Solar return chart ?

RohanMenon

Yes this procedure is correct *if*

you want to create a precession corrected Solar Return in the Tropical zodiac.

This procedure essentially uses a Sidereal Zodiac to find the exact time of return (as against using the more common Tropical Zodiac), then casts a tropical chart for that (Sidereal Zodiac return) time, so in essence, mixing and matching two distinct systems. Which is fine if you know what you are doing.

In detail, you
(1) change the zodiac used to Fagan Bradley (which is a Sidereal Zodiac)
(2) Find the time that the Sun returns to the exact point it occupied in your natal chart in *this* zodiac. This should be on or near your birthday give or take a day maximum.
(3) Note the time. (you don't interpret this sidereal zodiac chart at this point at all. you only want the time)
(4) Then switch zodiac back to tropical.
(5) Create a chart for the noted time *and location you occupy at that point of time*, not where you are now. So if you plan to be in New York at this time, the Solar Return chart uses New York and not your natal location)

(6) Interpret this chart as your Solar Return chart for that year.

I don't know if the step by step instructions for astro.com are correct, - I use Solar Fire - but this is the essence of what is happening.

In my opinion, as said above, this mixing and matching of concepts from two distinct systems should be avoided by beginners, but it is ok if you know what you are doing.

That said, no harm in casting this chart and seeing if it is accurate for you. If it works great, you can worry about internal details later.

PS: I am a beginner too, and I use one zodiac (Fagan Bradley, the sidereal zodiac used above to find the time of the return) consistently and don't mix and match. Someone more expert than me can probably give you better advice. So take all the above with a pinch of salt.

Sharla

And when i'm doing the date, if my birthdays 25th oct.....do i type in 25th oct 2016....or is it 2017 ?..as its for the coming year.

RohanMenon

From the page you referenced

"3. Enter your birth details to create a natal chart

4. Under the first drop down menu, choose the solar return option"

so if you are following instructions, when you get to step 3, enter your natal data. If you follow the instructions as written on the site you linked, you should be fine.

If you can't make it work, send me your birth time, and place, and also where you expect to be on your birthday in 2017, and I'll use Solar Fire to calculate the next precessed Solar Return for you and send you the exact moment for which you should cast a chart. (or maybe upload the chart somewhere and give you a link)

(it will take a day or so because right now it is late at night here and I'm about to go sleep.and I have a busy day tomorrow)

To repeat, if you just follow the instructions on the site you sent, you should get the precessed Solar Return. If you need it faster, maybe someone who is awake right now and reading this can do the calculation for you on their software.

Let me know if you want me to do this.

Cheers and good night.

Sharla

"3. Enter your birth details to create a natal chart

4. Under the first drop down menu, choose the solar return option"

so if you are following instructions, when you get to step 3, enter your natal data. If you follow the instructions as written on the site you linked, you should be fine.

If you can't make it work, send me your birth time, and place, and also where you expect to be on your birthday in 2017, and I'll use Solar Fire to calculate the next precessed Solar Return for you and send you the exact moment for which you should cast a chart. (or maybe upload the chart somewhere and give you a link)

(it will take a day or so because right now it is late at night here and I'm about to go sleep.and I have a busy day tomorrow)

To repeat, if you just follow the instructions on the site you sent, you should get the precessed Solar Return. If you need it faster, maybe someone who is awake right now and reading this can do the calculation for you on their software.

Let me know if you want me to do this.

Cheers and good night.

Thanks for the offer Rohan, i have just followed the steps on the link and im presuming i have the correct chart. I'm not combining it with the natal chart as of yet....i want to get a feel for the SR first.