Comparing two ancient tarot poems

DoctorArcanus

The first poem from the Ace of Coins and Two of Cups of the Vieville Tarot. I think it dates to about 1650. The translation is based on that provided by Ross

Code:
PERE SAINCT FAIT            Holy Father, grant
MOY YUSTICE DE CE           me Justice (7) against this
VIELART MA E BAGA           Old Man (11), Fool (0) and Juggler (1),
AMOREVX DE                  the Lover (6) of
CESTE DAME QVY              this Lady (14). Let it
SOIT CRYE A SON DE          be shout by the sound of
TROMPE PAR TOVT             the Trumpet (20) in all
LE MONDE DE PAR             the World (21), by
LE PAPE LA PAPESSE          the Pope (5), the Papesse (2),
L ANPEREVR L INPERATRYCE    the Emperor (4), the Empress (3),
LE SOLEIL                   the Sun (19),

LA LUNE LES ETOILLES        the Moon (18), the Stars (17),
LA FOVDRE PRINS             the Lightning (16). Taken
A FORCE QVY SOIT            by Force (9), let him be
PENDV E TRANNAY             Hanged (12) and drawn (8)
AV DIABLE                   to the Devil (15).

The second poem is the 1527 sonnet by Teofilo Folengo that contains a reference to each one of the Trumps. It was translated with a joint effort on this thread

Code:
Amor, sotto 'l cui impero molte imprese     Love (6), under whose Empire (4) many deeds
van senza tempo sciolte da Fortuna,         go without Time (9) and without Fortune (10),
vide Morte su 'l carro orrenda e bruna      saw ugly and dark Death (13) on a Chariot (7),
volger fra quanta gente al mondo prese.     going between the people it took away from the World (21).

Per qual giustizia, disse, a te si rese     She asked: no Pope (5) nor Papesse (2) was ever won
nè Papa mai, nè s' è papessa alcuna?        by you. Do you call this Justice (8)?
Rispose: chi col sol fece la luna           Love answered: Him who made the Sun (19) and the Moon (18)
tolse contra mie forze lor diffese.         defended them from my Strength (11).

Sciocco, qual sei, quel foco, disse Amore,  What a Fool (0) I am, said Love, my Fire (16),
ch' or angiol or demonio appare, come       that can appear as an Angel (20) or as a Devil (15),
temprar sannosi altrui sotto mia stella.    can be Tempered (14) by others who live under my Star (17).

Tu imperatrice ai corpi sei, ma un cuore    You are the Empress (3) of bodies. But you cannot kill 
benchè sospendi, non uccidi, e un nome      hearts, you only Suspend (12) them. You have a name 
sol d' alta Fama tienti un bagatella.       of high Fame, but you are nothing but a Trickster (1).

I don't have a Vieville deck, so I don't feel much competent to comment on the first poem. One fact is that a few Trumps are missing: Death and the Wheel for sure. And possibly Temperance and the Chariot. I was wondering if the two cards on which the poem is printed could stand for the Wheel (Ace of Coins) and Temperance (Two of Cups)....

The style of the two poems is very different. A common trait is that they are both difficult to translate and to understand. My impression is that Folengo's is sophisticated and deeply symbolic. Frank Hall has provided an insightful comment on this aspect:
Frank Hall said:
Important to this is the incorporating of all the major arcana into a philosophical, meditative poem -- the images are obviously taken profoundly seriously as they support a dialogue between Love and Death. The use of Temperance as symbol of the balance between angelic love and devilish love is notable. Most importantly, here all the major arcana are metaphors for spiritual ideas that hold together in the poem's integrating pattern of meaning.

The Vieville text is different. It doesn't have a definite metric....at least I could not see it. The subject is less symbolic: it seems to be the prayer of a man who is upset by his lady's lover :)
Many of trumps are quoted in a single, unstructured list, starting from The Pope and ending with "La Foudre" (the tower's lightning). Death is missing, possibly for superstition, from the Vieville poem, while it is one of the main Characters in Folengo's sonnet.

I think a comparison between this two texts gives an idea of how Tarot which originally was an high society game for the rich became a popular game, maybe losing some of its original elegance, but gaining a strong and healthy connection to everyday life.
Dummet quotes three verses from a 1550 Italian poem:
Code:
Ma 'l giuoco del Tarocco e' da Signori,     But the game of Tarot is for Lords,
Principi, Re, Baroni, et Cavalieri,         Princes, Kings, Barons and Knights,
Per questo e' detto il giuco degli honori.  that's why it is called the game of honours.

It seems that, one hundred years later, things were very different!

Marco

ArcanoMáximo

Amazing!

What beatifulls one you have found, thanks to share. I come to this HR forum jus only few times, so i appreciate your PM invitation to here. I've put the Teofilo Folengo sonetto translated in one of my threads, i guess somebody may wanna read the original one in your beautiful native languaje, so i'll put a link to here. Tante Grazie Marco!!!

venicebard

DoctorArcanus said:
I was wondering if the two cards on which the poem is printed could stand for the Wheel (Ace of Coins) and Temperance (Two of Cups)....
Coins or rounds are definitely cycles, and two vessels are two vessels. Vieville seems a distorted, degenerate version of tarot though, and the bitterness of the ‘poem’ well suits its slovenly mold. Note it has the maker at odds with Love and the Old Man, who represents condensed wisdom, as well as 0 and 1, which are the unit by which all else is measured!

