2 Wands vs 2 Swords

elena_jaymz

Hi guys, I was wondering about the difference between the 2 Wands and the 2 Swords.

The 2 Wands is about a choice, a decision you're going to take, but that you're still unsure about. I see this card as a very "what if I do, what if I don't" card. However wands are fast, so you'll made your choice soon.

For what concerns the 2 Swords it seems similar to the 2 Wands, the two options are shown by the swords the lady is carrying, but she's blindfolded, so probably she doesn't want to make the decision now.

However I think there's more here, can you help me?
Thanks.

Samweiss

I see 2 of Swords as the mind in the state of making a decision, weighing both options as accurately or objectively as possible. Sometimes this can lead to indecision, though. So the action isn't always carried.

I don't see 2 of Wands as choice, but more like inspiration, something that initiates the action. We may not always be conscious of its effect when we make our decisions. We can make all the decisions we think are right and get all the riches in the world, but still end up being feeling like something's still missing. Like Waite writes about this card in Pictorial Key to the Tarot "the sadness of Alexander amidst the grandeur of this world's wealth".

That's how I see these cards.

Laurelle

They both can be about choices, but the man in the wands has a much better view of the situation. He's not blindfolded.

The woman in the swords has to make a decision that she's not comfortable with. She actually doesn't want to make it. She has to rely on her intuition because she can't see anything.

elena_jaymz

I see 2 of Swords as the mind in the state of making a decision, weighing both options as accurately or objectively as possible. Sometimes this can lead to indecision, though. So the action isn't always carried.

I don't see 2 of Wands as decision, but more like inspiration, something that initiates the action. We may not always be conscious of its effect when we make our decisions. We can make all the decisions we think are right and get all the riches in the world, but still end up being feeling like something's still missing. Like Waite writes about this card in Pictorial Key to the Tarot "the sadness of Alexander amidst the grandeur of this world's wealth".

That's how I see these cards.

Thank you Samweiss.
Yes, Swords are all about the mind, thoughts etc. so yes, the 2 Swords decision making process can lead to doubts.
For what concerns the Wands, yes, they're bound to passion, inspiration and instinct, so what the man in the 2 Wands is wondering about is related to how he feels like.

elena_jaymz

They both can be about choices, but the man in the wands has a much better view of the situation. He's not blindfolded.

The woman in the swords has to make a decision that she's not comfortable with. She actually doesn't want to make it. She has to rely on her intuition because she can't see anything.

Thank you Laurelle, I agree, the 2 Swords lady sees nothing, just because she doesn't want to. The 2 Wands man, instead, sees what's happening around him, he's willing to.

So, what's better? Not to see, because you don't want to or able to see, but anyway still not making the choice?

Laurelle

Thank you Laurelle, I agree, the 2 Swords lady sees nothing, just because she doesn't want to. The 2 Wands man, instead, sees what's happening around him, he's willing to.

So, what's better? Not to see, because you don't want to or able to see, but anyway still not making the choice?

Depending on the cards the lady in the 2 of Swords will make a decision. She can't keep holding those swords. At some point she will have to drop them.

But I get the impression her decision (2 of S is Moon in Libra) will be more based on intuition (blindfold, moon, water behind her).

I've also gotten this card numerous times to indicate a man or woman who "doesn't want to be in a relationship with someone they actually want to be in a relationship with, but won't admit to it." Eventually, a solution will be met.

I just think the guy in the 2 of Wands has more of an advantage. He's viewing his kingdom and all the land he will want to conquer. So his decision comes much faster. It's also Mars in Aries. I see Aries as more a card of action. I see the man in the 2 of Wands as planning, preparing and making decisions based on a series of calculated goals.

ana luisa

In my readings, I often see these two cards as decision cards as well but the 2 of Swords would represent fear to decide/avoiding a decision and 2 of Wands, need for/looking for a decision.

elena_jaymz

Depending on the cards the lady in the 2 of Swords will make a decision. She can't keep holding those swords. At some point she will have to drop them.

But I get the impression her decision (2 of S is Moon in Libra) will be more based on intuition (blindfold, moon, water behind her).

I've also gotten this card numerous times to indicate a man or woman who "doesn't want to be in a relationship with someone they actually want to be in a relationship with, but won't admit to it." Eventually, a solution will be met.
I agree, intuition is the key here (the lady reminds me of The High Priestess, they're both a 2-card indeed) and yes, sooner or later she'll put down the swords.
It makes sense the situation you described too, wanting a guy, but at the same time not wanting to stay with him :D so a comprise is needed.

I just think the guy in the 2 of Wands has more of an advantage. He's viewing his kingdom and all the land he will want to conquer. So his decision comes much faster. It's also Mars in Aries. I see Aries as more a card of action. I see the man in the 2 of Wands as planning, preparing and making decisions based on a series of calculated goals.
I see what you mean and agree, thanks again!

elena_jaymz

In my readings, I often see these two cards as decision cards as well but the 2 of Swords would represent fear to decide/avoiding a decision and 2 of Wands, need for/looking for a decision.

Hi ana luisa, thanks :)
Oh yes, in the 2 Swords fear is implied, that's why the lady hasn't made her decision yet I'd say, while the 2 Wands guy is looking for the best solution for him, he's not afraid.

Mittkait

They are both about choices but with a pointed difference.

Two of Swords is a mental choice about a thing, person or plan.

Two of Wands the mental choice has already been made, this card is about a choice between two actions, two modes of carrying out a plan.