What is it about the Marseilles art that you like?

starlightexp

Hello all,

Don't worry: I resist to all temptations (except Led Zepppelin ha ha !!).
My next two decks Heri 1718 and Claude Burdel 1751 will be square corners coz they were like this and a facsimile is a facsimile.
One little month to still wait for this.... I am excited by them.

Best

Yves

You can be forgiven the Led Zeppelin, few can resist

kalliope

I like the simplicity and straightforwardness of the Marseille decks, and I've been charmed in recent years by the rough lines and quirky faces. Their art and style (and pips) are so unique they allow my brain to read them in a very different way from the RWS type decks, and I appreciate that flexibility and variety.

I agree that it's hard to decide between facsimiles/reproductions and restorations. I want to have both! But if I had to pick one, I'd say facsimiles. The muted colors, faded lines, and flaws of age excite me like all mysterious old things do. Just like with old books, there is something special and thrilling about a deck that has been around forever, that has survived and been handled. I feel an undercurrent that connects me to past eras and people. The reproductions allow me to pretend I'm using an incredible and ancient, fragile deck without having to worry about disintegrating paper or mildew. :laugh:
I love my Tarot Rhenan (Piatnik), the Chosson I just received, and the faux-facsimile Tarot Des Centuries. The Madenié is next. I pine for a Dussere Dodal, and really wish someone would make an accurate facsimile of the Jean-Pierre Payen.

The restorations and redrawings are almost an entirely separate category of deck to me. They trade in their atmosphere of mystery, but gain a different beauty and appeal with their bold lines and fresh colors. I do really enjoy my Robledo and ISIS TdMs, and the Spanish. The Flornoy Dodal is great. I'm hoping to get the Noblet soon, and the Robledo Dodal.

Basically, yes, we need them all.

My next two decks Heri 1718 and Claude Burdel 1751 will be square corners coz they were like this and a facsimile is a facsimile.
One little month to still wait for this....

I'm happy to hear the Heri is one of the next decks up! There are some real characters with personality in that one. They won me over when I looked through the gallery on your site.

Yves Le Marseillais

To do list and to get list

I like the simplicity and straightforwardness of the Marseille decks, and I've been charmed in recent years by the rough lines and quirky faces. Their art and style (and pips) are so unique they allow my brain to read them in a very different way from the RWS type decks, and I appreciate that flexibility and variety.

I agree that it's hard to decide between facsimiles/reproductions and restorations. I want to have both! But if I had to pick one, I'd say facsimiles. The muted colors, faded lines, and flaws of age excite me like all mysterious old things do. Just like with old books, there is something special and thrilling about a deck that has been around forever, that has survived and been handled. I feel an undercurrent that connects me to past eras and people. The reproductions allow me to pretend I'm using an incredible and ancient, fragile deck without having to worry about disintegrating paper or mildew. :laugh:
I love my Tarot Rhenan (Piatnik), the Chosson I just received, and the faux-facsimile Tarot Des Centuries. The Madenié is next. I pine for a Dussere Dodal, and really wish someone would make an accurate facsimile of the Jean-Pierre Payen.

The restorations and redrawings are almost an entirely separate category of deck to me. They trade in their atmosphere of mystery, but gain a different beauty and appeal with their bold lines and fresh colors. I do really enjoy my Robledo and ISIS TdMs, and the Spanish. The Flornoy Dodal is great. I'm hoping to get the Noblet soon, and the Robledo Dodal.

Basically, yes, we need them all.

I'm happy to hear the Heri is one of the next decks up! There are some real characters with personality in that one. They won me over when I looked through the gallery on your site.

Bonjour Kalliope,

Yes all attemps to revival this ancient historical tarot decks are valuable and we all have various point of viezw and aesthetic preferences.
A good deck is a deck YOU like and that's all folks !
My own collection is made of real old tarot decks I bought 800 € or 1200 € and facsimiles and restorations and artistic creations much cheaper. All complys with my own taste and I am please to see all of them.

Regarding Jean Pierre Payen as facsimile he is clearly in my own "to do" decks.
I will do it sooner or later for sure.
Just allow me some time and necessary contacts and negotiations for it and you will get it for sure.

Cheers,

Yves

Debra

The authenticity of the images and the printing.

felicityk

As a recent convert to the TdM, I prefer facsimile decks. The historical significance of different variations is what appeals to me more than the art itself.

My only proper TdM so far is Yves Reynaud's Pierre Madenie reproduction. Since that is a Type II, I am interested in obtaining a Type I, and to that end...

Regarding Jean Pierre Payen as facsimile he is clearly in my own "to do" decks.
I will do it sooner or later for sure.
Just allow me some time and necessary contacts and negotiations for it and you will get it for sure.

Hooray! I will try to be patient.

Felicity

Debra

lol nicky!

I don't see how anyone could resist this guy...

Attachments

• kn swords vieville.jpg
    kn swords vieville.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 150

Chrystella

Or those crazy Pendus! :joke:

360_-_Vandenborre_Bacchus_-_XII_-_Le_Pendu.jpg
360_-_Marseille-Centuries_-_XII_-_IIX_-_LE_PENDV.jpg