Classics that would make amazing decks

starlightexp

This is what is wrong with the Alice in Wonderland Tarot and the LOTR Tarot - They end up using minor, minor forgettable characters to fill up the deck, some not part of the story.

I totally agree on this one. I wish that so may decks didn't feel the need to stick with the RWS images just with new dressings. I think that using the minors as almost a story arc is a way more interesting concept that would work when doing a literately tarot

Carla

Minors should be pips only, the artwork being in keeping with the mood of the classic. That would solve that problem, and avoid horribly forced and confusing concepts in the suits. Leave the focus on majors and courts.

starlightexp

That could work too if the pip art was unique enough

tarotbear

Minors should be pips only, the artwork being in keeping with the mood of the classic. That would solve that problem, and avoid horribly forced and confusing concepts in the suits. Leave the focus on majors and courts.

Totally agree! In the LOTR Tarot it should have been 'The Tolkein Tarot' and that way could incorporate more Tolkein characters - As it is Tom Bombadil and Goldberry are in it and are in neither the Hobbit or LOTR. I remember going through the deck finding one character I had no clue about - the description said 'He is so-and-so from such-and-such.' I went back to look and found out he existed for all of one paragraph! This is the character in a Tarot card - a one-paragraph wonder?

*sigh*

Zephyros

This is what is wrong with the Alice in Wonderland Tarot and the LOTR Tarot - They end up using minor, minor forgettable characters to fill up the deck, some not part of the story.

I agree with you that they, and a few others like them, feel forced, but there isn't another alternative. When Waite and Crowley created their decks, they used esoteric influences from a myriad of different sources, but any literary adaptation would have merely one main source. That could be enough for something as unambitious as the Wonderland deck, but as you said, it doesn't work (Not to be confused with the unreleased Alice Tarot from Baba Studios which looks really cool, although not for me because of the photo-realism).

I think the problem lies in the difference between a creator falling in love with story's symbolism and then making a deck, between another who creates it for the same reasons the plethora of prequels, sequels, remakes and reboots that are being made. Take a popular name, do something banal with it, add some gratuitous CGI, and you've got a blockbuster.

That being said, as I said, I would love a Tolkein deck that used sources from all the books, including LOTR and the Hobbit, Unfinished Tales, the Silmarillion, The Adventures of Tom Bombadil and a few others. There is certainly no lack for material there. Something like that could still be amazing, even if it stuck to the RWS formula. The drawback would be that few would buy such a thing, and even fewer would understand it. Personally I would be amazed, but only because I spent a few years reading nothing but Tolkein. A "true" Tolkein deck also needn't follow the same "character a card" formula, since it is such a rich world, it practically has its own esoterics in it. But again, how geeky can one be when trying to appeal to the mass market?

Unfortunately, most literary adaptations of decks are made by the second type I mentioned, they aren't created to be good. This could also be a commentary that the "great" decks such as the RWS were made to appeal to practically everyone, while many today are made for niche markets, and those don't sell as much.

Morwenna

Also Dickens....

Hear hear!! There are enough characters and situations in Dickens to last for several decks! Some novels are rich enough to stand on their own for a deck, I'm sure; for instance David Copperfield or Bleak House. Certainly, his oeuvre as a whole is rich enough to provide material for a very easily-read deck, if you know the works. Many of his characters are iconic. (Fool's journey? Great Expectations!)

I'm going to sit down later and go through a deck and think very hard about what Dickens character or scene would apply to each card. I will probably have more possibilities than I'll know what to do with.

(I should probably do the same with Tolkien's works--I bet I could devise a much better deck than the existing LOTR one, even just from LOTR itself!)

Elendil

Totally agree! In the LOTR Tarot it should have been 'The Tolkein Tarot' and that way could incorporate more Tolkein characters - As it is Tom Bombadil and Goldberry are in it and are in neither the Hobbit or LOTR.

*sigh*

Not in the films, perhaps, but check out Chapters VI, VII an VIII of the Fellowship of the Ring. Chapter VII is even entitled : 'In the House of Tom Bombadil'(and is the one featuring Goldberry).

Elendil

:)

Zelmira

Also Shakespeare's characters would give you enough for varios decks.

Zelmira

Freddie

I would say that 'Dark Grimoire Tarot' based on the life/works of H.P. Lovecraft is more than an amazing deck as I would call it pretty much perfect. I wonder if any future literary themed deck could ever outdo this one??? I'm not sure.... I have read Lovecraft's books since I was a teenager and words just cannot describe the feelings this deck evokes from me.

BTW folks, ole H.P. is on the back of this deck...too cool. I still faithfully read Lovecraft, Le Fanu and Poe and hope to for the rest of my life.

Freddie

Attachments

• howard_phillips_lovecraft_by_chainsofnightmare-d3cprix.jpg
    howard_phillips_lovecraft_by_chainsofnightmare-d3cprix.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 71
  • b79.jpg
    b79.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 70

a_gnostic

Also Shakespeare's characters would give you enough for varios decks.
If you want it, you can find it... on [size=+2]ebaY[/size]®[size=+2]![/size]

[size=+1]Shakespearian Tarot Box Set[/size]​
Shakespearian Tarot Box Set, Dolores Ashcroft-Nowicki, illustrations by Paul Hardy. A complete package of 144 page book and 78 cards depicting scenes and quotes from Shakespeare for both Tarot users and Shakespearian enthusiasts. The book and cards are in LIKE NEW condition...