Native American Indian Astrology

NightQueen

thanks for all the links ill check them all out

Blessed Be

Mi-Shell

In Beauty and with much respect
I wish to advise the readers of this tread that the sites about the so called Native American Astrology animals on the first few posts stem from a man, that called himself Sun Bear and that they are his personal system invented to read horoscopes for whites for money.
They have absolutely nothing to do with ANY Native tradition and are vehemently renounced by ALL traditional First Nations Elders and teachers. Sun Bears claims of Native origine have been largely proven to be false and here in Native circles the pure mentioning of his name makes you "Persona non Grata" or as we say here "Bad Weather"

He and many others, like Lynn Andrews, Oh Sinah and Harley Swift Deer are considdered "Plastic Medicine People"and a detriment to authentic Native Culture.
Even the Human Rights Comission of Ontario
is aware of the miss-information spread by these and others about Native customs.
(goooogle the words of Chief Arvol Lookinghorse!)

Excelent and informative books about Native views of star powers and constelations are:

Stars of the First People = Native American Star Myth and Constellations from Dorcas S Miller
The Arctic Sky Inuit Astronomy Stae loreand legend
by John MacDonald
Earth is my Mother, Sky is my Father Space, time and Astronomy in Navajo Sandpaintings by Trudy Griffin-Pierce
......and another little tip: Most First Nations did and do not celebrate birthdays -originaly in their cultures. (now the may -or may not...)You were born in the "Winter of many Wolves" or that means you parents sired you in the "Spring of the late floods" ----- and THAT was what counted!!!!!

To know you have been sired on the Equinox ir Solstice was auspicious for many tribes and incidentaly is so for Siberian First Nations as well!

Here, where I live "Wintermaker" is rising in the Sky and you have to speak with Truth and Trust or the feared Wendigo will whisk you away..........

If you are interested I could write the Moons of the Anishenabe People and their Medicine meanings on here for you - in Ojibway and English and in Truth and Trust!
Mi-Shell

Dancing Bear

yes please write away Mi-Shell ;)

RaeBelle

Mi-Shell, please share. It sounds quite interesting.

Mi-Shell

Ojibway moons = New Moon to New Moon starting on the first New Moon after the Winter Solstice:

Gichi-giizis Big Moon
Migiziwi-giizis Eagle Moon
Niki-giizis returning Goose Moon
Omagakiiwi-giizis Frog Moon
Zaagibagaawi-giizis budding Tree Moon
Baashkaawano-giizis Egg breaking Moon
Abita-niibino-giizis Mid Summer Moon
Waatebagaawi-giizis Trees turning brown Moon
Moozo-ga-wiijindiwaad-giizis Moose mating Moon
Binaakwe-giizis Leaves falling Moon
Gashkadini-giizis Freezing Moon
Manidoowi-giizis Spirit Moon (solstice)

And here is Wintermaker rising --- to be shot down by the little kids with bow and arrow so that the the flute player can rise into the southern sky......
The Seven Sisters ---Pleiades-is one of the most important Winter Spirits and you sing to them every evening

Each First Nation has their own and therefore different stars and constellations......

for example:

STARS AND CONSTELLATIONS of the Inuit

Inuit Name European Principal Star(s)
(lgloolik)language Constellation
AaSjuuk Aquila Altair, Tarazed
Akui'tujuuk Orion Betelgeuse, Bellatrix
Kingulliq (a) Lyra Vega
Killgulliq (b) Orion Rigel
Nanurjuk Taurus Aldebaran
Nuuttuittuq Ursa Minor Polaris
Pi/Haq Cassiopeia Schadar, Caph, Cih
Qimmii/ Taurus Hyades
Qulurjuuk Gemini and Auriga Pollux, Castor,
Capella, Menkalinan
Sakiattitlk Taurus Pleiades
Sikul iaqsiuju i Canis Minor Procyon
Siuguunq Canis Major Sirius
Sivulliik Bootes Arcturus, Muphrid
Tuktilljuil Ursa Major Dubhe, Merak,
Phecda, Megrez
Ullaklut Orion Alnitak, Alnilam,
Mintaka
UqsI/utaattiaq Cassiopeia Schadar, Caph, Cih,
kCassiopeia
QU!1giammaariik Orion Nebula M42
Au/gutl Milky Way

What else can I tell you?????
Mi-Shell

A traditional Solstice chant???

Oh well --I can not get the picture into the tread it is a wrong extension!
maybe later.....

NightQueen

thank you so much for your info i will search for these books i really want to learn as much as i can please post any info u wish to share in regards to native american indians and their astrology

Mi-Shell

miss_yuko said:
I'm "Owl", which is pretty accurate since the Owl is my favorite animal...*points to avatar*

I never met a master who could tell me which is my totem animal, but i feel a great connection to Owls :D

~YUKO

Dear Yuko! If you are drawn to Owl then no MASTER of any kind should tell you what your Totem Animal / Miahanit is! That is between you and Spirit and right now Owl is speaking to you!
What walks through your dreams walks for your Soul = Inde' proverb.
learn EVERYTHING about the speciffic owl and her brothers and sisters. Where she lives and whom does she eat??? These will be other wisdom teachers for you!
Expand from there to other similar critters - and also HaWK since it is OWL's day brother....
Walk this path for a year and see where it leads you!

Now the Wistom watchers of this forum will come down on us because we are of topic!
Please we promise we will go right back to Astrology =
nibwaakaawin anangoog = Star Wisdom in Ojibway
or/ and
gonya'a' ts'ilsoose' = Star Wisdom in Inde'