The Folengo, however, is a gem! What I find extremely interesting is that the Empress is equated with death herself (being the threefold goddess, and also the yew, tree of death and last letter of ogham, whose symbolic number is, you guessed it, three) and that Love is paramount, its two ‘fires’ tempered under the Star, which (by its mingling of fluids in the pool and symbolic connexion to heather) represents love’s consummation. Also that 16 is called Love’s Fire, since its shattering of illusion or duality is the means of breaking through (God’s) Justice or Law to rise to (Christ’s) Love. I will be studying this translation for some time to come, as for me the poem comes closer to grasping the symbolic whole of the trumps than do all the modern commentators taken together. The Chariot, for example, is Death’s, not a man’s, making it wind and speech (by which we speak death into the world), not something with actual wheels (other than Ezekiel’s, of course, on which it ‘rides’, and trump X, which stands for them, being the ten Sefirot on them). After all, the driver is Thespis, for heaven's sake! whose nobler guise is Death (i.e. tragedy, which is heroic, as opposed to comedy, which is satiric and thus anti-heroic).

Forgive me for being so effusive.

DoctorArcanus

I have tried a systematic comparision of how trumps are used in the two poems. An interesting fact is that the Trumps are full of allegories, i.e. abstract concepts represented as concrete objects. Folengo's sonnet is an allegory, in which Love and Death (abstract concepts) are the main characters and speak to each other. The Vieville poem is absolutely material, it is a story told in first person; God and the Devil are there, but they are called to take part to the mundanity of real life.

The comparison between the two texts makes me think of the two sections in Calvino's book "The Castle of Crossed Destinies" / "The Tavern of Crossed Destinies". We move from "Il Castello di Folengo" to "La Taverne de Vieville" :)

0 The Fool - in both poems the card is used with a negative meaning
V:"Ma" attribute of the rival / F:"Sciocco" Love says this to himself or possibly to Death

1 The Juggler - also in this case both meanings are negative. In F, it means "trifle"
V:"Baga" attribute of the rival / F:"Bagatella" Love says this to Death

2 The Papesse
V:"Papesse" one of those who testify the lady's unfaithfulness / F:"Papessa" one who was not won by Love

3 The Empress
V:"Inperatryce" one of those who testify the lady's unfaithfulness / F:"Imperatrice" Death is defined Empress of bodies

4 The Emperor
V:"Anpereur" one of those who testify the lady's unfaithfulness / F:"Impero" the power of Love is defined an empire

5 The Pope
V:"Pape" one of those who testify the lady's unfaithfulness / F:"Papa" one who was not won by Love

6 The Lovers
V:"Amoreux" the author's rival is the lover of his lady / F:"Amor" Love is the main character of the sonnet

7 The Chariot
V:"Trannay" (trainee) a verb indirectly connected to the chariot is used with reference to the rival's punishment / F:"Carro" Death rides on a chariot

8 Justice
V:"Yustice" the author asks God to make justice of his rival / F:"Giustizia" Death says there is non justice in Love's partiality

9 The Hermit - V uses a concrete meaning, while F uses the card as an allegory of time. I think both meanings were used in ancient names for this card in Italy ("il Vecchio" e "il Tempo")
V:"Vielart" attribute of the rival (Old Man) / F:"Tempo" deeds performed under the influence of Love are said to often last a short Time

10 Wheel of Fortune
V: - missing / F:"Fortuna" deeds performed under the influence of Love are said to often have little fortune

11 Strength
V:"Force" the rival should be taken by force and brought to his punishment / F:"Forze" Love says God defends a few from his strength

12 The Hanged Man - V is close to the original meaning of punishment for the traitor; F is more poetic and symbolic
V:"Pendu" the rival should be punished by being "pendu" / F:"Sospendi" a verb is used: Love says Death can only suspend hearts. Sospendere also means hanging

13 Death
V: - missing / F:"Morte" Death is one of the main characters of the sonnet

14 Temperance
V: - missing / F:"Temprar" a verb is used: Love says some people know how to temper his fire

15 The Devil
V:"Diable" the rival should be finally taken to the devil
F:"Demonio" Love's fire sometime is a devil

16 The Tower - Both lightning (Fulmine) and fire (Fuoco) were common ancient names for The Tower
V:"Foudre" lightning one of the things that testify the lady's unfaithfulness / F:"Foco" Love's power is defined to be a fire

17 The Star - F gives to the Star a metaphorical meaning
V:"Etoilles" the stars are among the things that testify the lady's unfaithfulness / F:"Stella" people that are under the effect of Love are said to be "under his star"

18 The Moon
V:"Lune" the Moon is one of the things that testify the lady's unfaithfulness / F:"Luna" God is referenced as the maker of the Moon and the Sun

19 The Sun
V:"Soleil" the Sun is one of the things that testify the lady's unfaithfulness / F:"Sol" God is referenced as the maker of the Moon and the Sun

20 Judgment - V uses the card for a concrete object, F for a mystical entity. I think "La Tromba" e "L'Angelo" are both documented names for Judgment in Italy
V:"Trompe" a Trumpet should announce the lady's unfaithfulness / F:"Angiol" Love's fire sometime is an Angel

21 The World
V:"Monde" the lady's infidelity should be announce in all the World / F:"Mondo" Death rides her chariot beetween the people it took away from the World

kwaw

Holy Father, grant
me Justice (7) against this
Old Man (11), Fool (0) and Juggler (1),
the Lover (6) of
this Lady (14). Let it
be shout by the sound of
the Trumpet (20) in all
the World (21), by
the Pope (5), the Papesse (2),
the Emperor (4), the Empress (3),
the Sun (19),

the Moon (18), the Stars (17),
the Lightning (16). Taken
by Force (9), let him be
Hanged (12) and drawn (8)
to the Devil (15).

Would it make more sense if the dame that the old man, the fool and the trickster are in love with is Dame Fortuna (X), rather than Dame Temperance.

Card XIIII is named on the card itself - Sol Fama (recall that Alciato calls this card Fama), which leaves only XIII as the card 'sans nom'.