Common Sense Lenormand - Level I

Lee

"Common Sense Lenormand" is a system for reading the cards which I created because I felt the need for a system which was logical, understandable, and easily explained, without the necessity for the reader to guess at how cards in a line should be combined.

There are four threads in the series:

Level I (this thread) - the basic 5-card spread
Level II - one way of expanding the spread to go deeper
Level III - another way of expanding the spread to go deeper
Keywords - you can certainly use your own meanings but these are the keywords I developed for this method.

I've spent a lot of time thinking about optimal ways of reading Lenormand. I've invested time and energy into learning and practicing traditional methods, but I've come to the conclusion that standard spreads like the nine-card or the Grand Tableau just aren't clicking with me.

So I've invented my own method. The basis of the method is a five-card spread with a firm structure/framework, which comprises the first level. This spread is good for providing basic and straightforward answers. There are two further levels which build logically on this spread to provide more nuanced and sophisticated readings. For those who fear this method will be too simplistic, the further levels may provide what you're looking for.

This method could obviously be used with any set of card meanings, but for those who are interested, I've posted a set of key phrases/words here. In the reading examples that I post, I'll be using these meanings, but if anyone wants to post their own readings with this method, feel free to use any meanings you like.

There is a lot of online drama about Lenormand these days, which I am frankly uninterested in participating in. Thus, while I'll happily post to discuss aspects of this method, I won't post in response to criticisms, complaints, putdowns, comparisons to other meanings/methods, etc. My card meanings are fairly traditional, my method fairly nontraditional, so people on both sides should find something here to dislike, should they be so inclined.

I'm calling my method "Common Sense Lenormand" not because I think other methods/meanings lack common sense, but because I've found that my methods/meanings make more sense to me than the others I've tried. I'm posting my system in case there are others who will feel the same way.

So here is the first level of my method.

It's a line of five cards:

Cause:

Cards 1 and 2 represent a Cause. Card 2 is the focus card of this combination. Card 2 "carries" card 1. What do I mean by "carries"? Card 2 brings with it some aspect or characteristic of card 1. Card 1 could be an advantageous or disruptive feature of card 2. The specific relationship will become apparent in the context of the reading.

Example:

My partner has an inexpensive cellphone on an inexpensive carrier. So far it has met his needs, but recently the carrier switched his service to a different cell tower and now he gets no reception at all. I've found a new carrier which offers a good but inexpensive smartphone at a very inexpensive rate. It's more expensive than the cellphone service but relatively very cheap compared to other smartphone carriers. I feel he'll enjoy the added features of a smartphone. Will he decide to go for the smartphone service I'm recommending?

8 Coffin.............10 Scythe

14748645415_0caafe10a6.jpg

Scythe "carries" Coffin. Scythe obviously represents the decision by the cellphone carrier, which has the effect of "cutting" his reception, thus effectively ending (Coffin) his service.

Effect:

Cards 4 and 5 represent an Effect. Card 5 is the focus card, and "carries" card 4.

Example:

20 Park..............33 Key
14562186847_d99a051490.jpg

Using the same question as above, we see that the new smartphone will certainly (Key) provide a solution (Key) to regain and improve upon his digital access to the outside world (Park).

So far we have a Cause (cell service suddenly disrupted and ended) and an Effect (a solution to the problem). But what about card 3?

The Pivot:

Card 3 is the pivot between the Cause and the Effect. It could represent the mechanism by which we get from the Cause to the Effect. It could represent a personal reaction to the Cause which helps bring about the Effect.

Card 3 is basically where the Cause and the Effect intersect, and thus contains elements of both Cause and Effect. You might think of it as a hinge or pivot between the one and the other.

Visually, you might think of cards 1 and 2 inhabiting a circle (labeled "Cause). Cards 4 and 5 inhabit another circle (labeled "Effect"). The area where the two circles overlap is where card 3 resides.

14746419134_19e39b5c8d.jpg

Example:

Card 3 for the above question is:

27 Letter

14748667935_ac6600b98b.jpg

The capability of the smartphone to receive and send data (Letter), as opposed to the cellphone which only has phone and text, is what will make the difference in his decision to go for the smartphone.

Let's look at the whole line:

..........Cause........................Pivot......................Effect
......1...............2....................3.................4..................5
8 Coffin.......10 Scythe.........27 Letter........20 Park.........33 Key

14561980860_f7d156f15a.jpg

The carrier's actions cut (Scythe) his reception, thus effectively ending (Coffin) his service. After taking into consideration the added data features (Letter) that a smartphone brings, he'll decide that that option will be his best solution (Key), thus restoring and increasing his contact with the outside world (20).

Please note that the structure is only a general guideline, and in individual readings you'll find yourself straying from the specific framework as needed and desired. The framework doesn't stop you from considering three cards in combination, after you've done the basic steps.

For example, in this reading, we could say that it's specifically the data aspect (Letter) of online interaction (i.e. networking via websites, maps, etc.) (Park) that will provide the key (Key).

The structure/framework of Cause+Pivot+Effect is designed to be easy to read while at the same time allowing flexibility to handle any kind of question. In temporal terms, usually Cause will be past or present, and Effect will be future, but in a specific reading you might find that the Cause is in the future, the idea or fear of which influences the past, which would be the Effect. So in that case cards 1 and 2 would be the future, affecting cards 4 and 5, representing the past.

If anyone wants to give it a try, please let me know how it goes and/or post your readings here!

Man and Woman cards:

In this system, how do you know who the people cards (Man and Woman and extra people cards) refer to?

