Horary DIY

Astraea

Don't be so sure you are the wrong who is wrong, it could easily be me! I cast the chart with Io for Macintosh and will go back and be sure I entered the data correctly.

Astraea

Just checked it...Io gives 00 degrees 42 minutes Scorpio as the 3rd house cusp. This is a good example of what can happen with slight variations in programs.

Astraea

The chart you e-mailed me looks as if the 3rd house cusp is just over the line into Scorpio (visually), but if Morinus gave you a printout listing the 3rd house cusp as 29.16 Libra, there's definitely a discrepancy between Io and Morinus.

I'm going to go cast the chart at Astro because my Windows machine with Janus and Solar Fire is in the shop - back in a minute.

Astraea

Lee, the error was mine - I cast the chart on Io for 6:48 instead of 6:42. Recasting the chart on Io, I now get 29.20 Libra. My profound apologies, and now I will go back and have another look.

Astraea

Okay, now Venus represents the existing neighbors. And she is in detriment, unaspected in an unfortunate house. The new neighbors are still shown to be have more dignities than the existing ones.

(Edited to add: I just now saw your post about the reason for your move, and thank you for your clarification of the neighbor issue, which I had misunderstood through no fault of yours - mea culpa. Still, the bottom line for me is that your new neighbors look better than the existing ones, so you will not regret moving on that score.

Since your question is not "will the new neighbors be better than the old ones?", but simply whether your new neighbors will be satisfactory, a case could be made for looking at the radical 3rd house to describe any neighbors - in which case the answer would be different. But you don't exist in a vacuum - you are moving from one situation to another and I see your present neighbors as part of the context of your life change, and foundational to your question. So I think we are safe in looking at the chart in terms of an exchange of neighbors - i.e. 3rd from the 3rd.)

Lee

Lee, the error was mine - I cast the chart on Io for 6:48 instead of 6:42. Recasting the chart on Io, I now get 29.20 Libra. My profound apologies, and now I will go back and have another look.
Please don't apologize -- in fact, I'm sure you will understand when I say that I received the news of your error with exquisite delight. :D Such is human nature. :rolleyes:

I keep forgetting to attach the chart here -- here it is.

Attachments

• Lee horary neighbors.jpg
    Lee horary neighbors.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 418

Minderwiz

This is a really interesting horary, mostly because it does set some interpretational challenges.

I firmly agree with Astraea's approach - this is a question that should be settled by the dignity of the neighbour's significator, rather than an aspect. The chart screams change at me - with both your significator, Mercury in the 29th degree and the cusp of the third in the 29th degree You are about to relocate your dwelling to another Landlord shown by Mercury moving from the domicile of Saturn into the domicile of Jupiter and as a consequence the neighbours will change - the third cusp is about to move into Scorpio bringing new neigbours (indeed if you had used any other major house system you would have had a third cusp in Scorpio,

Now if I'd not had the benefit of Astraea's thoughts and got this question 'cold' I'd have used the radical third for the neighbours or possibly thought of using Mars, as the coming neighbours (because of the imminent departure into Scorpio of the third cusp). The question is clearly about the neighbours at the new apartment and the move is already decided, that is the current neighbours are not an issue in this question,,

If you had asked whether the new neighbours would be better than the existing ones then I would totally agree with Astraea in using the third for the existing and the fifth for the new and that's how I would have tackled it. Now she's got me thinking about it LOL

The great thing about horary is that it can be validated - so if the turned version suggests better neighbours than now then experience will show if that's a good choice of the house of the new neighbours.

So, left to myself I would have used Venus for the neighbours in the question and possibly thought about whether I should consider Mars as an alternative. I would not have thought about using the fifth as the house of the new neighbours. However I do see the force of Astraea's argument and I'm having some second thoughts.

Just a couple of questions about the chart's description of the situation:

Is your current Landlord a neighbour or (unlikely) an elder sibling? - Saturn, the current ruler of Mercury sits on the third cusp

If not: In the new apartment will your Landlord be a near neighbour or an elder sibling?

PS: The Moon would not be involved in any translation of light between Mercury and Venus as she will first aspect the Sun before she aspects Mercury thus prohibiting any translation of light.

Lee

Is your current Landlord a neighbour or (unlikely) an elder sibling? - Saturn, the current ruler of Mercury sits on the third cusp

If not: In the new apartment will your Landlord be a near neighbour or an elder sibling?
No to both.

Astraea

-- in fact, I'm sure you will understand when I say that I received the news of your error with exquisite delight. :D
Indeed I do! :D

Lee

I think I am not quite grasping how orbs figure into this. When we're looking for aspects between significators, or aspects to significators from benefics/malefics, or translation/collection of light, I know the aspects should be applying and should be in sign, but do they also need to be within orb? Or are we just looking for an aspect which is applying and is in the proper sign, regardless of degree?

If we need to pay attention to orbs, what are those orbs?

Apologies if this has been discussed before -- I did a thread search and couldn't find it, but it's a big thread and I may have simply lost track.