just got PCS Commemorative Deck

rmcfarron

Hi, all. I'm new here and pretty new to tarot. I'm learning the cards and my decks and trying to get the baseline I feel I need to do "real" readings for people other than myself. I had 4 decks and felt quite self indulgent about it when buying each of them! And then I got smitten with the PCS Commemorative set. I wanted this set. I needed this set. I already have 2 RWS sets, I don't need another set. I WANT THIS DECK, I WANT THIS DECK, I REALLY REALLY WANT THIS DECK. This deck will make me fabulous and happy. I'll lose 10 pounds if I only buy this set.

Okay, finally today I called the shop I sometimes frequent. They have one copy of it in stock. Leapt in my car and ran right out. It's beautiful. It's wonderful. I love this deck. Yes, I'm a newbie with my 5 meager decks :)

So I was wondering if any of you are using or have used this deck and what your opinions of it are? I'd love to hear from more experienced readers.

Richard

I use it almost all the time. I can't imagine any RWS being more beautiful than the PCS.

agviz

I love the aged look of the Commemorative. It's my favorite RWS. The cards are slightly stiff, but perhaps that explains why they're holding up so well for me. The book on PCS is great and I've really come to appreciate her artistry. I'm sure there are some good threads on this deck if you do a search. Good luck with it - I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Carla

I wanted this set. I needed this set. I already have 2 RWS sets, I don't need another set. I WANT THIS DECK, I WANT THIS DECK, I REALLY REALLY WANT THIS DECK. This deck will make me fabulous and happy. I'll lose 10 pounds if I only buy this set.

I have the PCS Commemorative and like it just fine, but this quote made my day. ha :)

(Actually, I do prefer my brighter RWS decks to the PCS. It's a bit brown for me. I suppose for authenticity it's the best, but I have to say I actually adore my RWS Giant. That one just makes me smile. It's so ridiculously huge, and no strain at all to see any detail. Love that one, too).

LadyDeborah

I love the deck, too. I think it was a nice tribute. I don't use it, though. I'm not saying I won't, but I got it mostly for the collection aspect. It's nice to meet another Tarot enthusiast! :)

Le Fanu

I use it almost all the time. I can't imagine any RWS being more beautiful than the PCS.
*cough*

oddly enough, I can.

It's a nice deck, a very clear deck,a very beautiful deck. A must-have purchase for any tarot lover. I rather like the stiffness of the cardstock and can forgive it the backs. I really do think it is such a wonderful publication and worth all the praise.

However, just a correction; the "look" is not aged. Nothing ages like that. I have dozens of antique papers, books, antique cards, a 1909 Pam B and nothing ever goes that colour with time.

We may like the brown-ness, but it isn't aged. Nor does it resemble agedness. It's something else (which, yes, many of us like. I don't).

But perhaps the most wonderful thing about this deck is the firmness of line that comes through in the drawings.

BSwett

I don't think about it as aged look, just a particular type of light, which ''feels somewhat vintage. I absolutely love this deck. The waxiness of the stock, the subdued colors, and yes, that nice tea stain shade. There are many brilliant tarots that are printed with pearly white backgrounds and I don't really like that.

A fantastic tribute to a fantastic artist!

agviz

I don't think about it as aged look, just a particular type of light, which ''feels somewhat vintage. I absolutely love this deck. The waxiness of the stock, the subdued colors, and yes, that nice tea stain shade. There are many brilliant tarots that are printed with pearly white backgrounds and I don't really like that.

A fantastic tribute to a fantastic artist!

I concur with everything you said. "Tea stain shade" - I like that. ;)

Le Fanu, I went to your site and saw your Pamela B. I see what you mean about it not having a brownish tone. While I love the Commemorative, I would also love a closer recreation of an original Pamela B with those crackle backs and no copyright. Do you use yours much, or do you fear handling it due to its age or value?

Le Fanu

I would also love a closer recreation of an original Pamela B with those crackle backs and no copyright. Do you use yours much, or do you fear handling it due to its age or value?
I don't often read with the standard RWS deck, but if I feel like it, or if it is a reading that's a bit special, I can and do read with it. The deck is in good condition, well-used but not tatty in any way and if someone wanted a reading with it, I'd happily oblige. I don't worry about others shuffling it. I have seen more recent RWS decks that look more dog-eared.

Interestingly, I think the printed in China cardstock of the Commemorative deck won't gain flexibility with time. I cannot imagine it getting floppier.

.traveller.

I've been using mine since it was published, and it has held up well. Some of the antiquing has worn off in spots, and it has gained some genuine aging of it's own...oil marks, some scuffing. Love this deck, I use it all the time.