L & P Marseille Tarot Deck

La Force

I would like know some info on this deck, does anyone else have it. I am fortunate to have the book that comes with the deck, the only problem is that the deck itself maybe a facsmile and the colors are somewhat different. It is base off the 1760 Conver deck.

book Tarot card - by Jane lyle

the more info, the merrier I'll be.

La Force

La Force

Thanks gregory

Yes that is the deck, I am reading the thread/links you posted, I feel in love with the deck, the book is too RWS to go with the deck. I hoping to find in the thread that it may be a facsmile, however there something odd about the colors so maybe it will be mentioned about it the thread/links.

I found this at a bargain, I was after the deck not the book. lol the book and deck cost me a whole 99 cents.

La Force

ETA: Wow...I found one of my answers maybe two. I'm stoked, another great bargain

The following is old information but I thought I'd mention it for those who may not be aware of it.

The Camoin Bicentennial deck [not to be confused with the Camoin-Jodorowsky deck] was a deck published in 1960 by House of Camoin. It was printed using the original 1760 Nicolas Conver TdM woodplates. The colour scheme used for the 1960 printing was the colour scheme used in 1880. I understand that the earliest colour scheme is that in the Héron edition's specimen and that the Lo Scarabeo edition's specimen has a colour scheme employed after 1760 but before 1880.

The Thunder Bay Press edition is a photoreproduction of the Camoin Bicentennial, and is thus a deck worth looking at.

searching for more.

La Force

ETA #2:

Here is some info on the colors I found in the thread, how ever it is somewhat vague, where would I find more info about the colors?

Well, per Rusty (whose encyclopedic knowledge I trust!) it's photoreproduction of the Camoin Bicentennial reprint of the Conver, but it uses a later color scheme, which I read very recently on the camoin.com website isn't accurate (1880 colors) with the original. I do find it aesthetically pleasing, but for a new-looking deck with closer-to-original colors, the 1998 Camoin/Jodo deck is more what the 1760 Conver had goin' on. So the line drawings are original Conver, but the colors are what the same company was using in 1880.

The Bicentennial coloring basically follows the Grimaud not the original Conver.

If the Bicentennial doesn't follow the original Conver colors, then maybe Thunder Bay is a viable option.

ETA #3:

I took a look at the card scans at Mark Filipas' review of the Lyle deck and also checked out my Marteau/Grimaud images. It looks like the Lyle deck is a photoreproduction of the Camoin Bicentennial but that Lyle has altered the colours. Based on the cards shown in the Filipas review and at Filipas' comparison page, the cards of the Lyle deck have colouring similar overall to the Marteau/Grimaud deck's colouring yet with differences in details. For example, in the case of the World card's human figure in the top, left hand corner of the card, the figure has a red and blue vestment in the Lyle deck while the figure has a white and blue vestment in the Marteau/Grimaud deck.

Hi Rusty,
In my opinion, Thunder Bay Press did not alter any of the colors in spite of slight differences between it and the Bicentennial (such as in the blue of the 2 of Coins ribbon and in the pink of the Moon's dogs). What I think we are seeing in these slight differences is a result of original cards having been photographed, the new images being "one generation removed". The photographic process never records with total accuracy. Plus, the cost of paying anyone for color retouching seems to me beyond the budget or intentions which an edition such as this would have had! Just my two cents.

Thanks,
- Mark

Still searching, I am hoping I will find what I am looking for, I just want to know the colors and how to read them (color symbolism) anyone know?

La Force

ETA #4: I like this point

The Bicentannial is certainly nice because it is unlaminated and because it was printed directly from the original woodblocks but the Thunder Bay Press edition is virtually identical visually and is easier to shuffle!

La Force

gregory

There is a thread here SOMEWHERE about color symbolism. I have NO idea where. I think Jackdaw* is quite hot on that, though...

Freddie

It is a great deck and I do like the book. I feel that this one of the best books written on Tarot divination as it offers different angles on the Tarot as opposed to just one system. The deck is also sold in a larger 6 inch version.

Freddie

La Force

The deck is also sold in a larger 6 inch version.

Freddie

Freddie your an evil, }) totally evil :D your such the Devil :TDEV tempt me like that.:joke: lol

now that you've tempted me where might I find this 6" deck?

La Force

Rasa

6 inches?? really? that's pretty big.

Is the cardstock thin like the smaller edition with the book and purple cloth?
I had heard about one with very thick cardstock....