Tarot history isn't very well organised

Huck

Well ....

to give an example, and you'll see, that it is a scandal, a scandal of bad information structure inside the system. And the victim is you, as you simply don't get up-to-date-informations.

Stuart Kaplan produced in 1978 his Encyclopedia of Tarot, a good-selling book, which later created the base for the internet culture, in which history of Tarot was discussed in finest details by some enthusiasts of the theme "History of Tarot".

Inside Kaplan's book he made 2 short entries, of DECEMBRIO (9 lines) and ISABELLA DA LORRRAINE (6 lines), page 26, in which he gives some informations, one about Decembrio noting a 1500 ducatos deck made for Filippo Visconti and the other about a letter, which was received by Isabella da Lorraine, which contained some information about a deck with 16 gods.

In 1989 the old-games-researcher Franco Pratesi published in the Playing Card Journal an article, in which he told, that he simply revisited the original document and discovered, that both entries do refer to the same object, a deck with the price of 1500 ducatos, made by Michelino da Besozzo, with an accompanying manuscript describing the deck made by Marziano da Tortona and the whole thing was thought out and commissioned by Filippo Maria Visconti.

Franco Pratesi published half Italian, half-English. That made it difficult for English readers to understand the message.

When Internet started (1995/96)', the information of Pratesi wasn't around, the discussions, which often were about "origin of Tarot" went on and on without mentioning his discovery. Later Tarothermit made at his internet-page a relatively short note about it - it stayed more or less hidden, wasn't discussed really and - of course - wasn't understood in his meaning.

Well - it definitely is about the oldest Tarot deck known. One should assume, that there is an enormous interest in Tarot circles at such an object. It isn't. People simply don't realise, what's before their nose.

1. The oldest deck, not really, but a fairly good description.

2. the oldest accompanying book, the first "Tarot book"

3. the oldest description, how the game was played

4. A letter with lots of interesting details and in it a passage, from which it becomes clear, that the term "ludus triumphorum" (= Trionfi) which was thought earlier to refer to common Tarot decks with 22 trumps or 21 trumps + Fool, in 1449 not necessarily was used to hint to decks with this structure.

Now we do write 2003, 25 years after Kaplan and 14 after Pratesi's discovery. The whole thing is still rather ignored and a lot of people are still fishing in the dark.

Especially the above mentioned point 4 clearly points out, that there is a deep error about that, what researchers do believe as the "original state of Tarot".

Compare:

http://geocities.com/autorbis/marcello1.html
http://geocities.com/autorbis/pbm14new.html

and if you wish to discuss about it (of course we also enjoy it, if you decide to discuss it here, it's a nice place and we're interested that people get facts in their heads instead of blind assertions, we're especially interested in a good information structure inside the world of Tarot):

http://geocities.com/autorbis/LTarot.html

Cerulean

I enjoy the discoveries...

By the way, I just discovered last night that Robin Payne wrote a book for her modern deck (Pagan Tarot 2000) starting from the premise that the Michelino da Besozzo trumps were some of the earliest examples. She notes the description that has been alluded to earlier of the 16 trumps, with four groups of four cards each. She lists the four groups of the Besozza tarot as Virtue, Riches, Virginity and Pleasure. Her list of the Besozza trumps include Jupiter, Apollo, Mercury, Hercules, Juno, Neptune, Mars, Aeolus, Diana, Vesta, Daphne, Venus, Bacchus, Ceres and Cupid. (I know-there's only 15 listed here). Cupid is the victor or conquering card, which aligns with examples from Dante, Petrach and later courtly poetry as Maria Matteo Boiardo's tarocchi poem.
The structures and information that you are listing for the Visconti and other historical cards seems to track closely with her examples. So I am judging her small book as a great find for me. Perhaps the new slants on historical decks
will inspire some to take a fresh look at other illuminated cards and codexes for related discoveries.
You're right, it's only now people are tracking backwards to refine the information.
Thanks for linking to topics under each thread.
Mari H.

P.S. I also felt an amazement to look at a fresh and private alterpiece from the school of Bonafaci Bembo at the Stanford University Museum with it's beautiful religious figures---but I suspect that it was heavily restored, the condition is too bright and colors too crisp.

jmd

It would be wonderful to have a short combined document which periodically revisits the state of historical play and various sources - without writing a whole book (a little along the lines of T. Little & al.'s TarotL Tarot History Information Sheet).

What I envision would include precisely not only an overview of the various influences playing at the time of Tarot's emergence, but some of the more interesting state of play considerations. As such, it would need to remain a fluid document, which would assist in ensuring a better organised overview of Tarot history.

Anyone up to the task? Please send me a PM or e.mail, and let's see what we can communally produce under ten pages...

