Chrysalis tarot

Rhinemaiden

I don't own this deck. I considered it when I saw the art, but the more I looked at the sample cards and read commentary, the more it seemed to be different merely for the sake of being different and not bringing anything new or insightful to the tarot table.

Terrapin

Continuing on my musings through the Mayor Arcana of the Crysalis I am looking at Maat as VIII – Justice. The colours and the composition of the image make this one of my favourite Mayors in this deck :)
The Storyteller/ Hermit however, I am not so sure about. A female elder with a headdress of Birds and vegetation part of a third Bird draped over her forearms some kind of glowing ball of light in her hands??? She does not look at me and she is silent, occupied by something ethereal she sees. Not GOOD for a storyteller, who should be very present and engage his/ her audience. In all I feel, this card is a bit “over the top”, almost theatrical, over dramatic. Why is she the Hermit? A hermit to me is not a theatralic drama queen and also prefers simplicity and quiet to think and grow within him/herself.....
My stereotype anyway....
The Wheel I like!
It features a large wagon wheel created from wood that could be a part of the mighty Tree of Life, against which it is leaning. Today a tree, tomorrow a wheel – and/ or the wagon that it is mounted on , today a thriving plant, tomorrow killed by the AX and transformed into utelsils for human conveniences – or objects of beauty like maybe thewooden statue of the Celto-Romanic Goddess. The Tree's biggest danger, fire is – for now kept in the cauldron, but it is hungry and if the wheel turns it may topple the pot and ..............................................................................................................................

This is, how far I got - as of now.
I read almost all the posts on the deck creator's web site and each and every one of those is a well thought out well of information. So much so, that I feel, I am "talked over" and told, what to see, think and feel.
that is taking me aback. I also feel, that THAT is, why nobody says anything about this deck any more. After aaaaaaal these wordy post on the Crysalis web site who would dare to open up their mouth and say a single peep- unless it is of admiration and praise....
Well; I never can keep my mouth shut and - so the next Thunderstorm is probably already brewing in the sky.....
So before the deck gets swept out of my hands by the next sin flood, I quickly mention, that I an still wondering about the choice of portraying so many Mayors as teen aged kids, the imbalance of male to female in the images that I continue to perceive, as well as the rather odd choices of characters to portray some of the Mayors - all these points together have resulted in me leaving the deck laying on my writing table, searching for words to describe my feelings - and then putting it all off and away, feeling that - again I am the only loneley one, who is nattering into her none-existent beard.....

...............................................................................................................................
Now, after having read all your posts, I am soooo relieved!
Le Fanu and feynrir , especially your posts I do agree completely with and you touched on nuances I so far had only sensed, but found no words for.
Thank you!

Fantastic post Mi-Shell. I had posted earlier that I didn't have much of a problem (ie, I could stretch) with the Fool and the Hierophant in this deck, but yeah I can't rationalize the Storyteller as the Hermit. Even the info that talks about the card on the app doesn't mention story telling only quiet contemplation and introspection. I will have to stretch these tarot muscles a bit more!

Thoughtful

it seemed to be different merely for the sake of being different and not bringing anything new or insightful to the tarot table.

Exactly this for me, once l had had time to contemplate and read all the replies l agree with you that it does not bring anything new as regards a tarot deck. l cannot see it as a tarot at all, as l mentioned before its more suitable as an Oracle deck. l am looking for a Tarot and at first thought this could be workable and readable, but alas no. Would definitely recommend it for Oracle working for reasons people have already mentioned, could be quite insightful in that context.

Citrin

It looks really nice but after watching Christiana Gaudet's review of it I just can't get over some of the choices for representing some of the majors. I mean Merlin as The Fool?! Seriously?! Ugh. Just seems nonchalant to me to get it so... Wrong.

