Who would like a reprint, or a new edition, of the Rosetta?

JylliM

Thanks for joining in on this thread, Babalon Jones! I truly appreciate the work that went into my pocket Rosetta in its customised tin. I absolutely adore it.
No ideas from me yet for alterations for a second edition, but now you've put the thought out there, it'll be percolating through many minds!

daphne

So what could I do to make a new edition different and another animal while still true to the first?

some ideas:

- Re-paint several of the cards - or just modify some little details in several cards, surprise-surprise.
- Make it a different format, a little bit larger or smaller.
- Have different borders, each suit a different color (though black was perfect for Rossetta)
- or no borders
- Different fonts or if you are so good now with hieroglyph letters, you could write in an anniversary edition the name of the cards in hieroglyphs, we all know the cards, would be fun and exotic /
- or no names at all on the cards
- colored or gilded margins, though no so original anymore and the gild usually comes off
- REPEAT cardstock, it is amazing, so pleasant at touch

starstruck

Yes, a reprint would be nice. I missed out on the first edition, but soon I'm ordering a mini (pocket-size) version. But right know I don't have the money, so boo-hoo.

Some ideas for a new edition:

different backs, different borders, different cardstock, different packaging.

From the looks of it I didn't like the packaging in the first edition. I know it should not matter, but i like my boxes sturdy.

But I wouldn't change the cards themselfs just for the sake of changing. A change should be done only if the artist feels that some cards should be revised for a artistic reason IMHO.

daphne

Yes, a reprint would be nice. I missed out on the first edition, but soon I'm ordering a mini (pocket-size) version. But right know I don't have the money, so boo-hoo.

From the looks of it I didn't like the packaging in the first edition. I know it should not matter, but i like my boxes sturdy.

But I wouldn't change the cards themselfs just for the sake of changing. A change should be done only if the artist feels that some cards should be revised for a artistic reason IMHO.

no, no different cardstock :) the original one is divinely beautiful, the best I ever experienced

good idea different packaging, maybe a tin, solid and nice, as for pocket was

FLizarraga

Thanks for chiming in, Babalon!

First of all, thanks for dropping by. I'm glad we caught your attention --although of course that was the point... })

And thanks for at least leaving the door open for now. We know that you have your hands full.

Now, what to change? I'm not so sure a full revision of the deck would be a good idea. Being the perfectionist that you are, Babalon, it would be extremely time consuming, and we would probably end up with a completely different deck. Keep in mind that, for us, the Rosetta is a deck we love and cherish; for you, it is the lesser, less mature, less accomplished sibling of the Tabula Mundi. I had a sit-down with both decks last night, and it made realize that, in some ways, the Rosetta is a promise that the Tabula Mundi fulfills --in spades, both as a work of art and a Tarot deck. But still the Rosetta is its own deck, with a gentler, friendlier feeling, and with a sort of freshness that's unique.

I'll give you a non-Tarot example. I'm a big fan of SFF writer Emma Bull. A lot of readers agree that her debut novel, War for the Oaks, can't hold a candle to some of her newer books, particularly Bone Dance; but, had she stopped writing after War for the Oaks, she would have still left her (big, big, big) mark in the fantasy genre. (Plus I have reread War for the Oaks a zillion times. No, a gazillion.)

What could be changed, IMO? Simpler things:

- Cardstock. The original one is pleasant to the touch, like some have remarked, but a little on the flimsy side. The TM's is so much better, with a similar feel, but matte and firm, and just a lil' thicker. Personally, I'm a sucker for linen cardstock (so firm and tasty, for lack of a better word), though I don't know if it would affect the vibrancy of the colors.

- Maybe a nicer box, like the TM's, although for me boxes are secondary.

- A new edition of the Book of Seshet. I don't have it, so I can't comment on it, but I'm sure revising it would be less drastic and a lot less time-consuming than revising the cards.

JylliM

You could include a scarf? })

Babalon Jones

some ideas:

- Re-paint several of the cards - or just modify some little details in several cards, surprise-surprise.
- Make it a different format, a little bit larger or smaller.
- Have different borders, each suit a different color (though black was perfect for Rossetta)
- or no borders
- Different fonts or if you are so good now with hieroglyph letters, you could write in an anniversary edition the name of the cards in hieroglyphs, we all know the cards, would be fun and exotic /
- or no names at all on the cards
- colored or gilded margins, though no so original anymore and the gild usually comes off
- REPEAT cardstock, it is amazing, so pleasant at touch

I love the idea of writing the names in hieroglyphs. Could do the majors and courts in cartouches and the pips in another manner. Intriguing idea and one worth exploring!

