Reading for couples

Nimue May

I have a general rule not to read for couples because of what may come out in the readings. On the very odd occasions when I have read for two I have also found that I can get my wires crossed and what I am seeing is in fact about the person not being read for. What do you do in this instance? Does anybody out there read for couples and how do you get around the issues I seem to have
thanks

Apollonia

When couples come into my reading room, I tell them I'll read for the two of them together on anything EXCEPT their relationship. I've found that I do not get good results with relationship readings when both parties are together--one person's energy seems to totally overshadow the reading, and of course, as you say, if something sensitive comes up, it's difficult to know what to say: "Um, one of you is really controlling and abusive, and the other wants out..." Awkward.

janee

I am the same as Apollonia in that I will read for both but not on their relationship for the same reasons, it is far too awkward and that also applies if I know the couple really well.

Grizabella

If a couple were to come to me and want a reading on the relationship, it would say to me that there was some co-dependency going on, and also that there would be probably some controlling behavior on the part of one of them as well. With unhealthy dynamics going on like that, I'd be very uncomfortable reading for them on a relationship question.

I've been sitting here for the longest time, thinking about whether or not I'd actually agree to read for them both together on a relationship question. I just might. It would take finesse, diplomacy, empathy, compassion, wisdom and impartiality---and probably even some other stuff. Some days I have more of those things than others.

Rev_Vesta

I will not read for couples because of the sensitivity of the readings I do..... but if a client wishes to share their reading with their partner that is their choice.........
I type up the readings for each person and then they can discuss it with whoever they choose....

but for me I will not do couple readings..........in any circumstance... as I can not be responsible for their actions......

I say what comes out of the cards and can not guarentee that something private will not be revealed.......

Vesta

Nimue May

Thanks for the advice.. I don't read for couples but I do tape each reading and what the person chooses to do with that tape is up to them. I just find it too hard otherwise.

le fey

I think it depends on what sort of reading the couple is looking for. The kind where its likely to lead to the reading pointing out specifics abouts about things that haven't been shared or speaking of future outlooks could be tricky (and if they're sitting there afraid of what is going to be revealed, the reading would be very awkward anyway).

But for those who are thinking about it, Mark McElroy's Tarot From the Heart might be worth a look... the reading examples there (some solo, some as couples) show a brainstorming/problem solving approach, where a reading is designed to help them talk to each other, understand how each one is perceiving a situation and work together jointly to find answers. The readings highlight options rather than tell them what's going to happen and keeps to a very positive path even regarding tough situations (boredom, feeling smothered, whatever... all those relationship glitches that crop up) because it stays in the realm of 'how can we work together to correct this?

May not be a style that would work for every reader but maybe something to tuck away for when that happy shiny newlywed duo comes in wanting a reading or a couple looking to treat themselves for their anniversary.

Queens&Knights

Reading for a couple

I'm glad I found this thread - this the exact question I had. Right now I'm still doing "practice"readings, but it has already come up. The cards I got were conflicting and I wondered if it might have to do with the fact that I was trying to read for two people at once. I guess it would help if I were more experienced, but I definitely got a strange vibe.

thanks!

QK

Mystica7

I personally don't read for couples. Never. (Anymore.) The tarot -or whatever means of oracle I use- mirrors every very significant thing which involves the couple, their past, other people involved, and their probable future together. It disturbs me. The moment I connect with their energy I start seeing visions/feeling things and the cards acts as a tool, as they are...

Once a couple wanted to get a reading from me, while I was doing this business for money.

The woman was curious about their future together... And the moment I saw them I felt something was amiss with them.

Progressing on my path further, I've learnt to detach myself from the situation/other people's stuff, but back then I was younger/less experienced so I couldn't help myself simply falling into a trance. I've told them everything I've seen. There was another woman, the guy was married, with children, living in a house as such and such, they (the couple getting the reading) were fighting a lot, they were soon to travel somewhere and...

Everything was confirmed until the last thing I've said about them pertaining to their future.

They were to have a big fight there too, which would probably set the doom for their relationship. I don't know if this came true...

The woman was rather unsurprised, but the guy's face was white with fear. He was trembling while he handed down my money, and they left the place in a hurry, as if escaping. I've never seen them near the cafe again...

-------------------

Now that's what professional readers don't do (or cause), but even later when I've found more detached, constructive and still honest (in short, evolved) ways of doing a reading, I still don't like to see when a girl is crazy in love with a guy and he is and asshole.

If a relationship is smooth and really positive, then no couples need me (or shall not apply to me) since I'm not doing this for entertainment but for guidance purposes. BUT if my help is needed to smooth/solve out a problematic relationship, I am in and I will do whatever I can, as a coach (with intuition skills), not a fortune teller. I just have to see that both parties are eager and honest, and are not playing with each other.

rwcarter

I'm glad I found this thread - this the exact question I had. Right now I'm still doing "practice"readings, but it has already come up. The cards I got were conflicting and I wondered if it might have to do with the fact that I was trying to read for two people at once. I guess it would help if I were more experienced, but I definitely got a strange vibe.
I don't read professionally, but I would suggest a) using a spread that's specifically designed to look at the issue(s) from two different perspectives (so there would be two cards per position, one for each person in the relationship) and/or b) using two different decks, one for each person.

So you could use one deck and a spread that looks at both perspectives, use two decks and a spread that looks at both perspectives or use two decks and a spread not designed to be used with multiple people. Otherwise, you're right that you'll likely be confused by what the cards are trying to tell you as you won't know which person is being discussed.

Rodney