Study Group Post 1- Houses (general information)

214red

Hi All

This is the first post of the new study group!

Mindwiz has already given you a lot of information about the houses here http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=126424&page=3

Here is a general list of the houses and some generic key words, this should give us enough for a bit of a discussion (angles etc we will go into at a later date):

1st -Aries
House of self
Physical appearance, traits and characteristics. First impressions. General outlook into the world. Ego. Beginnings and initiatives.

2nd- Taurus
House of Values
Material and immaterial things of certain value. Money. Belongings, property, acquisitions. Cultivation and growth. Substance. Self-Worth

3rd- Gemini
House of Siblings
Lower education and childhood environment. Mental facilities. Siblings. Neighborhood matters. Short, local travel and transportations, communication

4th –Cancer
House of Home and Family, Father
Ancestry, heritage, roots. Early foundation and environment. The caretaker of the household. Now there is controversy about which parent this house relates to, I found most often its written as father

5th-Leo
House of Pleasure
Recreational and leisure activities. Things which makes for enjoyment and entertainment. Games and gambling. Children. Love, Creative self-expression, romance, hobbies

6th- Virgo
House of Health & Servitude
Routine tasks and duties. Skills or training acquired. Jobs and Employments. Health and overall well-being. Service performed for others. Caretaking. Pets and small domestic animals.

7th- Libra
House of Partnerships
.Marriage and business partners (legal partnerships). Agreements and treaties. Matters dealing with diplomatic relations of all kinds, including open (known) enemies. Attraction to qualities we admire from the other partner.

8th- Scorpio
House of Death and Sex
Cycles of Deaths And Rebirth. Sexual relationships and deeply committed relationships of all kinds. Joint funds, finances. Other person's resource. Occult, psychic and taboo matters. Regeneration. Self-transformation.

9th- Sagittarius
House of Philosophy
Large animals, Foreign travel and foreign countries. Culture. Long distance travels and journeys. Religion. Law and ethics. Higher education. Knowledge. Experience through expansion.

10th- Capricorn
House of Social Status & Mother
Ambitions. Motivations. Career. Status in society. Government. Authority. Father or father figure. The breadwinner of the household. One's public appearance/impression at large(audience).Boundaries, restrictions

11th- Aquarius
House of Friendships and groups
Friends and acquaintances of like-minded attitudes. Groups, clubs and societies. Higher associations.

12th –Pisces
House of the hidden or Self – Undoing
Mysticism. Places of seclusion such as hospitals, prisons and institutions, including self-imposed imprisonments. Things which are not apparent to self, yet clearly seen by others. Elusive, clandestine, secretive or unbeknownst matters. Retreat, reflection and self-sacrifice. Unconscious/subconscious. Unknown enemies. Prisons, mental institutions, Psychic ability, Karma,

So here is where we expand and start the discussion:
- What do we agree with, what don’t we agree with?
-What’s missing from list?
-What confuses us about the houses?
-Do you have a something you need to know what house it falls into?

This is a basic list, to allow us to expand on it

Nik

214red

Now i thought i would start with a few questions i had to start the ball rolling:

1)Now there is a lot of controversy about houses 10 and 4, which relates to father and which relates to father , who do you believe it relates to?

2) Can you understand why marriage is in the 7th house, but love is in the 5th house? now i understand this because it was explained to me that love and romance are in 5th house because its really all about fun, however marriage is a legal contract, although parts of it are fun, its really a bit more serious then the 5th house. romance is not about the everyday things, its not about sorting out finances, or washing up,its about picnics in the park, romantic dinners etc. this helped me understand why they are seperate, also through history marriages were not always for love, usually it was more of a business proposition, links between families, love didnt come into it at first, it was more arranged.

who is next...

Minderwiz

Thanks for the intro Nik,

I'll just confine myself to some brief observations, so that others still have plenty of meat to get their teeth into - I'll respond to questions, IF no one seems to know the answer, though I think it's best if members do some hunting on the internet or in books first, before I do that.

First brief comment - the sign house associations given have been there for a very long time, you will find them in Lilly's book. However can folks bear in mind that association here is fairly loose, more a mind jogger than the much stronger view Aries = First House. There are some occasious where Sign DOES equal House, mainly in medical Astrology.

Second comment - the fourth House. Everyone agrees the fourth is the parents and family. The issue comes when we need to separate out. Siblings are third, children fifth but Father or Mother causes modern students some confusion. When Sasportas wrote his book the dominant view of psychologists was Mother is the fourth, because Cancer is the fourth sign and also Mothers are homemakers (very sexist). However Sasportas was well aware that Liz Greene had recently discovered traditional sources and had come to the view tha fourth was father. So perhaps some thought should be given to why Traditionally it was the father, when the more modern view associates Cancer = fourth = mother.

Seventh house - you raise a very good issue and I've come across many views on this from leading professionals. It's not even a traditional v modern distinction. Lee Lehman and John Frawley take different positions on this. Frawley would argue that ANY partnership is seventh, so boyfriend/girlfriend is seventh though romance as an area of life is fifth. Lehman would argue that boyfriend/girlfriend is fifth wheres marriage is seventh. So how would you make the distinction?

214red

Thanks Minderwiz,i want to make sure we dont use you to answer things we could ourselves, your input is always appriciated.

yes in my last session this was explained that houses were assigned sometimes other planets in the past, hence why they have some weird associations that dont make sense (when i get my laptop back i will be able to upload some files). i will also adjust the topic header when we get all comments back

For my chart the 4th =Father, however i am interested on others thoughts as i have read alot but comments are always more interesting.what do people think?

7th house- my personal distinction is commitment, if you are going out with someone then its 5th house, when you bring some element of commitment in shared property etc then its 7th house. so if you move in with someone, renting or buying that to me is 7th house, or if you have a child together (although not sure why you wouldnt already be living together), or if you own a business together. if you just dating then i do think its 5th house even changing your facebook status is not a commitment indicator lol!

le.jour.obscurcit

I personally think the 4th house is related to the mother figure, not the father.

214red

le.jour.obscurcit said:
I personally think the 4th house is related to the mother figure, not the father.
any particular reasoning behind that?

le.jour.obscurcit

214red said:
any particular reasoning behind that?
Just my personal view that's all. Regardless of what I'll say, it will be perceived as sexist.

214red

le.jour.obscurcit said:
Just my personal view that's all. Regardless of what I'll say, it will be perceived as sexist.

this is an open forum, its hard to understand why you see it as mother and dont give an opinion...we dont bite!!

le.jour.obscurcit

214red said:
this is an open forum, its hard to understand why you see it as mother and dont give an opinion...we dont bite!!

Like I said, it's personal moreso than anything. However I do think that the emotional and motherly traits of Cancer - that is in a certain respect synonymous with the 4th house - is representative of the Mother Figure, however this may be perceived as a fairly conservative point of view. The "Archetypal" figure I suppose.

Minderwiz

I'd just echo Nik's point above:

Please post your opinion with reasons, That ensures that you've done some Astrological study for the study group LOL.

Also don't be afraid to ask questions - and if someone does, try and see how you, yourself would answer it.

But most of all, Don't be afraid to 'be wrong' This is a learning thread and most people are intrested because of their low level of knowledge. Asking questions, giving opinions and listening to others is a major way of learning.