Also while I really think the black borders were perfect for it, they show wear more so I could experiment with alternatives. Maybe something that looked like papyrus or stone.

I agree about the boxes. While I made those original boxes a side opening clamshell type rather than a top flap tuckbox which I think was better, it was still not a hard case which I too prefer. At the tiime I did not have a US source for good sturdy boxes, but now I do and it is close enough that I can even drive to pick them up!

First of all, thanks for dropping by. I'm glad we caught your attention --although of course that was the point... })

And thanks for at least leaving the door open for now. We know that you have your hands full.

Now, what to change? I'm not so sure a full revision of the deck would be a good idea. Being the perfectionist that you are, Babalon, it would be extremely time consuming, and we would probably end up with a completely different deck. Keep in mind that, for us, the Rosetta is a deck we love and cherish; for you, it is the lesser, less mature, less accomplished sibling of the Tabula Mundi. I had a sit-down with both decks last night, and it made realize that, in some ways, the Rosetta is a promise that the Tabula Mundi fulfills --in spades, both as a work of art and a Tarot deck. But still the Rosetta is its own deck, with a gentler, friendlier feeling, and with a sort of freshness that's unique.

I'll give you a non-Tarot example. I'm a big fan of SFF writer Emma Bull. A lot of readers agree that her debut novel, War for the Oaks, can't hold a candle to some of her newer books, particularly Bone Dance; but, had she stopped writing after War for the Oaks, she would have still left her (big, big, big) mark in the fantasy genre. (Plus I have reread War for the Oaks a zillion times. No, a gazillion.)

What could be changed, IMO? Simpler things:

- Cardstock. The original one is pleasant to the touch, like some have remarked, but a little on the flimsy side. The TM's is so much better, with a similar feel, but matte and firm, and just a lil' thicker. Personally, I'm a sucker for linen cardstock (so firm and tasty, for lack of a better word), though I don't know if it would affect the vibrancy of the colors.

- Maybe a nicer box, like the TM's, although for me boxes are secondary.

- A new edition of the Book of Seshet. I don't have it, so I can't comment on it, but I'm sure revising it would be less drastic and a lot less time-consuming than revising the cards.

I don't really want to change the artwork as though I know that I now can do some cards and some of the medias better, I like it as it is and think that part should stay as a record.

As far as cardstock goes, you and daphne are both in luck I hope. The cardstock for the Tabula Mundi Nox et Lux was the exact same as Rosetta only 10# thicker. So I would go with that most likely if I used the same printers, because I liked it (I liked both of them actually) but also they got a new machine so that thinner stock cannot be used now anyway unless that changes again.

A reprinting of the book is a must, and I could update it with more info and make any needed corrections. I still get people asking for the book, as I printed far fewer of those than decks. While I am glad I can point them to the Fool's Dog apps iPhone and Android to get the full book, some people (myself included) prefer print books.

You could include a scarf? })
This cracked me up!

If anyone has more ideas (other than a Speedo haha) post them here. Maybe something will get me fired up to do it after the Tabula Mundi is finally done in color. I will need another project anyway, as my name is M and I am a tarotholic.

FLizarraga

I agree about the boxes. While I made those original boxes a side opening clamshell type rather than a top flap tuckbox which I think was better, it was still not a hard case which I too prefer. At the tiime I did not have a US source for good sturdy boxes, but now I do and it is close enough that I can even drive to pick them up!

<snip snip>

I don't really want to change the artwork as though I know that I now can do some cards and some of the medias better, I like it as it is and think that part should stay as a record.

As far as cardstock goes, you and daphne are both in luck I hope. The cardstock for the Tabula Mundi Nox et Lux was the exact same as Rosetta only 10# thicker. So I would go with that most likely if I used the same printers, because I liked it (I liked both of them actually) but also they got a new machine so that thinner stock cannot be used now anyway unless that changes again.

Those are great news indeed.

A reprinting of the book is a must, and I could update it with more info and make any needed corrections. I still get people asking for the book, as I printed far fewer of those than decks. While I am glad I can point them to the Fool's Dog apps iPhone and Android to get the full book, some people (myself included) prefer print books.

Apps are good in a pinch, especially for a quick consultation or as a substitute when the book is not available. But for study purposes, the book (even in ebook form) is a must.

I can't wait to see the color Tabula Mundi. I have been eyeing those majors with foil detail, and debating whether to get those or a pocket Rosetta. Decisions, decisions...