Why is the thoth deck more expensive?

Pythagoras 1/10

Here in the UK the thoth decks costs £18.99. why does this cost more than most other decks?

The Original Rider-Waite Tarot Deck + Pictorial Key To The Tarot: £13.27
The Black Cats Tarot Deck: £12.98
Druid Craft Tarot Deck: £9.09
Robin Wood Tarot Deck: £12.32

Weirder still the thoth deck is marked down from £31.00 while most of the other ones where only marked down a few pounds. Does anyone know why this is?

nisaba

In the 1980s, when money meant more than it does today, average Tarot prices were around $35-40 for a deck alone, and deck-and-book sets were around $90 here in Australia. And this was RRP, not inflated.

We bought them cheerfully then. And now I even catch *myself* complaining when a deck has a similar dollar-number to what it had back then, even though today that would only buy you a great lunch whilst back then it would buy you a week's groceries.

willowfox

Bigger cards, more ink used, and the higher price adds to the "mystic" of having something to do with Crowley the showman, but in the end just as mortal as the rest of us.

Pythagoras 1/10

I checked up the price of the thoth pocket size and they are £20.99. A little bit off track but which size do you think would be best for a novice.

Wow nisba that sounds like a lot. How much do they usually run nowadays.

It must be the mystic of Crowley. Although there are a couple of other decks around that price the hermetic tarot for one. They must just be so popular that the publishers feel as though they don't need to compete on price.

willowfox

There are clones of the Thoth around.

AJ

Not too long ago there was a disagreement between US Games and OTO (I think they own the original rights) and during that time the deck was not available to the retail market.
Prices went up, and although the publishing agreement was made and the decks are and have been readily available sellers remember those good prices and still market the deck pretty high.

Have you shopped at Book Depository? Looks like 26% off today, and free shipping.
http://www.bookdepository.com/search?searchTerm=thoth+tarot&search=Find+book?a_aid=aeclectic

edited again :) to say welcome to AT!

Pythagoras 1/10

Not too long ago there was a disagreement between US Games and OTO (I think they own the original rights) and during that time the deck was not available to the retail market.
Prices went up, and although the publishing agreement was made and the decks are and have been readily available sellers remember those good prices and still market the deck pretty high.

Have you shopped at Book Depository? Looks like 26% off today, and free shipping.
http://www.bookdepository.com/search?searchTerm=thoth+tarot&search=Find+book?a_aid=aeclectic

edited again :) to say welcome to AT!

That explains it. It also suggests why the price is marked down so much compared to other decks; it must be slowly realigning itself for the norm.

Also, thanks for the link! I have never heard of book depository before. Do they regularly do sales?

gregory

That explains it. It also suggests why the price is marked down so much compared to other decks; it must be slowly realigning itself for the norm.

Also, thanks for the link! I have never heard of book depository before. Do they regularly do sales?

Not usually - but they do do cheap, and they do do free shipping !

nisaba

Not usually - but they do do cheap, and they do do free shipping !

Which is why they have stolen a proportion of my Tarot business from others, more worthy in other ways.