Steampunk Tarot

Nina*

I'll try and do some photos this morning. I'll just go and charge up my camera!

Eta: Any card requests?

8 of Cups, 9 of Swords, High Priestess, Moon

Please! :)

Essjay

Okay here are four for Nina and some of my favourites too :D

I don't think my poor photos really do the deck justice - the colours are far richer than they look here. I think that 10 of cups is fascinating. It's domestic bliss but they all look quite sudued while that woman in the foreground is holding her own card. It looks like a TdM ten of pents to me?

The book really is fascinating. For this card it says at the end of the chapter: -

The gypsy fortuneteller in the foreground flips the final card: The ten of diamonds, the poker deck's equivalent to the Ten of Pentacles. All the potential that was given to these people in the Ace of Pentacles has been fully realized. This moment is perfect and beautiful, and if this were a movie, we'd all be crying.

The shadowy secret of this card is that tens are endings. The promise of abundance has culminated here. Once it has been played, another card must be dealty, for life is a cycle, and nothing remains the same.

Eta: Three of the swords on the four of swords are held up by a mechanism which is attached to an hourglass. And there are tarot cards fluttering around the skirts of the girl in the ten of wands. My photos really are quite poor, lol.

Attachments

• Steampunk4.jpg
    Steampunk4.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 188
  • Steampunk1.jpg
    Steampunk1.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 172
  • Steampunk2.jpg
    Steampunk2.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 173
  • Steampunk3.jpg
    Steampunk3.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 184

blackrainbow

They look really good. I'm hoping mine get here today.

Le Fanu

Those photos are great Essjay, the quality's fine to get a sense of the cards. Weirdly, this deck is really difficult to get to see pics of online. Even the site is really limited about which cards they show, so I'd been curious to see more.

Not really impressed but I wouldn't be surprised if (knowing myself) I get it anyway. I'm surprised that a deck - designed by a woman - should insist on these hour-glass figures again. All the girls look - well - girlied and prettied up which kind of spoils the deck for me. I can't take these touches seriously. Why does Death have to be busty and with waist so pulled in? Is it supposed to mean something? I suppose; Steampunk = corsets.

The girliness spoils it for me. Shame as yesterday I saw the 4 of Swords on a blog and loved it but I see it's the best one. Often it's "mechanism" for the sake of it it. Like searchlights on the moon. Why? Some cards work, but there's an overwhelming feel of girliness. However, I've heard the borders are small which is a big plus.

Essjay

Oh no Le Fanu, you don't like it :(

You're right though that there are men of all ages throughout and the girls are all young. There's no getting away from that - it is what it is. I suppose that, as the book says, that Steampunk is "retrotech" so with the spotlights on the moon you could say why anything? Isn't all progress, progress for its own sake?

I'm very biased though, I'm a big lover of Steampunk full stop so I delight in the costume element of these cards. The book is rather wonderful although I know I've said that before. I didn't find it particularly girly but then, having said that, I'm a fan of Crystal Visions!

Cassandra022

thanks for posting pictures. it looks pretty interesting. some cards i really like some less so...love the atmosphere and the steampunkish detail though i do kind of agree about all the perfect people/ladies making it a wee bit less appealing. Def on my wishlist but I might hold off a while before actually getting...

Morwenna

The more I see of this deck the more I like it. Must think about this.

As for corsets, it's a neo-Victorian thing. I go to SF cons where corsets are very popular, and have been for awhile. Seems both the goth and steampunk subcultures have been big on corsets! :) Well, both are neo-Victorian in inspiration.

Nina*

Okay here are four for Nina and some of my favourites too :D

I don't think my poor photos really do the deck justice - the colours are far richer than they look here. I think that 10 of cups is fascinating. It's domestic bliss but they all look quite sudued while that woman in the foreground is holding her own card. It looks like a TdM ten of pents to me?

The book really is fascinating. For this card it says at the end of the chapter: -

The gypsy fortuneteller in the foreground flips the final card: The ten of diamonds, the poker deck's equivalent to the Ten of Pentacles. All the potential that was given to these people in the Ace of Pentacles has been fully realized. This moment is perfect and beautiful, and if this were a movie, we'd all be crying.

The shadowy secret of this card is that tens are endings. The promise of abundance has culminated here. Once it has been played, another card must be dealty, for life is a cycle, and nothing remains the same.

Eta: Three of the swords on the four of swords are held up by a mechanism which is attached to an hourglass. And there are tarot cards fluttering around the skirts of the girl in the ten of wands. My photos really are quite poor, lol.

Thank you SO much, Essjay! :heart:

I really (!!) like it. Have to wait until payday unfortunately.

Asbestos Mango

No, the pics are just making me feel teased. I have mine on pre-order from Amazon, and unlike some people around here, they're not shipping mine early, so I have to wait until May to get mine.

Wah.