By the way, I'm quite willing to pass on overall editorship to someone else, but let's get the ball rolling.

The document would circulate amongst those interested in participating, until everyone is happy with the product - at which stage it would be posted. The document would then continue circulate and be updated for re-posting every six months or so.

Cerulean

You mean post as a Q & A:

Using the above information as a sample:

Q: What might have been the earliest known record of allegorical trumps in Europe?

A: One of the earliest recorded set of 16 allegorical trumps painted Michelino da Besozzo for Filippo Maria Visconti is the same deck that Marziano da Tortona describes in a letter/journal.

Huck ____ wrote in an Aclectic.Net thread the following summary and four points (a few brief snips):

In 1989 the old-games-researcher Franco Pratesi published in the Playing Card Journal an article in both Italian and English, in which he told of his discovery, that both entries do refer to the same object. The first entry is a deck with the price of 1500 ducatos, (with pictures by artist) Michelino da Besozzo. It has an accompanying manuscript describing a deck (written) by Marziano da Tortona(.) The whole thing was thought out and commissioned by Filippo Maria Visconti.

1. The oldest deck (not really) but a fairly good description.

2. The oldest accompanying book, the first "Tarot book"

3. The oldest description, how the game was played

4. A letter with lots of interesting details and in it a passage, from which it becomes clear, that the term "ludus triumphorum" (= Trionfi) which was thought earlier to refer to common Tarot decks with 22 trumps or 21 trumps + Fool, in 1449 not necessarily was used to hint to decks with this structure.

For more information, please refer to the following:

jmd

I personally didn't have in mind a Q&A format, but only because I don't tend to warm to the format - the post you present, however, is precisely the kind of information I had in mind.

A kind of synopsis of the state of play of the historical work being carried out, including, for example, catboxer's background scene setting for those who are not privy to the historical setting of the times.

This is, of course, a wonderful start - I'll try to spend some time in the next few days to produce a draft to be circulated (I'll have to forgo tomorrow, as I'll be otherwise employed).

Thanks for the interest and getting the ball rolling, Mari_Hoshizaki.

catboxer

Huck:

You're right. The history of cards is terribly disorganized, but so are a lot of histories. In the case we're dealing with here, a lot of the problem has to do with the need to constantly fight battles on two fronts: not only does the historian deal with the problems implicit in history, but he or she must also simultaneously deal with issues brought into the mix by those who insist that tarot mythology be treated as history, which confuses and obscures the study.

People doing New Testament studies run up against the same sort of problems. If anything, the intensity of the conflicts generated by pseudo-historians, hotly insisting that Christian mythology be accepted as documented history in that arena, makes the similar conflicts attending the study of cards look like a picnic.

It's also true that Kaplan's Encyclopedias are terribly disorganized and hard to use. Sometimes information on a single topic is spread out haphazardly between two books, but I can't bring myself to complain about that. Just think of where we'd be without Kaplan! If he hadn't tracked down and published every known primary document relating to the subject we study, who would have done it? The answer, I think, is that nobody would have, and we would be completely unable to do the kind of research we're able to do today, thanks to him.

Part of the problem with the Encyclopedias is that they're arranged topically rather than chronologically. As the historian Jacques Barzun points out, history arranged by topic is really anti-historical, because extracting the topics from the flow of time cuts across the chronological sequence at right angles.

I think maybe what jmd has in mind is a simple chronology. The virtue of such a tool is that it's endlessly elastic and expandable.

Huck

Huck said:
Well ....

to give an example, and you'll see, that it is a scandal, a scandal of bad information structure inside the system. And the victim is you, as you simply don't get up-to-date-informations.

Stuart Kaplan produced in 1978 his Encyclopedia of Tarot, a good-selling book, which later created the base for the internet culture, in which history of Tarot was discussed in finest details by some enthusiasts of the theme "History of Tarot".

Inside Kaplan's book he made 2 short entries, of DECEMBRIO (9 lines) and ISABELLA DA LORRRAINE (6 lines), page 26, in which he gives some informations, one about Decembrio noting a 1500 ducatos deck made for Filippo Visconti and the other about a letter, which was received by Isabella da Lorraine, which contained some information about a deck with 16 gods.

In 1989 the old-games-researcher Franco Pratesi published in the Playing Card Journal an article, in which he told, that he simply revisited the original document and discovered, that both entries do refer to the same object, a deck with the price of 1500 ducatos, made by Michelino da Besozzo, with an accompanying manuscript describing the deck made by Marziano da Tortona and the whole thing was thought out and commissioned by Filippo Maria Visconti.

Franco Pratesi published half Italian, half-English. That made it difficult for English readers to understand the message.

