What Are You Currently Reading?

3ill.yazi

Was just starting to re-read the Book of Thoth last night, but the Camelia Elias TdM book Marseille Tarot,Towards the Art of Reading just arrived today, so I'll be sidetracked from Crowley. I haven't started reading it yet but I see it has color illustrations from the Carolus Zoya deck.

I'll be curious to see what you think of that one. Not sure I can spare the funds for it just yet, but it's on my radar.

Rock Joe

I started the Watkins Tarot Handbook the other day and HOLY COW am I ever enjoying it! :D The link between Qabalah and the Tarot is what got me into Tarot in the first place and I'm amazed at how much info has been packed into under 200 pages (I'm only 30-odd pages in).

I'm kinda glad this isn't the first Tarot book I've read though and that I'm already familiar with the cards.

Samweiss

Was just starting to re-read the Book of Thoth last night, but the Camelia Elias TdM book Marseille Tarot,Towards the Art of Reading just arrived today, so I'll be sidetracked from Crowley. I haven't started reading it yet but I see it has color illustrations from the Carolus Zoya deck.

I recently re-read DuQuette's "Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot" and I'm currently re-reading Dion Fortune's "The Mystical Qabalah". These will be my preparations for re-reading "The Book of Thoth". "The Mystical Qabalah" is much easier read now than it was the first time, it's good to see I've starting to get the hang of the basics. Hopefully it'll be the same with "The Book of Thoth". :)

foolMoon

I recently re-read DuQuette's "Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot" and I'm currently re-reading Dion Fortune's "The Mystical Qabalah". These will be my preparations for re-reading "The Book of Thoth". "The Mystical Qabalah" is much easier read now than it was the first time, it's good to see I've starting to get the hang of the basics. Hopefully it'll be the same with "The Book of Thoth". :)

Bingo. I am reading the same books for the first time. DF's "The Mystical Qabalah" and AC's "Book of Thoth."
At the very minute, Regardie's "A Garden of Pomegranates" dropped in the post box.

Darkmage

I'm going through Crowley's Book of Thoth atm. I also picked up Caitlin Matthews' The Complete Lenormand Oracle last week.

I found a *lovely* copy of one of the CC Zain/Brotherhood of Light books in hardback over at Changing Hands. It's from 1943 and in remarkably good shape, considering its age. It's on hold and I'll pick it up Monday or Tuesday.

jema

Bingo. I am reading the same books for the first time. DF's "The Mystical Qabalah" and AC's "Book of Thoth."
At the very minute, Regardie's "A Garden of Pomegranates" dropped in the post box.

oh I am so picking the Regardie out again!

I recently got the Holisitc tarot so been looking through that one, seems more like a reference book then something I would read from cover to cover though. Do like the chapter on how she found tarot a lot though.

Barleywine

While going through my bookcase I rediscovered Jana Riley's The Tarot Book and remembered that it was on some people's list of "10 tarot books you should own." I never finished it the first time I tried, but this time I'm determined (after all I did recently get through the PKT a second time :)) Riley's take on the Jungian archetypes is a little too imaginative and exuberant for me. (Archetypes can be damaged and need repair? Huh? Maybe our personal experience of them can . . .). But I'm trying to work past that to see what else is there.

luiner

Starting Psychic Tarot by Nancy Antenucci and Melanie Howard yesterday.
Still at early chapters so i can't say much about the book. So far i enjoy it.

foolMoon

Holistic Tarot revisited

oh I am so picking the Regardie out again!

I recently got the Holisitc tarot so been looking through that one, seems more like a reference book then something I would read from cover to cover though. Do like the chapter on how she found tarot a lot though.

I saw the Holistic Tarot in the book shop the other day, and had a quick peek through it, but I still did not agree with the part in page 2, where it said,

Holistic Tarot said:
"If I asked you, what will happen when I put my hand into the fire?, and you answer, You will burn yourself. Are you predicting the future? In one sense, yes, you are. What you are doing is tapping into your conscious knowledge to access information ...."
and its anti fortune telling message in the beginning of the book.

As one member already pointed out, that question and answer is nothing to do with prediction, but it is a statement of cause and effect.

Most questions we ask to Tarot is not like that, but 99% of them is related to unknown facts or outcomes about our daily lives and human relations, i.e. Am I going to marry her? What is she really up to? Will my project / business succeed? ...etc etc.

There is no room for science in these areas of life, and we are asking Tarot in blind faith for the answers, and no matter how superstitious it sounds, we are seeking for answers from divine beings or our unconsciousness, which are above this material world. But maybe this is a matter of personal opinion.

Still it looked like a good reference book, and I might get one from Amazon maybe in the future :)

3ill.yazi

I am now reading Camelia Elias' book on the Tarot de Marseilles. It's very good so far. Very well written and erudite. She has an attitude all her own.

I had been considering Wen's Holistic Tarot, as there is a book club going on. I downloaded a preview, and the second page had this:

"I do not support fortune- telling and I do not believe in future- telling."

So I think I will be giving that one a pass.