Tarot Renaissance

philebus

Just had a look at the Wiki entry, there's a film poster there (click to enlarge) that features a selection of the cards. The white card with bright colours looks like the old Grimaud Marseille.

frelkins

I think you might want to note the Rolling Stones & Beatles there too. Didn't Jagger have brief flirtation with Aleister Crowley then? And of course Crowley is on the cover of Sgt. Pepper.

mac22

May an old Hippie weigh in?

Nice blog Mary, thanks!

Ok.... I see two different dates. On a personal level 1957-58 when I was exposed to Ouija boards, crystal balls, Tarot Cards, séances, New Thought, Theosophy etc... Oooo...:) It happen thru two elderly "Aunts" who happened to be Spiritualists.
[after all _Nightmare Alley_ with Ty Power & tarot card scenes came out in '47]

The second date I'd say would be between 65-70.

My first deck was a University books RWS and PKT, University book Ed. I still have and read with that RWS deck.

Because my parents collected eclectic friends I was exposed to a good deal beyond what most children in the 50s were, allowed or considered "wholesome and/or prudent" for the times.

I soon learned where & with whom, adult or child, it was "safe" to discuss this knowledge & topics. Since I was raised to respect books, I had access to a wide range of books, from esoteric friends.

I had also read many books yet to be reprinted in the current [69-70s] esoteric revival. Sooo by the time I had my first Tarot deck I had a fair grounding in "the Occult" by a decade or so. :D

Mac22

Teheuti

frelkins said:
I think you might want to note the Rolling Stones & Beatles there too. Didn't Jagger have brief flirtation with Aleister Crowley then? And of course Crowley is on the cover of Sgt. Pepper.
Good point. Their acknowledgement of Crowley may have had a tiny effect on the 1960s tarot swell - although the Book of Thoth didn't come out until 1969 and the deck (although first printed in 1969) was not easily available to metaphysical bookstores - I know some who tried desperately to get copies for years. I don't think Crowley had a strong impact on tarot in terms of the tarot reading public until the mid-70s or later, although there were individuals who deeply studied the Thoth deck from the early 70s.

I'm curious what is the earliest date that people here started studying Thoth?

I was given the Shambala edition of the book in 1971 and finally got the deck around 1973 after I was back in the States. I remember using the images for a college art class as examples of particular archetypes. The professor, who was a Rosicrucian, got rather upset that I dared to think the tarot and Crowley were worthy references.

frelkins

Mary wasn't the first "full" version of Crowley's confessions published in 1969? You may want to ask Scion or Lillie about this since I'm a well-known non-fan of AC and won't pretend to be expert.

I'll just say that my hippie mother had a copy at some point, which probably derived from her interest in the Stones. While the Thoth wasn't available, you would know that! of course! I think this interest on magic by the Stones and Beatles sent people looking for decks -- only to find Pixie! :)

Teheuti

mac22 said:
May an old Hippie weigh in?
I love hearing the personal stories. I just picked up a Fate magazine from 1955 that has two tarot articles in it. The ads demonstrate that there was metaphysical stuff around but mostly through the Rosicrucian Fellowship and the Venture Bookshop in Evanston, Illinois that ran about a dozen ads in the one issue.

In Florida, where I first discovered tarot, there was quite an underground of metaphysics and spiritualism of a terribly old-fashioned sort (ala Casadega), but which provided the resources we were looking for. Although many of us got our start in astrology and psychometry, etc. from the old-school metaphysicians, it was the hippie spirit of exploration that really made it come alive - at least for me. We probably made every magical mistake in the book, but I think that's actually necessary for generating a new generational paradigm and outlook.

I was in a Theosophical study group in Florida, and put in charge of overseeing the chapter on chanting, so I brought in an audio tape with chants for us to do together. You would have thought I was the devil incarnate by their shocked responses: they "studied" chanting, but wouldn't dream of actually doing it! I always have been one to break all the taboos.

Teheuti

frelkins said:
I think this interest on magic by the Stones and Beatles sent people looking for decks -- only to find Pixie! :)
I don't remember there being any tarot connection to the Stones or Beatles - maybe someone knows differently. Magick ala Crowley wasn't really seen as a tarot-related thing until after his deck was available. At the time, he represented black magic, heroin and depraved sexuality to those few people who had heard of him through the Beatles & Stones. His works were not easily available and, as far as most of us knew, the GD & OTO was a thing of the past. There were still plenty of laws around that meant that we tried to keep a low profile and people sometimes wouldn't even tell others that they knew astrology for fear of prosecution. It was illegal in Atlanta and a couple of shops were raided for selling tarot and astrology materials in 69-70.

mac22

Teheuti said:
I love hearing the personal stories. I just picked up a Fate magazine from 1955 that has two tarot articles in it. The ads demonstrate that there was metaphysical stuff around but mostly through the Rosicrucian Fellowship and the Venture Bookshop in Evanston, Illinois that ran about a dozen ads in the one issue.

I was in a Theosophical study group in Florida, and put in charge of overseeing the chapter on chanting, so I brought in an audio tape with chants for us to do together. You would have thought I was the devil incarnate by their shocked responses: they "studied" chanting, but wouldn't dream of actually doing it! I always have been one to break all the taboos.

That's why I maintain there was a preexisting underground esoteric stream PRIOR to 69-70:) ... At least in certain parts of the country.

Where I grew up, Santa Cruz Ca., looked like a sleepy seaside town but had a deep taproot to the underground stream.:)

Mac22

Teheuti

frelkins said:
Mary wasn't the first "full" version of Crowley's confessions published in 1969?
I'm not sure. At the time, Crowley's deck interested me but not his life or practices.