Before you do a reading, decide which people cards you will use (if your deck has more than the basic two), and then decide who they will represent, based on who are the important players in your question. For example, you could decide that one person card will be yourself and another person card will be someone else who is important to the matter. For decks that only have one each of Man and Woman cards, you can choose one of the alternate male/female cards to choose another person of the same sex, for example Rider or Dog for a man or Snake for a woman.

In this system we do not use the Grand Tableau, so if your deck has multiple people cards, you could even use more than two, if there are more than two important people involved in the matter.

In Level I readings, it's only five cards in the spread, so there's a good chance the people cards won't even come up. In further levels, though, there are more cards used so the likelihood will be greater.

shadowdancer

Hi Lee :)

Thanks for sharing. I have only just got home from work, so need to relax with a cuppa and read this through properly. This is a comprehensive and well written post and deserves to have proper attention paid accordingly.

Just to say though - I admire what you have done here, and am glad you have created something that works well for you. That is all that matters for sure.

I do like using 5 cards for short but clear readings, and may well try it. If I do I will certainly post back.

As an aside, I have my own way of reading a GT with houses, due to the fact the usual system I felt was too restrictive. Definitely not the norm but works for me. :D

SixDegrees

My card meanings are fairly traditional, my method fairly nontraditional, so people on both sides should find something here to dislike, should they be so inclined.

This made me giggle. :)

Thanks for the method. I also find it difficult sometimes to conceptualize a line of five cards, so this discussion is helpful.

Amanaki

About your system

For me your system is not more easy or more fine tuned then the French lenormand system, and i do not understand why you feel the already existing system is difficult or not good enough. By the way, you have normal 5 cards spread but you just added your own meanings to the cards and placement :)

But i wish you good luck in fine tuning your system.

Amanaki

daphne

In temporal terms, usually Cause will be past or present, and Effect will be future, but in a specific reading you might find that the Cause is in the future, the idea or fear of which influences the past, which would be the Effect. So in that case cards 1 and 2 would be the future, affecting cards 4 and 5, representing the past.

If anyone wants to give it a try, please let me know how it goes and/or post your readings here!

I like it, very clear, till here, cause - effect in future - past.

Could you elaborate on this? How do we know which cards are for future and which for past?

Village Witch

The structure/framework of Cause+Pivot+Effect is designed to be easy to read while at the same time allowing flexibility to handle any kind of question. In temporal terms, usually Cause will be past or present, and Effect will be future, but in a specific reading you might find that the Cause is in the future, the idea or fear of which influences the past, which would be the Effect. So in that case cards 1 and 2 would be the future, affecting cards 4 and 5, representing the past.

Most excellent post. I have been forced at times to read the Cause/Effect in the future as nothing else made sense. Thanks for spelling it out. :)

Lee

I admire what you have done here, and am glad you have created something that works well for you. That is all that matters for sure.

I do like using 5 cards for short but clear readings, and may well try it. If I do I will certainly post back.
Thanks! If you try it, let me know how it goes!
Thanks for the method. I also find it difficult sometimes to conceptualize a line of five cards, so this discussion is helpful.
Yup, that was one of my main motivations -- I wanted a method where I didn't have to guess at how the cards go together.
I like it, very clear, till here, cause - effect in future - past.
Could you elaborate on this? How do we know which cards are for future and which for past?
I think it would depend on the question. For instance, you might have something that you're concerned about that's coming up in the future, so you might ask something like, "How does the future event affect me in the present?" In that case, the Cause cards would be the future, and the Effect cards would represent the present.

Or you could ask, "Am worrying too much about the future?" The Cause cards would represent the future, and the Effect cards would be the past.

For most people, in most situations, the Cause and Effect would be past/present (Cause) and future (Effect). I just wanted to point out that it doesn't necessarily have to be that way.
Most excellent post. I have been forced at times to read the Cause/Effect in the future as nothing else made sense. Thanks for spelling it out. :)
Great!

Thanks everyone for the kind words! :)

Ferne

3 further levels

Thank you Lee for sharing this spread.
I had tried it this morning, and it went rather well for me.

You had said that there are 3 further levels...could you please explain them?

Ferne

Lee

Thank you Lee for sharing this spread.
I had tried it this morning, and it went rather well for me.

You had said that there are 3 further levels...could you please explain them?
I'm glad it went well!

I'll be posting Level II in a few days, by the weekend at the latest.

Meanwhile, here's some more info on Level I:

Man and Woman cards:

In this system, how do you know who the people cards (Man and Woman and extra people cards) refer to?

Before you do a reading, decide which people cards you will use (if your deck has more than the basic two), and then decide who they will represent, based on who are the important players in your question. For example, you could decide that one person card will be yourself and another person card will be someone else who is important to the matter. For decks that only have one each of Man and Woman cards, you can choose one of the alternate male/female cards to choose another person of the same sex, for example Rider or Dog for a man or Snake for a woman.

In this system we do not use the Grand Tableau, so if your deck has multiple people cards, you could even use more than two, if there are more than two important people involved in the matter.

In Level I readings, it's only five cards in the spread, so there's a good chance the people cards won't even come up. In further levels, though, there are more cards used so the likelihood will be greater.

andybc

There is a lot of online drama about Lenormand these days, which I am frankly uninterested in participating in. Thus, while I'll happily post to discuss aspects of this method, I won't post in response to criticisms, complaints, putdowns, comparisons to other meanings/methods, etc. My card meanings are fairly traditional, my method fairly nontraditional, so people on both sides should find something here to dislike, should they be so inclined.

Lee, I just wanted to say I totally understand where you are coming and I think this is very conducive to learning and interesting.

I also wouldn’t say it was totally untraditional, either. A lot of what people say are ‘traditional’ (i.e. French or German school misnomer) is not. I hope this serves you well, and those who follow it also. Good luck.