New Orleans Voodoo Tarot - Earth, 7 (Oshun)

Little Baron

Thanks Embla

Your posts are really helping me to look at it all in a different way.

How do you use these feelings and intuitive responses to your deck? Do you read it for divination?

LB

Embla

Hi LB. Reading with this deck is like going to church for me. It is a ritual, and a different form of divination than I apply to regular tarot. I use it mostly when I need spiritual guidance.

If I have a mundane question, or a question involving my everyday life, I don´t use this deck. Instead I consult this deck when I am experiencing something of greater, all-encompassing spiritual importance, facing decisions with life-changing potential or similar. If the minor arcana in traditional tarot depicts everyday challenges, and the major arcana describes events of greater importance, then this deck to me is the grandmother arcana, the ancestor arcana, of even greater spiritual importance, if that is at all possible, than the major arcana. And those lessons, that perspective on things, can sometimes be very tricky to interpret for yourself. You can´t always grasp the meaning intellectually. Most of the time you need to process the interpretation in a very practical manner. Let me explain.

I am very practical about the Orisha´s advice. I connect a lot of what I see in the imagery of the cards, and my knowledge of the orisha/lwa, to experiences I have had in my life, stories I have been told about the Orishas, and the natural elements. For instance, Yemaya is connected to the ocean, and if I draw Yemaya I always take the time to visit a lake, or the sea or any other type of water, and most of the time that will produce a calming effect or I will think a clear thought there while I am sitting by the sea, or find something that takes me further in the direction I need to go. If I draw Oshun I see to it to dance, or take care of my body, serve myself a great meal. And it always turns out that when I am engaging in the type of activity that I have intuitively interpreted as my challenge, then something happens with me, I am transcended in some little way, and all of a sudden I myself know what the card meant, what it is that I need to do. Such is my practical church-activity with the orishas.

Connecting with the Orishas is about forming a relationship with them, and as with any relationship they expect you to be active too, and to give something back to them. They will never sermon or preach, or let you sit there like a quiet pupil taking notes... But they will give you the best and the simplest of advice if you are willing to take it and do the work.

As I see it this deck is transcendental, does that make sense? You don´t just pick it up and put it away, pick up and put it away again... Once the doorway is opened it is opened until you decide to ritually close it or withdraw. I believe your learning-experience with this deck transcends the boundaries of divination and everyday life, so be attentive to the presence of the Orishas in your everyday life, as they are often trying to communicate in many different ways when they have chosen to be interested in someone. And they sure seem to be interested in you!

blessings

embla

Little Baron

New Orleans Voodoo - OSHUN [7 of Earth/Santeria]

"Her cooling waters heal
the mother of mothers
she removes infertility.
That which was barren will
swell from her waters.
That which was poor can become
wealthy.
Merriment divined for wealth,
who was told that
the whole world would always be
in search of her.
She was asked to sacrifice
anything edible, which she did.
As a result, the whole world is
happy to be in search of her.

- OSE MEJI"

From 'The Way of the Orisha - Empowering Your Life Through the Ancient African Religion of Ifa' by Philip John Neimark.

In looking at the sevens of the 'New Orleans Voodoo Tarot', I thought it might be useful to back-up read on one of them, this evening. Oshun seemed a pleasant orisha to spend a little extra time with tonight.

In the New Orleans Tarot, she represents emotions. But her emotions are grounded within the earth. Her emotions connect physically, rather than through mind or fiery passion, as with other lwa that we are studying right now. You might say that he love is more practical or realistic than the others, who may tend to be irrational at times.

One story gives us a taste of Oshun's power - in it, we are told of a place called Oshogbo and how it was founded.

People, orginally, lived in another nearby place called Ibokun. But due to some kind of political dispute, they were forced to flee to another place - a town called Ipole. For some reason, the abundant springs of Ipole diverted, going underground and creating a serious drought. Owate, the previous town's crown prince and priest consulted Ifa, who told him that greatness would be achieved by his decendants if they could find the river that represented all living waters, including the now dry springs at Ipole.
It was during this second pilgrimage that they discovered the river Orisha Oshun. Understanding that the river waters could provide them with security for their community, they decided to build their new town on it's banks.

In doing this, the peaceful waters of the river grew stormy and violent. Oshun herself rose from them and informed the newcomers that the banks of the river were sacred to her. She told them to build their city on the hills above the river. If they kept her banks and shores sacred, she would protect them and guard their city. And on the hills is where the town of Oshogbo was founded.

This little story adds a slight twist to our card. We know that she protects and is practically minded, but until now, we have not seen that protection to be violent or threatening. I suppose that all four 'spirits' in the seven's are capable of turning their emotions to a darker place if feeling threatened, and here, we see her in both guises.
It is interesting to note, in the book quoted above, that the author reminds us that Oshogbo is almost alone in towns that have never been conquered. In the Fulani jihad that wiped out many of the traditional villages, Oshun appeared in the shape of a camp follower, dressed only in natural charms and presented the soldiers with a meal. The dish was highly laxitive in effect and weakened the soldiers, making them halt their progress.

Oshun is a card of sensuality, I feel. Emotions displayed by the body and it's sharing. This could be in sex. But it could also be in feeding the body with food or things that are good for it. She might be likened to the full-bodies of classical nudes, for example. Shapely and healthy.

Just to start the discussion ....

Will post some more later.

LB

Grip Dellabonte

These four loa do indeed have their more aggressive moments.
But I see in Oshun that it is still her protectiveness that comes out (so far!) in the story more than a need for self-service (like when a siren lures a sailor for her own ends).
In the first part of the story Oshun is standing up for herself and protecting her sacred (Ha! I wrote "scared" at first!) riverbanks. In the second part of the story she is protecting the people being threatened by the oncoming soldiers.
Nice addition to the studies, by the way, LB!

Little Baron

I am glad you like, Grip. There is more to the chapter about Oshun, which I will add, further along. From my memory of research before, there are often conflicting views of what colours, days and offerings is recommended. There may be differnces between Haitian Vodou and that which is practiced in New Orleans.

LB

afrosaxon

7 Santeria -- Oshun [7 of Pentacles]

Oshun, orisha of love, sits with a fan in front of her face. Only her eyes show, and her gaze is very direct. Behind her are pink-tinted mirror. She wears a dress, pearls, gloves. A peacock (sacred to Oshun) is at her feet.

The pink-tinted mirrors indicate illusion, “rose-colored glasses”. However, this mirror is mostly blocked by Oshun, and she has her back to it  a deliberate view of reality instead of what we want to see, but still tinged with some semblance of dreams/romance.

There is orange and yellow (fire) to either side of Oshun; these are her sacred colors.

I interpret this card to mean true love vs. romantic love. True love is patient (which is in line with the traditional meaning of 7 Pents as “patience”). Romantic love is not patient.

Oshun also is indicative of fertility. She is the little sister of Yemaya, the mother of Oya, grandmother of Eleggua, and wife of Shango.