When Internet started (1995/96)', the information of Pratesi wasn't around, the discussions, which often were about "origin of Tarot" went on and on without mentioning his discovery. Later Tarothermit made at his internet-page a relatively short note about it - it stayed more or less hidden, wasn't discussed really and - of course - wasn't understood in his meaning.

Well - it definitely is about the oldest Tarot deck known. One should assume, that there is an enormous interest in Tarot circles at such an object. It isn't. People simply don't realise, what's before their nose.

1. The oldest deck, not really, but a fairly good description.

2. the oldest accompanying book, the first "Tarot book"

3. the oldest description, how the game was played

Now we do write 2003, 25 years after Kaplan and 14 after Pratesi's discovery. The whole thing is still rather ignored and a lot of people are still fishing in the dark.

Especially the above mentioned point 4 clearly points out, that there is a deep error about that, what researchers do believe as the "original state of Tarot".

Compare:

and if you wish to discuss about it (of course we also enjoy it, if you decide to discuss it here, it's a nice place and we're interested that people get facts in their heads instead of blind assertions, we're especially interested in a good information structure inside the world of Tarot):

The post was written in July 2003, now more than 6 years ago and it was one of my first contributions, at least I would guess, it was the first important one (well, I don't know for sure, but it's more or less at the end of the list of my articles, perhaps later I'll detect an earlier).

The Tarot History Forum had then maybe 1200 articles and it existed only 2 groups in the History section, later it was changed to 5. The other existing group was the Tarot de Marseille Forum, which had a little more posts, if I remember correctly.
The "scandal" mentioned in the article had been meanwhile improved considerably, the "Michelino deck" (a term, which we invented, a common expression was then Besozzo deck, but that's the name of a city, so we called it Michelino to signify the painter) is now known at least in inner circles of the Tarot-World. The starting page of the section had last month 737 calls, and the navigation-file (only once during a session) noted 350, single text pages ranged about 140 till 10 (the article has about 30 of them) in a month. Considering this in the length of 6 years with 72 monthes a lot of people should have seen something of it, not counted other publications like for instance the contributions to this forum and Ross' translations published at the IPCS-organ ... at least those, who had some interest, were able to find it.

The 5x14-theory has also taken its way.

Trionfi.com has manifested as a major site for Tarot history in the web and it's not only the articles to Michelino deck and 5x14-theory which had opened new doors. In July 2003 we were still in the phase of our humble beginnings and still worked at our free geocities domain, which will be killed this month, cause yahoo will end this service.

So there was a progress ...

... well, not all things are perfect. Still there is opportunity to improve, but it's not our matter all alone.

Now I'm at about 1660 posts to the Forum, from which should have gone according rough estimation about 1500 (or ca. 90%) to this part of the forum, "Historical Research", so from 11220 of the moment about 1/7 is from me. And my posts were often very long and took many hours.

Well, time to collect the pearls.

[ Link removed by Moderator ]

PathWalker

I'm just beginning my study of Tarot history, and honestly haven't got my head around it all yet. But I believe your site, and you work (along with others) will be a great help. Thank you for bumping up this topic and adding the link :)
Pathwalker

Moonbow

Hi Pathworker, welcome to the History forums, I hope you learn a lot from the contributors here and participate too. This forum is one of the best places to learn about Tarot history and has a catalogue of topics to explore in the index.

Huck certainly contributes to the forum, but you will also find a multitude of discoveries and topics to read about by other members as well, some of whom are no longer able to contribute regularly. Hey ho, life and experiences get in the way of our love sometimes and restrict contributions. There are a few old hands that I would like to see back here when they are able. There are also some regular visitors who are generous in helping others, like Marco, Kwaw and Ross. Meanwhile, new people start to delve and contribute and that is also so exciting because some of the old hands stop and listen. That is what makes a community... the young and the old, the new and the experienced. Enjoy! :)

Rosanne

Moonbow* said:
Meanwhile, new people start to delve and contribute and that is also so exciting because some of the old hands stop and listen That is what makes a community... the young and the old, the new and the experienced. Enjoy! :)

Me I am a listener for the most part now.....I was reading my printout folder (hardcopy) of some of those most interesting threads and was astounded how long I have participated here, and how much I have learned, and the directions I have changed, forged, laughed at etc and apart from a few hiccups have enjoyed the ride. It is good to see new names and avatars and some refreshed and new ideas. I have learned a lot from Kwaw, Ross, Huck, jmd (whom I miss a great deal)Cerulean, Abrac, Le Pendu, Scion, ahhhh heavens the list is long....
I love to see the enthusiasm of Bernice and Marco and new names...I hope History Forum can rise again to the heights once again and keep the vibrancy going.
As you said Moonbow- ENJOY!!!!!
~Rosanne