Question for those lucky one who hav the MARSEILLE TAROT: TOWARDS THE ART OF READING

rylla

I have a question for those who have both the MARSEILLE TAROT: TOWARDS THE ART OF READING and the Tarot - the Open Reading: which one explains better the Marseilles minors? I am trying to decide which one to buy for this purpose.

Thank you!

ETA or which any other book do you consider the best as teaching Marseilles minors?

The Happy Squirrel

There is a whole thread discussing this in the book and media section I think. From what I remember another book that is often mentioned is one by Jean Michel David. Don't bother with Amazon marketplace as they seem to be asking for insane prices. I know Lulu.com sells them.

3ill.yazi

Question for those lucky one who hav the MARSEILLE TAROT: TOWARDS THE ART OF ...

Short version: Camelia Elias does not give a card by card explanation of the pips, and provides a system apparently based on (Ruth ?) (Jackson's?) hedgewytchery, and sharing in the spirit of Enrique Enriques style. Ben Dov gives a card by card suggestion, influenced in part by Jodorowsky. Both books are essential, and eclipsed somewhat by David.

Le Fanu

You don't want to hear this but they are both good. I don't think there is anything in this world worth understanding where you only have to read one book.

I like them both very much. Not even for different reasons - different perspectives perhaps, different voices, both very distinct. I can't even say that it's for different reasons.

I honestly don't know which I would recommend. I know that there were a few things in the Towards the Art of Reading Marseilles book which irritated people here - but I can't remember what it was - and it certainly didn't irritate me. But maybe only that will be your deciding factor.

I honestly think both of these books will really help you to read with the Marseilles. I know people often recommend threads here at AT too. but I'll be honest, no "reading approaches" I have read here have ever helped me to read better with the Marseilles. Only certain books, these two included.

ETA; where do you find the Jean Michel David book? There seems to be no trace of it anywhere!

The Happy Squirrel

Lulu.com available as e book or physical book. I cancelled my e book after some difficulty with downloading to my tablet (I am technologically challenged and only know how to download books on kindle), I swapped it for a physical book. The book is huge! :) nice big pictures of cards though so me like :)

3ill.yazi

Lulu.com available as e book or physical book. I cancelled my e book after some difficulty with downloading to my tablet (I am technologically challenged and only know how to download books on kindle), I swapped it for a physical book. The book is huge! :) nice big pictures of cards though so me like :)

I got my copy via lulu with no problems at all. The print version is way too pricey for me.

rylla

You don't want to hear this but they are both good. I don't think there is anything in this world worth understanding where you only have to read one book.

ETA; where do you find the Jean Michel David book? There seems to be no trace of it anywhere!

Good point! And no need to choose then :)

I read lots and lots of books on RWS type decks. Some of the were good, some of them not so good. I read a few books on Crowley type deck. I did not get a good understanding of Crowley deck and the kabala. Until I read the Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot by Lon Milo Duquett .at Gregory's advise. So I thought I do smarter this time, start with reading only the really good books on the topic.

THANK YOU ALL FOR THEIR HELP AND COMMENTS, I REALLY APPRECIATE IT!

(both books are in my amazon baschet :) - the third one, the Jean Michel David's book is expensive even at Lulu (almost $50). I thought to buy the eBook and print it out but since it'is huge (a valuable info found also in this thread) I have to think about it)

gregory

amazon US.

And yes - the lulu business was a nightmare. I was lucky - JMD helped me out, but HONESTLY - until he did, I thought my money was gone for ever - they said I had downloaded it - but it failed over and over.

Le Fanu

amazon US.

And yes - the lulu business was a nightmare. I was lucky - JMD helped me out, but HONESTLY - until he did, I thought my money was gone for ever - they said I had downloaded it - but it failed over and over.
Thank you! But at $82, I think I'll leave it. And there isn't even a Kindle version! I'm sure it's a great book. What on earth was I doing in 2011 to miss this? Was it always so expensive?

The Happy Squirrel

Question for those lucky one who hav the MARSEILLE TAROT: TOWARDS THE ART OF ...

Thank you! But at $82, I think I'll leave it. And there isn't even a Kindle version! I'm sure it's a great book. What on earth was I doing in 2011 to miss this? Was it always so expensive?

I don't think it was that much from Lulu.com
Amazon marketplace isn't always the best first stop I found.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/jean-miche...rseille-tarot/paperback/product-15833660.html

About $50