any views regarding the Pirate tarot?

shadowdancer

the version created by Carrie Amodio, Lucas Amodio, and Liz Harper.

It looks rather jolly but haven't heard much about it. I recently looked it up from the Schiffer website and saw some images on Aeclectic.

https://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/pirate-schiffer/

Has anyone got this and if so, willing to share views? The wooden deck is rather costly so not expecting anyone to have that version :D

Davina

shadowdancer

well, a copy arrived today, courtesy of a purchase via bookdepository. Heck it took something like 6 days from the time it was ordered - unbelievably quick and unbelievably well priced at less than £10

First off, I have to say the first thing I did was take a pair of scissors to it, and remove the huge border which adorns one side of the card with the title PIRATE. It has messed up the symmetry of the rear but trust me, it was the lesser of the two evils. I have never seen a deck more in need of a trim than this one. That huge title down the side as a border really wasn't needed.

Anyways, I really was smiling with this deck. It will not be used often for those indepth or spiritua readings, but you know what - if you want a deck just to do a simple or straight forward reading this could do it no problems :) It is so RWS it is almost a no brainer, but I just love the theme and style. There are key words on the bottom to help for those new to tarot (in lieu of the fact there is no LWB). This deck has been burnt onto wood, thus the colouring as you see it and the odd little wood-eye.

I have attached a couple of piccies. First up are a handful of majors which particularly made me smile. The other piccie has 3 of the pages (I really did like the personality that came through with these characters - you can almost imagine each one as a real boy of that age, with all the things they get up to!) and a small selection of the minors.

I would love to know if anyone else has this deck, and if so how they have got on with it. For the price it was, I don't at all feel bad at the fact I have a light hearted deck in my collection which has no qualms about not having heavy symbolism attached to it. It is just fun I guess :D

Davina

eta: this is the link to some other images on AT: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/pirate-schiffer/

and this link is to the Majors only which really does show the wood it was burnt onto: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/pirate/

with a review here: http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/pirate/review.shtml

Attachments

• minors pages.jpg
    minors pages.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 158
  • majors.jpg
    majors.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 147

Mellifluous

I like it a lot. I think it's beautiful and it gives clear, accurate readings.

I don't think of it as being lighthearted though. Tarot is tarot is tarot.

I was very excited when I first saw it online, because it seemed much more 'authentic' to me than that other cartoon-y, ugly pirate deck that's out there. Just as pleased with it in person. :)

Glitterbird

I'm going to have to get this one. Looks very interesting. What are earth were they thinking with that awful boarder?

shadowdancer

I know...lol. I rarely say anything negative about a deck. My belief is in those instances it is better to say nothing at all. However with this border - I had to say it :D

I may actually scan mine and turn it to grey scale so I also have a b/w version. Tried it with a few cards and it looks okay. Not printed it yet though to see how it looks in the flesh so to speak. I will add this deck to my readings page here at AT as one of the decks offered. It looks so readable.

Davina

gregory

I think it's fairly horrid. But I do own it. The borders are to die of..... the colouring isn't that great either.

nisaba

gregory said:
I think it's fairly horrid. But I do own it.
Hell, has that *ever* been a recommendation?

Gregory owns it. Yes, sure, that makes it a tasteful deck in a select minority.

gregory said:
The borders are to die of.....
<laughs raucously>

quintessence

I have this deck, and <looks down sheepishly> often make fun of the border. Sometimes I'll stop in the middle of trying to shuffle these huge planks of cards and exclaim, "Now, what deck is this again?" Then I draw a card -- any card -- and it tells me in big bold letters all down one side: PIRATE.
I just think it's good to get obvious ridiculousness out in the open and out of the way so you can get to some serious reading.

And I must say, if you'll pardon the pun, this deck takes no prisoners. The meanings are quite clear, and often somewhat cruel in that unmittigated truth theme I seem to embrace so well. Sometimes people are just so delusional that they keep superimposing sugar-coated personal interpretations over what the cards are showing them and the reader is trying to tactfully point out. I find this deck generally leaves them no quarter. It's like a scene from Pirates of the Caribbean, where Elizabeth goes, "But that's not fair!" and Johnny Depp replies, "Pirate."

I considered cutting off the PIRATE side of the card, but it would unbalance it, and honestly, since it's so consistently there, after awhile I don't even notice it as I read. The deck is seldom chosen in private readings, (bit daunting,) but I did a Gasparilla event in Tampa which celebrates the pirates each year, usually in early February, and it's a big favorite then. It wades in with all of the flying swag and makes a strong experience for Gasparilla attendees. Hope this perspective helps.

nisaba

I have since seen a copy of this deck - a client of mine was carrying a rather battered copy, and wanted me to do their reading with their own deck because they loved it. Never saw it before, but I got what they thought was a good reading out of it.

I just wonder how you'd shuffle the wooden version ...

garmonbozia

MY eyes! My eyes!

I've had this on my wishlist for a while but never noticed from the box art that the "Pirate" is part of the card border. Wow that is ugly. I can't bring myself to trim cards, but this is one case where it is surely warranted.