Reading the Marseille Tarot

starlightexp

So through 6/30/11 you can use a coupon : SUMMERBOOK11 and the e-book is only 10.99
I had to bite and get it at that price even if I could only read it on my computer. A much cheaper way to find out if I liked the book then spending the $55 with shipping for the paperback.

It was not that hard to put this on my Ipad. THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH Teheuti for posting this up. Going to the Pagan Spirit Gathering next week and now have the book to take with me...
I just downloaded it, but have only begun to read it. It looks really great - especially if you are interested in a detailed study of the various Marseilles cards, with an emphasis on the Noblet deck. Jean-Michel then talks about how to really 'look' at a card - not just the details, but as if you were there. Then there is a comparison of the card with historical motifs, in much depth (including possible astrological, Kabbalistic, alchemical and moral considerations), and including lots of pictures, most of which are in color.

You will need to first download Adobe Digital Editions. You can read it in their format or download it to about 20 ereader formats including Nook and ePub - but NOT Kindle or iBooks.

If you want to read it on an iPad or iPhone then download Bluefire Reader onto your device and give it the same User Name and Password as you used for Adobe Digital Editions. You will then be able to transfer what's called the ADE format, pdf file via iTunes (note: you won't be able to open it in a standard pdf reader!).

Connect your iPad to your computer. Go to iTunes > the device window > Apps. At the bottom, there is a Documents list. Click on the Bluefire app on the left which will then list all its documents on the right. Click on the + (add) button below and choose Reading_the_Marseille_Tarot.pdf
from your Digital Editions folder in Documents. Make sure you wait until the SYNC has completed.

I know, it's a bit of a hassle, but now you'll be able to download ebooks from libraries, which, it seems, all use ADE format, so it is worth it.

publius

For us in the USA, there is an exemption to the DMCA for ebooks (for personal use, non infringing copyright):

From wikipedia:
Literary works distributed in e-book format when all existing e-book editions of the work (including digital text editions made available by authorized entities) contain access controls that prevent the enabling either of the book’s read-aloud function or of screen readers that render the text into a specialized format. (A renewed exemption from 2006, based on a similar exemption approved in 2003.)

If someone gets curious and uses google, it took me about 10 minutes to remove the copy protection (digital rights management) from my copy. I can now read it with any PDF reader I want on any device I want.

Sword

A "learn to read!" edit out.

alec

So looking forward to begin this study. Thanks JMD for making these lessons available.

Alec

RexMalaki

I spent over an hour trying to get this ebook on my iPad...Went to the Bluefire web site and the Adobe web site and the iTunes web site...no luck.

Then I read this post by Teheuti and it worked! I still hate this type of protected PDF and if I had known it was this much trouble I wouldn't have bought it!

I really look forward to reading the book! But didn't want to have to read it on my PC; that's why I bought an iPad!!

Thanks M.G. !!!

I just downloaded it, but have only begun to read it. It looks really great - especially if you are interested in a detailed study of the various Marseilles cards, with an emphasis on the Noblet deck. Jean-Michel then talks about how to really 'look' at a card - not just the details, but as if you were there. Then there is a comparison of the card with historical motifs, in much depth (including possible astrological, Kabbalistic, alchemical and moral considerations), and including lots of pictures, most of which are in color.

You will need to first download Adobe Digital Editions. You can read it in their format or download it to about 20 ereader formats including Nook and ePub - but NOT Kindle or iBooks.

If you want to read it on an iPad or iPhone then download Bluefire Reader onto your device and give it the same User Name and Password as you used for Adobe Digital Editions. You will then be able to transfer what's called the ADE format, pdf file via iTunes (note: you won't be able to open it in a standard pdf reader!).

Connect your iPad to your computer. Go to iTunes > the device window > Apps. At the bottom, there is a Documents list. Click on the Bluefire app on the left which will then list all its documents on the right. Click on the + (add) button below and choose Reading_the_Marseille_Tarot.pdf
from your Digital Editions folder in Documents. Make sure you wait until the SYNC has completed.

I know, it's a bit of a hassle, but now you'll be able to download ebooks from libraries, which, it seems, all use ADE format, so it is worth it.

inanna_tarot

Does any one know if this file type is compatible with Kindles and how to get the ebook without kindle messing it all up with this weird converting style?

Sulis

Does any one know if this file type is compatible with Kindles and how to get the ebook without kindle messing it all up with this weird converting style?
I haven't a clue but I'd like to know this too...

Maybe Calliber could convert it into a file suitable for Kindle????? I just don't want to waste the money unless I know that it would work though..

RexMalaki

If you use the crack that "publius" was referring to it would be a normal pdf and a kindle reads pdf's right?

e.t.a. I apologize for the misleading term "crack"; I don't mean to imply piracy...contact jmd I think he might share a method to unlock the ebook...

publius

I don't have much time to participate in forums for the moment (too much real work to do), so my apologies if I don't reply quickly.

First, I have to say that unprotecting an ebook for personal use is legal in the United States, I don't know the legal issues anywhere else. While I respect Jean Michel David's opinion about DRM and his willingness to sell the ebook as protected, I, as owner of this work, feel that I have the right to read it on any device I want (I paid for the book, I own it, I do whatever I want with it for my personal use).

That "crack" allows to "unprotect" a PDF file, so that you can read it on any device you want with any reader you want. When the PDF is unprotected, calibre can be used to convert the file to mobi for the kindle. I don't know how it could look, as the kindle has a small screen; it is very good on my iPad, I use the goodreader app to read it.

It is not an easy procedure if you are not computer savvy; it requires installing python, pycrypto and a few scripts that you'll have to find on the net. I must add that I condemn piracy. As I don't know the legal status of "unprotecting" an ebook in most parts of the world, I will not help, google is your best bet.

The book is excellent, I highly recommend it. It is a rare treasure for the Marseille, probably the best book in english on the subject.

le_charior

Is this the right thread to whine about why this book is not available on a decent self publishing platform, but only on lulu? Why can't there be a kindle version on amazon, why, WHY? I REALLY want this, but I would so prefer to have it on my kindle... Well... Nothing to be done I guess and I will have to buy the real book - no way I can be bothered to deal with Digital Editions and this weird protected pdf format...

Sorry to be off topic, if I am, but I heard the book is amazing. Waiting until I want it enough to pay the prize and trouble of international shipping....