him to make his numerological system fit. Numerically speaking, the key numbers for Maxwell's system are 3 and 7. 52 Minor Arcana reduce to 7, whereas 56 reduce to a messy 11 or 2. Maxwell was wise enough to recognize that some would find this change "unacceptable". I leave this for you to decide on your own, just be aware that there are no Pages in this deck. The remaining court cards are King, Queen and Knave."

I still have the deck and like it. I have tried to find further references to the artist, but without success. His reasons for the omission of a Court Card do not justify this for me, and the missing cards are the reason I have never properly used it. He apparently used to take the paintings with him and incorporate them in performance art. There are some lovely images in the deck.

Patrick

G6

I still have the deck and like it. I have tried to find further references to the artist, but without success. His reasons for the omission of a Court Card do not justify this for me, and the missing cards are the reason I have never properly used it. He apparently used to take the paintings with him and incorporate them in performance art. There are some lovely images in the deck.

Patrick

There are some stunning cards here, which is what draws me to this deck. I'm not sure I'll miss the page cards, but it is too bad the artist didn't just make a full deck and suggest not using the page cards in the guidebook instead.