Mi-Shell

Fantastic post Mi-Shell. I had posted earlier that I didn't have much of a problem (ie, I could stretch) with the Fool and the Hierophant in this deck, but yeah I can't rationalize the Storyteller as the Hermit. Even the info that talks about the card on the app doesn't mention story telling only quiet contemplation and introspection. I will have to stretch these tarot muscles a bit more!
Yes,exactly!
Stretching our Tarot muscles is always good and leads to growth and a deeper practice.
I learn about myself, when taking apart the cards I have a "problem" with. They are my teachers. The ones I just love and accept are not teaching me much. But then it comes to reading. Iffff I fumble / stumble around , like I do with this deck - on small readings for myself, then this is NOT a deck that I will take out, when I set up my Tarot reading table on the market on Wednesday. In readings for others I need cards that have a voice that I can understand and not just pretty "girly girl" pictures.
My next experiment with this deck will be to FORGET everything Tarot and loooooook upon this deck as an Oracle -
- thanks to Thoughtful and all you guys!♥

Rosewater

I too use the Chrysalis as an oracle deck, and as such it works for me. I bought it for the artwork, which I still enjoy, but soon realized that to get any appreciation out of this deck I would have to throw out all traditional RWS meanings and associations. I find the LWB rather sketchy and confusing, too full of New Age platitudes. Much more informative are Toney Brooks' posts on his Chrysalis tarot blog, where he explains how he chose the imagery for this deck. I believe a more comprehensive book is due to come out soon.

swedishfish612

I have this one but haven't worked with it yet. Every time I pull it out and look through the cards, I have 2 thoughts- 1. "Wow, this is pretty!" and 2. "Man, this seems like a lot of work..."

Typically I enjoy decks that have a twist on traditional RWS meanings. I can handle renamed majors, courts, or even suits. But all of that in one deck is lot for me. It feels like learning a whole new system, and I already like the system I already know.

I'm sure I will eventually choose it as DoTW and then it will either intrigue me and I'll learn the system or I'll trade it on.

Mi-Shell

I have this one but haven't worked with it yet. Every time I pull it out and look through the cards, I have 2 thoughts- 1. "Wow, this is pretty!" and 2. "Man, this seems like a lot of work..."

Typically I enjoy decks that have a twist on traditional RWS meanings. I can handle renamed majors, courts, or even suits. But all of that in one deck is lot for me. It feels like learning a whole new system, and I already like the system I already know.

I'm sure I will eventually choose it as DoTW and then it will either intrigue me and I'll learn the system or I'll trade it on.
Well, I fear, you will have to come over to us, into the Deck of the Month group, in order to make head or tails out of this one! ;)

swedishfish612

Well, I fear, you will have to come over to us, into the Deck of the Month group, in order to make head or tails out of this one! ;)

I keep meaning to do that, anyway, with a deck that I love! But a month is a long time with one deck for me these days! lol

Mi-Shell

Questions questions questions...
...that I have about this deck:
The 5 of Mirrors: I is supposed to be the Bodhisattva Quan Yin? But the female looks like a brunette Byzantine woman! Why is she not shown as the Asian Spirit Being Quan Yin is? Black hair and slanted eyes......?
Besides: This image looks like a Mayor Arcana card

What actually IS the golden Flower?
OK; I am not much for “the Angle of Temperance”, but this card looks like the Sun – or the Wheel of Fortune card with the Fish !?? and Butterflies and sugar pots surrounding it.

The Sun is supposed to be male. Good, but then, PLEASE ALSO DRAW IT AS DISCERNIBLE MALE! This sun is wearing a frilly headdress that reminds me of the headdress a good friend of us wore to this year's Pride parade!?

The Ace of Mirrors: WHY are there burning candles in this under Water scene?
Ace of Water is not Water of Fire – or is it in this deck?

Ariadne being Death? Why??? After all she made it back out of the subterranean maze.
To me this choice is one of the “softened up” girly girl cards.

The Celtic Owl would have been a better choice for Death. For the Celts the Owl was an portent of death and a dark omen. Then there are many stories of the “Woman made of Flowers” who was given to Llew llaw Gyffes as a wife, but proved unfaithful and murderous and so was banished and turned into an Owl. Why is this one the choice for the Hanged Man?

Why is there such a wide inconsistency in the overall art in the deck?
For example:
Set up the 5 of Stones – realistic vibrant
the 6 of stones – static abstract
and the 7 of stones – realistic vibrant

Oh, I could go in here... But today is June 28th and tomorrow evening my month with this deck comes to an end and I will put this deck back into its box and into the “no use” box in the basement.
The Only one sad about that is the crying Fox on the 3 of Scrolls, who had hoped, that I would paint a few of the grasses surrounding him green and not leave him behind all in garish purple